l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (15) All « First ... 13 14 [15]  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Favorites Of All Time (and Why), READ GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING
leapyear29
Posted: Dec 18 2009, 05:19 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 68248

I have a few favorites at the moment..
right now i prefer anything Psychological or with a really dark story line.. ninjanatsD.gif emot-kamina.gif

Basilisk
Darker than black
Deathnote
D. Gray-Man
Fullmetal Alchemist
PMEmail Poster
omoikane
Posted: Dec 18 2009, 07:13 AM
Quote Post

♪mojimoji shite kimoi ne♪
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 14

please read the guide lines in the first post before posting--explain your choices!
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Esper Ranger
Posted: Dec 20 2009, 05:44 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 68159

As far as manga goes my all time favorites are:

G.S. Mikami - not only because of the characters but because of the high level of world building that went on as the series progressed. The author began to go into great detail about the hows and whys of the supernatural world and how the magitech that the ghost sweepers would use. The little background (unrequited) love story between Okinu and Yokoshima was nice too.

Negima! - for the same reasons as G.S. Mikami. Extremely well thought out and detailed world. Great characters and the art is all that and a bag of chips. Even the little details like the pactio cards and even the wand-ring that Evangeline gives Negi are designed nice. Negi and Nodoka 4-eva!

Off the top of my head my favorite modern anime would be Dai Guard because I liked the idea of normal people fighting giant monsters with a robot that is far from all powerful.
PMEmail Poster
SteinHakase
Posted: Jun 9 2010, 01:13 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 68732

In no particular order:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: One of the most well done animes I have ever encountered, GITS: SAC is well animated, and has a fast-paced plot that keeps you guessing.

Mai-Hime: Probably the most heart-wrenching anime I have ever seen, Mai-Hime mixes great plot with excellent character development.

Soul Eater: Because a show about people turning into weapons to fight against crazy people just can't take itself seriously. Soul Eater doesn't. In any way.

FLCL: Who doesn't want to watch an alien who uses a bass to fight robots that pop out of people's heads.

.hack//Sign: great anime set in a video game, but with minimal references to game mechanics, is more like a fantasy setting. Intriguing character-oriented plot, with great development, coupled with an unparalleled soundtrack

Durarara: when one of the main characters doesn't have a head, you KNOW an anime is going to take you on a wild ride, Durarara does exactly that.

This post has been edited by SteinHakase on Jun 9 2010, 02:11 AM
PMEmail Poster
ShizuoHH
Posted: Jun 12 2010, 04:47 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 69738

I think the best anime I have seen is Elfen Lied .
- 'Cause it's not only blood, it goes so much deeper. A dark, good story.

But I also like Baccano&Durarara - Ryohgo Narita.. very enjoyable animes smile.gif
Ehm, for the time beeing, Naruto is awesome biggrin.gif With his entrance to Konoha and the fight against Pain :3
I also think Ouran Host Club is exellent anime. It's very funny ^^

This post has been edited by ShizuoHH on Jun 12 2010, 04:47 PM
PMEmail Poster
readerwhite19
Posted: Jul 2 2010, 01:23 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 69998

Here is mine..

Sailormoon - i like it because it gives a full romance. This is the first anime ive watch starting when i was in grade school.

ghost fighter - well, this is one of my favorite. I just like the anime character name KURAMA.

This two are just my top best anime, but i love all anime. even im not a teen anymore i still watch anime.
PMEmail Poster
Tovakashi
Posted: Jul 2 2010, 03:54 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 69999

Here is mine, left the biggest impression anime:

Grave of the fireflies - very sad movie, I have never seen before anything sad like that, I mean I don't know is it could be another sad anime like this one.

Princess Mononoke - I liked the idea, alive forest, princess, she is a wild!

5 Centimeters Per Second - just saw this anime, and left really big impression, music, characters, love...
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
GouryG
Posted: Jul 2 2010, 02:47 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 47794

Ok here are some of my all time favorites which are mostly old school titles

Bubblegum Crisis 2032 / 2033 : Basicly the one that got me started collecting, it had a good story line and cool mech designs. Most episodes were totally self contained stories that were part of the overall story.

The Dirty Pair: Girls, guns, big explosions, and chaos, mayhem and destruction in their wake wherever the Lovely Angels go. Just total fun to watch, they don't mean to be so destructive, but they just always go overkill when they go after the bad guys.

Mazinger: one of the greatest old school giant robot animes ever. It set the standard that it's successors were judged by.

Slayers: I have always loved the fantasy adventure genre. The motley cast of characters always crack me up.

Cutey Honey: One of several great titles created bu Go Nagi. A don't fuck with me heroine who can do almost anything and plenty of fanservice. (LOL) biggrin.gif

That's all for now
PMEmail Poster
princessmayer
Posted: Jul 13 2010, 10:39 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 70093

this one is mine..

Sailormoon - because of its so much romantic.. i like all their dresses and accesories. She is very pretty for me

Hunter x hunter - i like kurapika, his very handsome and smart..

YUYU hakusho - i got a crush on kurama.. i can say his my one true love..

samurai x - well, kinshin, is the best sword fighter ever. i like the way he fights bad guy..

wedding peach - like sailormoon, i also like there customes

slayers - interesting to watch..love it so much..

saber marionnette -

night hunter - ohh my gosh, they are all cute and handsome 7 guys..

baki the grapler - well, his one tough guy.. i like the way he fights for his mom..

wub.gif wub.gif
PMEmail Poster
hime-kubiwa-kamome
Posted: Jul 16 2010, 06:52 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 34431

Okay, some background information. My first anime was Astro Boy when I was 8 or 9-years-old. I loved it, but only had a vague notion it came from across the Pacific. So the first anime that sucked me in was (drum roll) Pokemon. Sigh. I’ll admit it, I love Team Rocket and they dragged me into it. From there I went to the local video store and branched out a bit, and I kept on adding branches.

The following list leaves out a lot of anime I enjoy immensely, but can’t make myself call all-time favorites. For instance I dearly love “Tenchi Muyo!” with its harem, sci fi fantasy universe, world destroying action, and goofy characters but it’s not at the top of the list.

So what is at the top? Read on.

Series:

1. Cowboy Bebop – No surprise and all too familiar, but I’d be lying if I left it off the list because it’s “too popular”. Such pungent low-life characters living their low-lives with a sheen of cool which makes the poverty of being a bounty hunter seem almost fun. What a soundtrack, what an interesting take on the future of the solar system without hitting the viewer over the head about how it got that way, and somehow it manages to be both episodic and have a clearly discernable story arc. You like martial arts? It’s there. You like gun play? It’s there. Chase scences? Check. Gorgeous femme fatales? Yep. Scary cool bad guys? Oh yes. Dark film noir? Yes indeed. And so much more.

2. Haibane Renmei– And now for something completely different. Often disorienting because it is told from the perspective of a girl that is born into a world and who has to learn that world’s arcane rules and find a meaningful existence. A little like “The Prisoner” without the suffocating paranoia . The winged beings called Haibane live in a walled world where they must find work to help and interact with townsfolk who treat them as good luck charms. This is a beautiful anime with great background art, character designs, and a lovely soundtrack influenced by classical and folk music. There’s a lot of hinting at Buddhist philosophy too, despite the quasi-Christian imagery recalling angels. It’s about friendship, redemption, how to live a good life, and grace.

3. Mushishi – Another beautifully rendered anime. Rather like “The Twilight Zone” for naturalists. For the purposes of the manga and anime Mushi are organisms or quasi-organisms that co-exisit with humans and sometimes unnervingly interact with them. However they are part of the very fabric of the world and must be treated with respect. The show is episodic as we follow a wandering Mushi-practitioner named Ginko from case to case. Sort of “Have Mushi Will Travel”. The show has an eerie vibe and tells little unsettling fairy-tales in each episode. I like it because the Mushi are of Nature and to understand them requires one to be a naturalist. If it has taxonomy and natural history I’m there.

4. His and Her Circumstances (Kare Kano) – I love both the manga and anime. The anime with its quick cuts, manga illustrations and sound effects, moody interludes in deserted school venues and on city streets, and lightning delivery of dialogue and story details utterly distracts you from its lack of lengthy animation. The story itself features memorable and fun characters and gives you lots of their internal monologues as their doubts and hopes come to the fore. The indomitable, enthusiastic, and egotistical Yukino and the talented, cool , and troubled Arima provide a solid central focus to the story, but the side characters shine too.

5. Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex – Sure it’s got too much technobabble and it was derived from a lot of earlier edgy cyberpunk, but it’s got a lot going for it. Convoluted plotting that focuses squarely on the issue of humankind melding into machinekind and what that does to our concepts of mind, corporeal independence, and mortality. Cool professional characters. Great production values and a slick Yoko Kanno soundtrack. It can indeed stand alone against the Oshii movies (which see below under movies).

6. Aria (all three iterations) – Like smoking a joint without the stupid. So relaxing, sweet, nostalgic, and pretty. It’s a bit silly to plop Venice down on a terraformed Mars just to show off its charms. Maybe we needed the Sci Fi elements to accept gondoliers having changed from men in striped shirts to pretty teen girls in white slit skirts. The personalities of the guides are all top notch, even allowing for mildly scolding Aika and grumpy perfectionist Akira. The main guide is perpetual optimistic enthusiast and part-time dojiko (clumsy girl) Akari. She’s a good guide, because everything is new and wonderful to her. For a cat person the occasional cat-centric episodes are a bonus (even if President Aria is a really weird kitty).

7. Princess Tutu – What if the person writing the narrative was writing a tragedy but the characters rebelled? Sweet characters with tragic overtones. The hero does not end up with a textbook happy ending, then again she was a duck when she started anyway. Lots of classical music, references to great warhorses of the ballet, dancing, antics, true heroism, and a bittersweet fairytale.

8. Trigun – Crossover madness as we are treated to a Sci Fi, spaghetti western, adventure in insurance claim adjustment. It starts out comic, becomes tragicomic, passes through tragedy, and blows clean through to a sort of redemption. Who and what hero Vash might be is kept teasingly beyond the viewer’s grasp for almost the entire series although the hints keep piling up. One thing is certain Vash dearly tries to be a bodhisattva or Christ-like figure in a very violent and harsh world.

9. Kamichu! - A nice sideways approach to the Magical Girl show. A cute, quiet, shy, unassuming middle school student awakes one day to find she’s a Shinto goddess. It’s surprisingly mundane for magical stuff, although the show can be an imaginative head trip as well. There’s a Ghibliesque feel to the proceedings with all of the various spirits around town that Yurie can see (but her girlfriends and eventual boyfriend cannot). The side cast is charming as well.

10. Kino’s Journey – It’s the journey that counts not the goal. A little heavy-handed at times with its frequently bleak take on human nature, but Kino and her anthropomorphic motorbike Hermes are good guides. Kino is a traveler who views the world with her eyes wide-open. Living in the now. Gentle, practical, and tough when she needs to be. The animation and character designs are not great, but the storytelling and the stories are what count in this thought-provoking anime journey.

11. Twelve Kingdoms – Cliff notes for would-be Taoist rulers. The star of this show is the world of the Twelve Kingdoms itself as it is complex, exotic, and presented in loving detail. It does not hurt that it has several memorable characters including Yoko who grows in stature by the episode as she faces a destiny she never knew she had, her wise and kind best friend Rakushun (nothing wrong with a man being a mouse), the conflicted spoiled princess Shoukei, and the tormented displaced Suzu .

12. Emma – Nothing to do with Jane Austen (another nice Emma but with nowhere near the humility). It’s England in the 1890s, Emma is a maid-servant to a former private tutor of wealthy boys. She’s got no formal education but she’s been educated by her mistress, and she’s loyal, hard-working, and capable. One of her mistress’s former protégés drops by and, sadly for both of them, it’s love at first sight. Okay, so love affairs against all odds are as old as the hills it’s still satisfying to see such a tale told artfully and well. There’s something about a woman in a uniform.

13. Azumanga Daioh – I notice a severe lack of pure comedy above. Although there are lots of uproariously funny anime it’s hard to top Azumanga Daioh for laid-back goofiness laced with laugh out loud funny schtick. There is no shortage of loons in this cast combined with some great straight men to set up the loons. From self-proclaimed wildcat girl Tomo, to the prototypical irresponsible sensei Yukari, to the comic non-sequiturs of Osaka this hilarious aimless wander through high school never stops till graduation.

Movies:

1. Princess Mononoke –This story is mythological in its scope and ambition as a cursed Ainu prince seeks his fate in exile and meets a girl raised by the animist wolf-gods of the forest. It’s also about the inevitable conflict of human “progress” with the powerful spirits of non-human Nature. A lot of this story is nostalgia for a pre-Buddhist Shinto Japan, but it’s gorgeous, amazingly animated, and thought-provoking nonetheless.

2. My Neighbor Totoro – The kids are alright and so are their big fluffy “imaginary” friends. Another Myiazaki nostalgia trip laced with fantasy and the very real fears of childhood when parents prove weak and all too mortal. Much less serious and dark than most other Myiazaki tales, but he keeps it real in all of the little details of life in 1950s rural Japan as seen though rose-colored retrospect.

3. Whisper of the Heart – Ghibli is not simply Myiazaki, although he wrote the screenplay for this one, this was directed by Isao Takahata. A delightful shoujo coming of age story. A girl with a talent decides to develop it after meeting a remarkable boy musician who shares her taste in books. It’s a love story, but it’s also about becoming who you could be with some inspiration and a lot of application.

4. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time – Sweetly sentimental without being syrupy. Makoto has been whiling away her days going to school and playing ball with her buddies Chiaki and Kousuke. She accidentally acquires the ability to leap through time and generally misuses it until she finds things have gotten complicated. How she straightens thing out is both heartbreaking and inspiring. Beautifully animated with a fine soundtrack (with snippets of the Goldberg Variations).

5. Ghost in the Shell - High quality brainy sci fi and a great early indication of what Production I.G. could do. If anything more complicated and a ton more philosophical than the TV series. Still it oozes a gritty cool with its urban settings and haunting soundtrack. The final scene in the ruined museum was amazing for its mood, its philosophical ramblings, and its initial frenetic action.

6. Tokyo Godfathers – Satoshi Kon’s other feature films have more phantasmagoric effects but this one has a lot more down to earth humanity. The central down-and-outers of this tale of a wintry urban Tokyo and its seedy inhabitants is a grand tour and a rollercoaster adventure. All to help an abandoned baby who leaves no life untouched in his wake.

Honorable mention:
Most other Ghibli films with the exception of The Cat Returns (it’s still fun) and Howl’s Moving Castle (confusing storyline, not as heartfelt as other Myiazaki films).

Toradora! fun romantic comedy with spicy well-drawn characters and a predictable, yet satisfying, storyline.

Serial Experiments Lain – Unsettling. Sometimes the internet still gives me the creeps. I mean that in a good way.

Cardcaptor Sakura – Hoooo-eee! Sakura is confronted with a magical bad guy again, but not to worry with Kero-chan, Tomoyo, and Shaoran to help she’ll figure it out in the nick of time. Sugary sweet magical girl goodness.

Genshiken – This could be you and your friends. Or not. Great characters. I would be tempted to overlook the raunchier second season, but that’s where Ogiue is.

Neon Genesis Evangelion – Oh so pretentious, but as a package it works surprisingly well. Characters , suspense, and mystery drive it onward to its messy conclusion.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya – Beautifully put together with a fun story and good characters. The girl who gets what she wants but doesn’t know it and the guy who knows it and can’t keep his sardonic wit to himself.

This post has been edited by hime-kubiwa-kamome on Jul 16 2010, 07:00 PM
PMEmail Poster
JTurner
Posted: Oct 12 2010, 12:13 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 71287

Favorites, favorites, let me see....

Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Whisper of the Heart -- It is difficult for me to choose a favorite Ghibli movie, as I genuinely like them all (save perhaps for The Cat Returns, which I found shallow and weak—although I haven't seen Tales from Earthsea yet. But all five of these are on my top five in no particular order. There's so much that I enjoy out of all these films: the relationship dynamics of Kiki, Totoro, and Whisper, the ecological angle and character complexity of Mononoke, and the fantastic slam-bang action and adventure of Castle. That and they are also wonderfully dubbed in English by the folks at Disney. Particularly excellent are Phil Hartman as Jiji, Elle Fanning as Mei, Mark Hamill as Muska, Cloris Leachman as Dola, Minnie Driver as Lady Eboshi, Keith David as Okkoto, Cary Elwes as the Baron, and Harold Gould as Mr. Nishi. Although really, everybody else does a great job too. Even the casting choices that often get a lot of flak (the lead characters in Castle, Billy Bob Thornton in Mononoke, and Dakota Fanning in Totoro, maybe perhaps the leads of Whisper) turn in better-than-average to good performances. Every one of these dubs are a delight. I just can't watch them in Japanese.

Castle of Cagliostro -- Technically not a Ghibli movie, but this was Miyazaki's first feature as a director, and it certainly deserves mention. It's funny, fast-paced, clever, action-packed, and truly memorable. The animation is a bit dated, but frankly, it's still full of imagination and detail as any of Miyazaki's other films. The AniMaze dub is mostly good, but suffers from an overdose of profanity. I do like the cast, however, and the writing, aside from that problem, is very witty and a lot of fun.

Record of Lodoss War OVA -- This was the first series I saw that helped convert me to Anime fandom. Although old, it's still a rollicking fantasy adventure tale, with appealing characters and a deeply imaginative, compelling (if not original) plot. The animation is a bit stilted at times, but the design to detail is extraordinary. The music is beautiful, too. And even though I'm probably in the minority, I actually like the dub on this one. Yeah, it is a 1996 dub and so there are a couple of stiff moments, but otherwise it's good and well-suited to a fantasy adventure of this kind. (There are times when scenery chewing and overacting can be beneficial to the material, and this is no exception.) Particularly memorable is Lisa Ortiz's performance as Deedlit; while she has gone on to be better known as Lina Inverse, this still remains a favorite of mine.

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water -- Note: only episodes 1-22, 31, and 35-39. This is somewhat similar to Castle in the Sky in terms of story flow and character types, but it takes on an identity of its own for setting in a steampunk 19th century Europe, and is very loosely based on "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea". The characters are all well-developed and there are some truly memorable episodes which are heartbreaking, emotionally charged, exciting, funny, and heartwarming. The dub is also very enjoyable; done by ADV's Monster Island studios, it casts actual children as the protagonists, and has a similarly compelling adult cast. That said, I have two reservations about this title: first, the title character is not particularly consistent or always likeable, and second, it's too long, with a good dozen episodes (23-29, 32-34) coming across as not only terrible, but absolutely useless. The show's appealing qualities do keep this in my favorites, but the drawbacks really did tarnish it.

Fullmetal Alchemist -- One of the most amazing things about this show is how it actually manages to remain consistently entertaining and engrossing for all fifty-one episodes.—none of which delve into out of character nonsense or mindless stupidity. FMA is all the better for it, and it also has a very well produced dub: Funimation has every reason to be proud of this one.

His and Her Circumstances -- My only disappointment with this title is that it suffers from the usual Gainax trainwreck: starts out promisingly, then derails spectacularly in its latter half. Which is a shame, because this is both moving and loads of fun. Alternatingly wacky in style and emotionally profound, H&HC is a compelling, funny, and entertaining study of two high school students who become sweethearts once they reveal their true selves. As the female lead, Veronica Taylor gives one of her best performances ever.

The Vision of Escaflowne -- A very engrossing and consistently compelling sci-fi/fantasy tale about a young girl from reality drawn into a far off planet. Yoko Kanno's soundtrack is spectacular, as are the production values. It also has one of the best love triangles I've ever seen in any story. Hitomi, Allen, and Van all come across as fully realized, fleshed out individuals with appealing attributes and fragile failings. The dub by Ocean Studios is neither awful nor spectacular—it's only OK, but watchable.

The Slayers -- One of the funniest fantasy-adventure-comedy serials ever, with a likeable quartet of heroes (fiery tempered Lina Inverse, dumb but loyal Gourry, exuberant Amelia, and brooding Zelgadis) and outrageously funny episodes that will have one on the floor. Lisa Ortiz, Veronica Taylor, Crispin Freeman, and Eric Stuart crack chemistry together.

This post has been edited by JTurner on Oct 12 2010, 03:17 PM
PMEmail Poster
koyomix
Posted: Apr 12 2011, 01:48 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 73470

[lol spam deleted]
PMEmail Poster
Cyrialis
Posted: Jun 26 2011, 04:26 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 73771

Death Note
One of the only Mangas/Animes with an anti-Hero
Honestly-It is at least an anime you can´t tell how the ending will be
(if you watch it the first time...... dry.gif )
And the Main characters Light , L, Near, Mello are just awesome.

Code Geass
All lot of action and the story is one of the best developed I know.
It´s a shame that it´s an open ending.
PMEmail Poster
Cyrialis
Posted: Jun 26 2011, 04:50 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 73771

Death Note
A high school students decides to use the powers of a death god he had acquired (the Death note, everyone whose name is written in there dies) to kill every criminal in the world and become the God of a new World....
One of the only Mangas/Animes with an anti-Hero
Honestly-It is at least an anime you can´t tell how the ending will be
(if you watch it the first time...... dry.gif )
And the Main characters Light , L, Near, Mello are just awesome.

Code Geass
Britannica rules a wide Part of the World- also it conquered Japan using the New Knightmare Technology (some kind of Mechas) and re-named it district 15.
the Brittanican Lelouch ve britannia gets,the Gift of the Rulers, the Geass from the misterious C.C.
With it he can order every body to do as he commands but just once.
using this Power he tries as "ZERO" to destroy the brittanican Empire and his Father ,king of Brittanica.

All lot of action and the story is one of the best developed I know.
It´s a shame that it´s an open ending.

Full Metal ALchemist..
This one is Obvious- Just look at the Avatar...... laugh.gif
Human kind cannot gain anything without giving something in Return.
-Al and Edward Elric have to learn this one the hard way as they try
to revive their mother with alchemy,one of the things forbidden and impossible in this art.
-During the Prozess Al loses his Body and is just a Soul fixed in an Armour and Elric loses one Arm and a Leg.
Now they both strike to get back their original Forms using the Philosopher´s Stone.

Thought the story has a pretty sad basic mood , you just have to love it for the happy moments- I also like the Concept of Equivalent Exchange everything else seems just kinda childish ....... (just producing weapons, magic, etcetera out of the ar -Honestly?)
I just like the Elric Brothers , Roy mustang with his little moments , and Pride....
PMEmail Poster
Ubiquitial
Posted: Jun 26 2011, 10:53 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 74144

If I were to write a full description of why I love these shows so much, I might as well start a blog or something. So, instead, I'll sum up my favorite anime, in exactly six words.

Off the top of my head:

Adolescence of Utena:

Show is overrated, Movie is not.

Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei:

Kemonozume director, given an interesting story.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou:

Feels like Aria; beautiful watercolor backgrounds.

Giant Robo:

Veritable tribute to Mitsuteru Yokoyama's career.

EoE:

Anno-ism taken to the n-th Degree.

Bakemonogatari:

Crass, yet delicate; stark, yet intimate.

5cm/s: (Popular choice much?)

Lovely lighting and writing, no robots?

Sennen Joyu:

Satoshi Kon's trippy visuals don't overwhelm.

Planetes:

Hard Sci-fi with tinge of melodrama.

Ef 2nd Season:

Superficially ugly, it's an acquired taste.

... And that's all I can think of right now.

This post has been edited by Ubiquitial on Jun 26 2011, 10:55 PM
PMEmail Poster
Ubiquitial
Posted: Jun 28 2011, 03:54 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 74144

Actually, scratch 5cm/s. VoaD was better. So it becomes "lovely writing and lighting, yes robots."
PMEmail Poster
YukiDaShinigami
Posted: Aug 2 2011, 11:14 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 72047

My favorite animes and why:

Death Note- it's honestly the only anime I have had a long term affection for. I've watched it too many times, and still love it enought to have bought a questionable copy of Relight. The supernatural thriller made me think- and actually made me question my own hypocritical beliefs.

Sailor Moon- Pure, unaduterated nostalgia. Enough said.

All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku (The OAVs)- One of my first animes along with Tenshi Muyo, but I liked this one more because Nuku Nuku-chan was sweet and memorable.
PMEmail Poster
Tomoe Souichi
Posted: Jan 16 2012, 07:49 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 68051

I only drop by these forums very occasionally as I prefer to wait for each Megatokyo chapter to be finished before reading it, but as I'm here now, I'll list my favourites smile.gif

1. Mai-HiME. This got me so hooked that, first time round, I finished it in three days. I love the melancholic mood of the main character's emotional tribulations and the way it's so well enhanced by the scenery and colours and use of quiet and emptiness. Although I'm all for a good heart-warming at times, this felt much more real than other magical girl shows, and I was hooked at once and had to find out what happened. The supporting characters are fantastic, the first-half and final endings are truly epic, and the music is amazing -- this was my first introduction to Kajiura Yuki, who will make quite a few appearances on this list.

2. Higurashi no naku koro ni. Brilliant multi-layered murder mystery with a truly surprising denouement. I'm so squeamish that I never thought I'd watch, let alone enjoy, a horror series all the way to its conclusion, and indeed episode 17 (that scene...) nearly broke my will to persevere, but my friend persuaded me it was worth going on, and she was right. It really picks up towards the end of the first series -- great characters, emotionally powerful scenarios, and, in its own more subdued way, an epic climax. The side stories (Rei and Kira) are also great fun, except for the first Kira which is utterly abominable.

3. Sailor Moon. Well, my forum name is an SM character, so no surprises there. This was my first anime and I probably do overrate it a little because of that, but the main characters are all very likable and realistic, their developments and relationships are well portrayed, and there are some great villains. The storylines of the first and third seasons are especially engaging; I hated the fifth.

4. Haruhi Suzumiya. Charming comedy that changes genre with every episode, so it's a little hard to write about. The characters are great, the premise is unique, and most of the individual stories are good fun; it has a little bit of everything and a lot of heart-warming. I enjoyed "Endless Eight", because I think this is about the only series that could make something like that work -- the way all the different elements are put together, including things you don't normally think about like subtle changes of colour or camera angle, is so well done that watching that on its own with no plot development, so that you actually notice these things, was quite entertaining.

5. Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Another magical girl series; I like this genre smile.gif This one is quite out of the ordinary though. The storyline is deep and thought-provoking and contains some excellent twists, the characters are awesome, and it's one of the most emotionally gripping series I've watched. And the artwork and music are simply stunning.

6. Fate/stay night & Fate/zero. The latter is -- along with Mirai Nikki, which I'm enjoying but wouldn't rank as a favourite -- my first ever experience of watching a new anime as it's coming out, so I am enjoying it a little more just because of that, but both are great series anyway. I love the concept and the way the Servants' identities were gradually revealed; and the fight scenes are surely the best in any anime I've seen. Shirou was irritating at first but he does improve in the second half; and Rin is one of my favourite ever characters. F/Z in particular has absolutely awesome animation and music, and the new characters are great as well.

7. Azumanga Daioh. It's a while now since I watched this, but it's a hilarious and heart-warming comedy with -- well, this is what all my favourites have in common because it's the main thing I look for in a series -- excellent and likable characters.

Honourable mention: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. A friend got me to watch this with her, and I'm delaying watching series 2 until we can see it together. I like it, but I can't rank it as a favourite when I've only seen the first series. The ending theme is one of my favourite songs.
PMEmail Poster
theshadowboss
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 07:44 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 75675

Dragon Ball I can't believe only one other person mentioned it. SHAME! Akira Toryama is one of the greatest artists ever, and he inspired a lot of authors, even if the story is a little bit shallow.
Full Metal Panic! Just because.
PMEmail Poster
omoikane
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 09:21 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

QUOTE (theshadowboss @ Jan 19 2012, 08:44 PM)
Full Metal Panic! Just because.

This is not allowed in this thread. Please read the rules.
BananaBuddy
Posted: Sep 2 2012, 06:48 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 76752

QUOTE (hime-kubiwa-kamome @ Jul 16 2010, 06:52 PM)
1. Cowboy Bebop – No surprise and all too familiar, but I’d be lying if I left it off the list because it’s “too popular”. Such pungent low-life characters living their low-lives with a sheen of cool which makes the poverty of being a bounty hunter seem almost fun. What a soundtrack, what an interesting take on the future of the solar system without hitting the viewer over the head about how it got that way, and somehow it manages to be both episodic and have a clearly discernable story arc. You like martial arts? It’s there. You like gun play? It’s there. Chase scences? Check. Gorgeous femme fatales? Yep. Scary cool bad guys? Oh yes. Dark film noir? Yes indeed. And so much more.

You make it so hard for me to say anything about this series, you've said so much.

I'll still give it a go.

Cowboy Bebop is something else. People call it a great "anime", but I think, at this point, it transcends those bounds. Cowboy Bebop is just great.

The show is an emotionally ruthless tragedy. Every single character in the series has a tragic life. It's wonderful how they came to be in each others company.

The music makes it that much better. What song would better fit the intro than a hard bop? And what song would better fit the outro than steady fusion? What genre would better fit a group of sad individuals than jazz?

People say that Cowboy Bebop is a bit overrated, but I don't think that should be a factor in whether or not it was great. In my opinion, the series was great BEFORE it was popular.

As far as "favorite of all times" goes, I think this one's got to be mine.
PMEmail Poster
rajin90
Posted: Jan 12 2013, 03:44 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 77076

well my favourite still is SHIN-CHAN and CAPETA and ofcourse

FULL METAL ALCHEMIST: BROTHERHOOD
PMEmail Poster
omoikane
Posted: Nov 18 2014, 01:02 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

Five year update #2!

executive summary:
+ Ping Pong, Shirobako, Wind Rises
- GunParade March

Martian Successor Nadesico - This anime STILL remains one of my favorites of all times, for a lot of reasons. I have narrowed it down some; some reasons are more awesome than others. I think one way to sum it up is that the show's narrative logic and attitude take place in a rare space. Shows like this come around only once every few years, even in the post-late-night TV anime era. This one happened before that.

Magic Knight Rayearth - My first love, and it's as good as any show that introduces you to the wonderful wickedness that is CLAMP. Pretty, great designs, good music, good songs, good voice acting, emotive, dramatic, all that. It's a little "shoujo-y" but the first season rocks regardless. Lots of angst expressed right.

Millennium Actress - See this post.

FLCL - Style. Mad pimp style. Everything. Heart of Trigger.

His and Her Circumstances - Only if all shoujo anime can be as good as this one. The incessant self-introspection aside, it's great for laughs and great for those tender moments.

Scrapped Princess - Better than Chaika.

Rahxephon - One of the better-written/scripted giant post-Evangelion robot shows; exemplary specimen of this genre.

Evangelion - The movies reminds me how good this 1995-96 show was.

Rurouni Kenshin (OAVs, Kyoto Arc) - It's really the only shounen fight anime that I truly liked, and probably the last. And the 4-episode OAV (or 1, director's cut) of the Tomoe tragedy...SO GOOD. It's possibly the best samurai anime "film" ever made.

Manabi Straight - My favorite religious allegory. If you like the moe cancer like Winter, this is the first sign of Spring. It's also heartful, brilliant, and positive to the brim.

Simoun - What wins with Simoun is its intricate writing to display the really odd human relationships wrapped around a very creative sci-fi/fantasy backdrop. It doesn't help if the ensemble cast is also awesome and full of good girls.

Ping Pong - Masaaki Yuasa deserves a nod, and rather than throw people into the magical abyss like Kaiba, which envelops you like a wet vagina, Ping Pong has the modern sensibilities of popular entertainment and cultural shame of showing something presentable to your hippest friends. Especially if your friends are East Asians. But still try Kaiba if you like exploding wet vaginas.

Notable mentions:
Yamamoto Yoko TV - Greatest scifi girls-in-space anime ever.
Witch Hunter Robin - Does goth style right -- alternatively could check out...
Utena - TV and Movie...wonderful surrealness
Wisper of the Heart - My favorite Ghibli movie ever
Porco Rosso and Princess Mononoke and The Wind Rises- My three second favorite Ghibli movies
Bubble Gum Crisis - Timeless cyberpunk goodness.
Ghost in the Shell TV - The unlearned man's version of Shirow's Ghost in the Shell. With twice of the cuteness and half the nudity! Also give GITS Arise a check.
PLANETES - No man's an Island, and no man should go without seeing PLANETES because it's awesome drama. Notwithstanding the sci-fi element and the goofy things about it.
Dokkoida?! - Possibly the best sentai-style anime ever. It's a giant self-referencing troupe, but it's the best there is out there. The sisucon episode is perhaps the funniest and yet the most riveting episode of LOL ever.
Koikaze - While the anime tackles a subject matter that's all too taboo (incest), this anime is directed and put together with superb craftsmanship that it even does the subject matter with some justice, at least superficially.
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - just for the fact how it raised the bar for TV animation alone is worth it. It's a boon that it's also one of the best adaptation of juvenile science fiction for anime that I've ever seen. Especially with the Kyon episode order.
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu - Possibly the widest-appealing slapstick anime ever.
Cowboy Bebop - You already know this.
Earth Maiden Arjuna - It's a little too new-agey for my taste, but it is a solid production with a daring message.
Shirobako - Otaku no Video #2
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (15) All « First ... 13 14 [15]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll