l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (15) All 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Favorites Of All Time (and Why), READ GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING
Masahiro
Posted: Jan 15 2005, 12:21 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 37396

man i agree with a lot of you guys on some choices, but i'm pretty sure no one mentioned one, and it really shocked me and hurt me cause its my favorite lol

Chobits: Call me a sap, call me a dimwit, call me a sucker, whatever. This series was awesome. In combined with innocent girl thing with a trying to be morally good guy and throw in the fact that the girl is a robot technicall and that the guy is trying his best to define what he wants his relationship to be with her and you've got Chobits. I loved the anime and the manga (save for the dubbed anime puke...) The character development is really good and although its really in the future you can apply the theme and the issues to the society to come because robots are slowly coming into existence and its a matter of time before such issues come up. To anyone who hasn't seen this and likes romantic comedy's you have to, you don't know how much you're depriving yourself lol.

Rurouni Kenshin: First and foremost, to all of you who say that you like the Reminiscense and Reflections OVAs, I have to say I like them and hate them to death at the same time. The movies themselves are awesome, they should win awards I think. But THEY CANT BE KENSHIN!!! In now way throughout the movies did I see the same Kenshin, it was like some weird imitator instead, it never seemed like Kenshin to me at all, or Sano at the ending OVA none of it seemed right and I felt like I had been mutiliated and was depressed for the longest time until i decided that this wasn't the ending to the Kenshin series in my mind lol. Anyway to the show itself, its awesome, you've got great action scenes that aren't ever really the same with themes in each episode and moral values explored as well.

Gungrave: Surprised no one put this up either. It's about a mafia member known as Brandon Heat and his friend Harry MacDowwel and their dreams to become high ranking mafia members. It's by the same guy as Trigun, and I personally think it's superior to Trigun. I like how the story is told in past tense, looking back into the past for 3/4 of the series and then reverting to present times for the ending, and I thought the ending was so sad but at the end beautiful in its own.

Saikano: Tragic Romance of all time without a doubt. The lives of Chise and Shuuji (i believe his name was) are totally warped when first Chise asks Shuuji to be her boyfriend. Chise is a clumsy girl who's very shy while Shuuji is a bigger guy who seems wiser than his age lets you on. Their world is turned into hell when Chise is turned into a android type robot to fight against Japan's enemies during a battle (we never find out against who) and it slowly transforms and takes over her, and its about how the two try to fight it and live their lives, which *SPOILER* ultimately ends up in her dying. The ultimate ending leave sthe entire world destroyed for Shuuji, who was protected by Chise with her life, and i'll be the first to say i cried like a baby throughout the series and the end left me depressed forever lol. But it was still freaking great. Anyone who likes tragic comedy's HAS to watch thi sone, but onliy watch it once, a second time and i'm pretty sure no one would recover lol.

GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka): lol coolest comedy show of all time almost. It's about an ex biker gang member who wants to become a teacher and his problems becoming one and helping his students. Sounds fruitty right? It's the exact opposite of what you'd think initially: it's freaking hilarious, deep, intense, and moving at teh same time.

I'd put up more but i don't want to drag this out too long so that's it i guess.
PMEmail Poster
gabrielzero
Posted: Jan 15 2005, 04:31 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 37401

Fruits basket : Cause it's one of those feel good animes. It's not depressing and not confuseing
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
Mr. Durp
Posted: Jan 19 2005, 11:26 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 37221

Excel Saga:Extremely hyper, crazy, wacky messed up fun. So messed up in fact, that they say that if you watch more than 5 episodes a day , you will lose your mind.

Gungrave:Total badass, best zombie/mafia/sci-fi ever! Brandon heat is sooooooo cool.---#1 sweeper assasin

Naruto:Ninja-action/comedy it's a totally cool world where being a ninja is normal

PMEmail Poster
martiny2m
Posted: Jan 20 2005, 06:17 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 37598

my favroate is rikku because shes cute

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Mr. Durp
Posted: Jan 20 2005, 09:38 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 37221

uhhh... in case you didn't know we're taking about favorite series....not characters
PMEmail Poster
omoikane
Posted: Jan 20 2005, 09:56 PM
Quote Post

♪mojimoji shite kimoi ne♪
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 14

Just want to amend my list with this title (HOW CAN I FORGET? STUPID ME)

It's so good and deserving I'm not even going to bother to edit it in my original post besides to add a link to this post. It's that good.

Millennium Actress
It's the story of an autobiography of an aging, retired star. Her long-time fan now turned producer plays the narrative for our journey into Satoshi Kon's (director) charming and bitter-sweet portrait of an unrequited love. I'm going to cop a paragraph from this review I found on IMDB here.
"The animation in the film tends to be minimalist except for a few instances where it is cast in significant passage of film (for example running), but the art direction and technique which realize various era of Japanese history and provides a fluid transition between fictional flashbacks to accounts rooted in reality is most elegantly and superbly executed. Character design is accordingly appealing, especially the depiction of Chiyoko through various stages of her life that delineates the same dignity and purity. So much so that it seems almost as if Chiyoko itself transcends to some abstract form of ideal love, only unrequited, and therefore something of great potential but not wasted; since it essentially defies time and space, as allegorically portrayed in her various film roles."

To me, it's not also just a great film from a revolutionary director, but sentimentally powerful and uplifting. Of course, your personal interpretation will vary, but if you can grasp it beyond it's slippery shifting of imageries and bouncing back and forth between reality and surreality, I'm sure you'll find something worthwhile at the least. It's also the type of movie that bears rewatching, as the typical Kon movie bears.

Why is it good? In short, it's the type of work that makes me have faith in the genre. Finally, someone does it right. And also I probably watched it during a time when it had a lot of impact on me personally. Oh well.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
gamingguy
Posted: Jan 21 2005, 09:27 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 37382

Cowboy Bebop. The animation is exellent, and the story is sw33t. I also like the humor they put in, it's usually pretty funny. Also, the characters are really cool. Vivious is a sw33t villan, ans Spike is a total badass. It's by far my favorite anime show.
PMEmail PosterAOL
HeavenlyRapture
Posted: Jan 21 2005, 12:07 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 37577

I love Millennium Actress as well. The story was so beautiful, and you feel every emotion of the main character Chiyoko. The art is very symbolic as well, such as the rings on the wood to symbolize her long life, and there's a crane pictured all thourghout the scenery too. Not sure what the crane means though. If anyone can clear that up for me I'd appreciate it.
PMEmail Poster
omoikane
Posted: Jan 21 2005, 12:50 PM
Quote Post

♪mojimoji shite kimoi ne♪
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (HeavenlyRapture @ Jan 21 2005, 01:07 PM)
The art is very symbolic as well, such as the rings on the wood to symbolize her long life, and there's a crane pictured all thourghout the scenery too. Not sure what the crane means though. If anyone can clear that up for me I'd appreciate it.

Crane?

Must be real subtle. In typical chinese imageries the lotus flower and the crane are all signs of longevity. Can you be a tad more specific? I don't really remember :3
HeavenlyRapture
Posted: Jan 21 2005, 01:21 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 37577

To omoikane, yeah throughout the movie there are pictures of crames. You can see them on Chiyoko's baby blanket, a painting of the crane in her home when she is an old woman, on a side of a truck. If you watch the movie again you'll see what I mean.
PMEmail Poster
Nitz
Posted: Jan 28 2005, 04:35 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 24587

My favorite anime is Naurto becouse its packed full of comedy,drama,action, and struggle.Its one of the greatest animes of all time, i just love watching and reading it, Kakashi is my favorite character.
Nitz
Posted: Jan 28 2005, 04:44 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 24587

But really this is hard becouse it would take me a week to type up all my favorite animes along with why i like them, i have a 8 page list of animes i like typed in 12 font so yea...it would take forever.
heeroyuy965
Posted: Jan 31 2005, 09:31 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 34311

>nitz - use the edit button next time

kanon-the best of all time would have to be kanon, its defently my favorite. the art work is very nice and crisp, even if all thier eyes are huge even for anime. the story is what makes this anime so good, its based on a bishoujo (that i liked), but the actual anime doent have any nudity or anything. i liked the characters they were very fun and cute =). the story at first isnt to interseting, but once you start to pay attention to the story you wont want to stop watching. i feel bad for the people who watched it on tv in japan cause most of the eppisodes end in cliff hangers, expecially when you get twards the end of the series. but if you have all the eppisodes or the dvds the it is fine. some parts are funny but for the most part it is very sad, i cried. the only thing i didnt like was the last eppisode, #13 in my opinon it was a bad ending, it made it seem to much like a fairy tale, cause everything that went wrong in the stroy is al resolved and they all live happiy ever after. so if you just ignore the last eppisode then its the best anime that ive ever seen.
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
psychopete
Posted: Feb 10 2005, 06:14 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 34541

FLCL: Crazy as all hell
Excel Saga: Craziest show I have ever seen
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi: Second place on my crazy anime list
Azumanga Daioh: It is crazy, 3rd place on my list.
Happy Lesson: I like the show, mainly due to the jokes and the expressions Chitose makes all the time.
I like crazy anime, alright? Well, actually, everyone knows about FLCL, so what do I care? Crazy comedy is awesome!
WinterBorn
Posted: Feb 10 2005, 09:33 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 38154

Spirited Away:I love Spirited Away! I think the animation is amazing and the story is beautifull. I love Chihiro (Sen) a lot. She really evolved in the film from being a brat to being a respectable young child. The characters were amazing and the story was unique. I just adored it!

Sailor Moon:Well Sailor Moon was my first anime ever. It was something that got in into Japanese Animation. I love the small stories and how it is pretty unique when it was made. My favorite character is Helios and Chibiusa. I think both of them are cute together. I also like Usagi and Chiba together but I also thought Seiya (Sailor Moon Stars) would have been cute but if Usagi went with Seiya then their would be no Chibiusa or Helios for that matter. Anyway before I keep ranting on I love the anime a lot!

Gravitation:I love shonen-ai stuff or yaoi stuff a lot and this show really was the best of the best in my opinion (besides Fake!) and I just love Yuki even though he is a cold bastard but who cares! lol... Anyway I just love the idea of Gravitation. It really knocked my socks off!

(More Soon)
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
gamingguy
Posted: Feb 11 2005, 02:14 PM
Quote Post

Ranma looks great. I need to start with that. Does anyone know how it is?
PMEmail PosterAOL
JM2000
Posted: Feb 13 2005, 10:46 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 38213

Zeta Gundam
Argueably the best Gundam series to date. A very dark story taking place 7 years after the One Year War. The AEUG(Anti Earth Union Group) is at war with the corrupt Titans and Federation government. When the AEUG infiltrate a Titans base one day trying to capture the Titans new RX-178 Gundam MK-II, a youth by the name of Camille Bidan helps them capture these three new units. After Camille does so his life is changed forever.

ZZ Gundam
A year after defeating the Titans during the Grypps War the AEUG is again at war, this time with Haman Khans Neo Zeon. The lead character this time is youth Judau Ashta. When Neo Zeon enter the colony of Shangri Li Judau and his gang help the AEUG by trying to stop the Zeons attack the Argama.
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
pajamieez
Posted: Feb 14 2005, 01:19 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 36072

Voice of a Distant Star (Mech-Romance) - This one was created by one guy. Usually that doesn't always mean it's good, but some how you can tell he was really involved in his work. Shinkai's artwork isnt' that good, but the pace of story telling and the theme was top notch and intergrated CG and Hand drawn scenes rather well for an intersting effect. You will cry.

Love Hina (Comedy-Drama) - I collected all Manga's (Japanese and American), the anime (Fansubbed and American DVD's), posters, artwork, and I emulated Ken Akamatsu's drawing technique just a little bit. It's hilarious and funny. Everyone can relate to Keitero one way or another and doesn't everyone wish Motoko loved them too!?

Macross/Robotech (Mech-War-Romance) - Damn you Carl Macek! Why did you screw up one of the best Sci-fi mech action romances of our time! However, even after the terrible butchering, Macross/Robotech still kicked ass. That's how good it was. Ichijo Hikaru (Rick Hunter) Lin Minmei, Roy Fokker and rest of the characters are so memorable that they'll burn into your memory forever.

Ruroni Kenshin (Marital Arts) - Damn, wandering samurai kick so much ass. Yeah, there's Ninja Scroll and every reencarnation of Jubei from here to japan but none of them defeated enemies with a reversed blade sword. The Prologue and Epilogue OVA's really set a tone for the Kenshin world. Forget Tom Cruise, Kenshin truly is the last samurai.

Record of Lodoss War OVA's (Fantasy epic) - Ever play a fantasy RPG and wish it were an anime? Lodoss War does the job perfectly. What people think of when someone casts a fire ball or an elemental spell, Lodoss War makes it reality. You want someone so evil he rivals Sepheroth, Ashrom is seeking you out.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahoo
Shinji202
Posted: Feb 14 2005, 06:02 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 23493

QUOTE (gamingguy @ Feb 11 2005, 02:14 PM)
Ranma looks great. I need to start with that. Does anyone know how it is?

Very entertaining, original, Rumiko Takahashi goodness.....that you'll be fed up with after a little while because well....nothing happens actually. (I've read the last chapter of the manga, I know!!!!!)

I loved Maison Ikkoku and hated Inuyasha respectively in other news.
PMEmail Poster
gamingguy
Posted: Feb 15 2005, 07:30 PM
Quote Post

How many people like Case Closed? That's a good detective story, but it';s doo damn long.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Nathan_Thai
Posted: Feb 16 2005, 06:13 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 38231

Naruto all the way. The jutsu are awsome, the characters are awsome, and the weapons are awsome.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQAOLYahooMSN
icfuzzybunnies
Posted: Feb 20 2005, 10:04 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 38361

My favs of all time:

-My Neighbor Totoro: The whole story is so random and funny. Neko no basu is one of my favorite phrases now!

-Trouble Chocolate: For anyone who has seen this one, you know what I mean. I've watched it in both Japanese and English, and I can tell you they are very differently translated. The translations make for some hilarious dialogue though. I would suggest this to anyone, especially if they are slap happy.

- Excel Saga: Completely random situations as described in TC.

biggrin.gif
Kyuseishuu
Posted: Feb 23 2005, 04:33 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 38426

Kannazuki no Miko. A very great story which combining a japanese myth and a super robot story... plus lots of yuri's action tongue.gif

i cant stop crying after finished the final episode... it's so touchy
PMEmail Poster
Gazdakka Gizbang
Posted: Feb 24 2005, 03:12 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 38459

Neon Genesis Evangelion. It's easily my favourite anime of all time and it's pretty clear as to why it is for any self-respecting anime fan (by the way, this includes the movies). Blending philosophical, religious, mecha-style and deep character complexities, it kicks the @$$ out of anything I have tried to compare it with. I could never stop respecting Hideaki Anno for making such a groundbreaking masterpiece for its time, which went beyond its stereotypical barriers and became something that hasn't really been seen a second time, and nothing else has driven or compelled me to take deep investigation or involvement personally. 9 years on and it still hits home to modern viewers, adding to that it's the only series that anyone has ever actually asked if they could borrow off me (the count so far is 15+ people) and was what introduced a number of them into anime. Many people do not like this anime simply because they do not understand or comprehend it, and whilst that is reasonable in itself, they should not criticise or complain about it if they don't even know its inner meaning.

A timeless classic and one of those anime you have to watch.

Ghost in the Shell. Yeah, this pretty much is one of the anime that'd fall into the favourites of many people with Western backgrounds (mainly Americans) and was one of the first to actually have an impact on the world outside of Asia. If you've heard of anime, chances are you've heard of GITS. Like Evangelion it is another deeply philosophical story and many people have criticised it for being so, but that still doesn't dissolve my likeness of it. Very deep and inspirational cyberpunk thriller, spawned a sequel last year AND the SAC series which I discuss later, as well as being a main inspiration for the Matrix. Made by acclaimed director Mamoru Oshii, it's another one that people list as "Essential Anime".

Ninja Scroll. Your run-of-the-mill medieval Japanese film that spawned many other ninja series in time. Still available in DVD stores with its re-released editions, I've come to enjoy its stylised look and action. Though outdated in modern times, it still feels good to pull it out and watch it again for all time's sake.

Hellsing. This one came as a genuine surprise to me, a show with a rather freakish trailer that my sister was intriguesd to get. Turns out I enjoyed it more than she did and I'm still out looking for the whole collection. One of those few titles in which I was initially forced to view the Japanese version, and made me actually like the Japanese voice actors. An interesting vampire movie that could be placed aside Blood: The Last Vampire or Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, and though it only goes for 13 episodes (lucky 13.... laugh.gif), it did have some decent moments in it.

Stand-Alone Complex. When I heard about the series from my friend I had originally theorised that it would be a crappy takeoff from the movie, with subpar storyline and thought put into it. I would like to say I was very, very wrong and that it went brilliantly in both the aforementioned areas. Though some of its CGI moments are quite blotchy and could have easily been substituted by actual anime (aka, car movements, etc.) it fulfilled its purpose and gave the idea of a cybernetic universe in which standalone individuals act independently of the whole network. Plenty of twisty moments and another recommended anime IMO.

Honourable mentions of other favourites which I can't discuss cause I don't have any time:
- Berserk
- Excel Saga- Bubblegum Crisis 2040- Akira- Ninja Resurrection
- Others which i can't remember at the moment......

This post has been edited by Gazdakka Gizbang on Feb 24 2005, 03:14 AM
PMEmail PosterMSN
burntash
Posted: Mar 2 2005, 07:24 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 38654

Hellsing - One of the most bad ass animes I have seen, i own the boxed set and love it, great fight scenes, alucard is the man!

Love Hina - One of my favorites, great story, great characters, it was really funny too! Kinda reminds me of Megatokyo.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - A huge improvement from the first one both artistically and with the storyline

Ghost in the Shell - A confusing anime, but a really good one nonetheless. Cant say much that hasnt been said about it already.

Ninja Scroll First Anime film I ever saw, and it was great from dialogue to art. It is a classic that I too like to pull out every now and again.

Berserk - I have only seen the first couple of episodes but it looks awesome so far, I am really enjoying it. Hope to watch the rest of the series.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (15) All 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll