l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (5) [All] 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Free Games And Stuff [feb 15, 07 Updated], MMORPGs, MUDs, etc your suggestions
Char
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 01:55 PM
Quote Post

♪So I got married♪
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 803

Last Update: Feb 15th, 07. Thanks guys / gals

I'm sick of this topic popping up every week or so, so Ima making a thread here

please post your suggestions and give some thought to each game if possible~ maybe an intro or so, so I can edit it into this main post. kthx

I will ban you if you use this to pimp or plug your recruitment site. <3

I guess it's not just restricted to "MMORPGs", but any online game with some sort of community, I guess. MUDs are allowed

but as usual, those stupid recruitment websites are prohibited

Thanks everyone for the links and info. Ctrl-F each game for information.

Simplifed Master list
PMEmail PosterIntegrity Messenger IMICQAOLYahooMSN
Gamefreq
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 03:21 PM
Quote Post

Aged Lurker

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 22060

Just to get the basics out of the way:

Priston Tale: Requires a download, but is pretty nice for a free MMORPG. The battle system works well, teaming up with people isn't a drag, and stealing kills isn't possible, since if you're not working on a team, the first one to attack an enemy *claims* the enemy, which stops that pesky little problem some games have with stealing kills. The classes are good, but it lacks a good storyline, but then again most free MMOs don't have stories. Highly reccomend this game if you are too cheap to pay for the really good MMORPGs.

Dofus: It has a good class system, and the battle system's different than most. Problems are though, that without a friend, this game can grow very boring, and the battles in this are turn based. They do updates for this game every once in a while, from new maps to new classes. Dispite how each person of their class looks the same, you can completely color your armor (and for some, your skin) any color you want.

Runescape: Does this even need a discription? Dispite my not liking it, many others seem to enjoy it. It allows you to do many boring repetitive tasks to gain levels in skills such as *gasp* making fires! Cooking! Cutting down trees! Then there's the fighting, and the *wonderful* people online who make the game a living hell with their begging for money and the like.

MapleStory: 2D in it's purest form. The people in this game are like that out of an AOL chat room, and to top it off they all clump into the gates of each town all talking at once, causing lag even in a 2D game... The battle system's flawed, and the amount of experience required to level up, along with how strong they made the enemies (too strong if you ask me), plus losing experience when you lose, makes the game a very non-rewarding experience. Still, others seem to like it.

Well this about covers the ones I can remember. They aren't that great (other than Priston Tale), but hey, they're free.

Edit: Well, since MUDs are allowed...

AvPMUD: Basically Alien versus Predator versus Marine. It's been around for a while, and is completely text based. A good time passer if you're at a computer that can't really run any real games. They make changes from time to time, so expect the website to be down every once in a while.

This post has been edited by Gamefreq on Mar 26 2006, 09:42 PM
PMEmail Poster
Jeffu
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 03:37 PM
Quote Post

stop poking me :(
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33958

Knight Online - I recommend this game. Graphics are pretty decent, and you gain experience according to the amount of damage you too. I don't recall having kills stolen from me in the time I played. Being in a party isn't that bad, I gained quite a lot of levels being with some high levels while they fought strong monsters. PvP is in a special arena type thing which you can get to through the main town. All in all it's a good game. Quests are quite boring, kill this to get x amount of items and such. To get better weapons you either get them from monsters or upgrade them with a slight risk of failure.

Silkroad Online - The only good thing about this game I find was the PvP. You can be a theif, merchant or a hunter. Theif can kill hunters and kill merchants for the goods which can be sold at the theif den. Merchants (the most boring class, IMO) transport goods from town to town to gain profit. Hunters hunt for theives and assist the merchants. I was a theif, quite fun. Nothing like pouncing on a merchant train with your guild and then riding away on your camel with stolen goods (that rarely happened though...) You gain experience based on how much damage you have dealt, so kill stealing isn't a big issue. You can level up certain skills according to your style in combat. Fire, the strongest 'burns' the target and deals damage repeatedly over a short period of time. Electricity can stun an opponent. Ice can slow down your opponent, and if lucky freeze them.

Fly FF (Fly for fun) - Nothing extremely special about this game, aside from the fact that you can (after level 20 I believe) get a hoverboard or something to fly around. Characters are pretty cute, but training is extremely boring. The npcs are a bit confusing with the horrible english translations the game has. Worth a try, although I didn't like it that much.
PMEmail Poster
unimportantguy
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 06:27 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 2491

Medievia: Yeah. It's a MUD. Yeah, there have been infamous legal issues around the code. But it sucks you in. I've been playing Medievia for like... 5 years or something like that. Mostly because I am slow-slow-slow at levelling. Things like the AutoQuests, where a random NPC will drop a scroll, or just ask you to complete a quest, give plenty of things for people to do at all levels. Not to mention the trading system, ships, Dragon Lairs, HeroBattles, and the fact that the PK areas of this game will genuinely have you feeling nervous as hell. Years of careful work have gone into Medievia, and it shows. If you want to look me up on there, I'm Zarenious, and I'm usually on at least once or twice every week. Though, I haven't been on these past couple weeks... cooling my heels after someone PK'd me and took my favorite equipment...
PMEmail Poster
Keita-chan
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 06:53 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 13438

O2Jam NX (Malaysian Version) - An online 7-key music game similar to the Beatmania series. Very wide range of difficulties, so enjoyable for anyone who likes music games.

(Though the game and most songs are free, there are some things that can be purchased with e-Points (some songs, items for your in-game avatar) which typically cost about $3 for 100 if you buy in "bulk." You can sign up for an e-Games account (which is also needed to play O2Jam) at http://www.e-games.com.my and e-Points are best purchased from http://www.hitzgames.com ; last I was aware, HitzGames was the only e-Point reseller to accept PayPal.

VegaStrike is an open-source space combat sim.

Privateer Remake is a remake of the DOS game Wing Commander: Privateer, using the VegaStrike engine.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
TheStupidOne
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 09:06 PM
Quote Post

♫ <3 Satori~ ♪
Group Icon

Member No.: 32218

Of course I'm gonna pimp teh loligolfs.

Albatross18 - Realms of Pangya is the official English version of Pangya, probably one of the most popular online games in Asia. It's basically like an online version of Hot Shots Golf; more of an arcadey game than a true golf sim. It's free to play but you can choose to purchase "cookies" and buy equipment and items for your character.

Unlike some other free games, you don't need to buy anything to fully experience the game, or to play certain courses. The pay stuff consist mostly of equipment and items which are somewhat better than their in-game currency counterparts, but in no way is it necessary to buy anything to be a decent player.

The graphics and art are pretty, the characters are cute, and it's a blast to play.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQAOLYahooMSN
Skulkraken
Posted: Mar 28 2006, 03:07 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 45348

Subspace/Continuum >> 2-D shooter with many modes of play, scattered across many 'zones', spread among a large number of servers. I haven't played in a while, but I believe that the Trench Wars zone is still the most popular, with its one-shot kills and all.

Utopia >> Text-based strategy game where players are divided up into groups, called kingdoms. Each kingdom can have a monarch selected from among its members, which allows them to wage war as a group against other kingdoms. Players can attack freely with or without a war, though they typically aren't as effective without the rest of the kingdom backing them. The game stresses communication between team members, at least on a daily basis.

Archmage >> Another text-based strategy game, with somewhat of a Magic the Gathering-esque atmosphere. Players choose colors, which decides what their primary troops and spells are. Again, they battle each other, though in my experience this doesn't happen as often as in other games of its type.

Archspace >> This game is somewhat similar to Archmage, but with aliens instead of magical creatures. I personally didn't enjoy this game as much, since the player community in it is...intensively competitive, for lack of a better term.

War of Conquest >> An online strategy game that uses a Java-based client. Players are given control of countries, with the option of banding together to form republics. These groups and individual players compete for control of stones scattered across the game field, which earns credits. The game is free, with little to no advertising, though players have the option of purchasing extra technologies and special abilities for an extra edge; with either credits earned in-game or by spending money through Paypal. Players who earn enough credits in the game can trade them in for cash, though the exchange rate is typically quite low due to low spending by players.
PMEmail Poster
TheStupidOne
Posted: Apr 6 2006, 11:40 PM
Quote Post

♫ <3 Satori~ ♪
Group Icon

Member No.: 32218

Ooooh... forgot one that a lot of MT'ers are playing.

Travian is a war-sim browser game set in medival times. The game consists of 3 different tribes, the gauls, the romans, and the teutons. Each have their own unique strengths and weaknesses. Kinda like Age of Empires, there are 4 resources: clay, wood, iron, and crop. You increase your production rate by improving the fields; higher level fields net more resources/hr. Same applies to buildings; you construct them then level them up to gain certain attributes and expand your tech tree.

The troops consist of various infantry and calvary units, each specialized in different fields, such as speed, attack, or defense. Siege weapons such as battering rams and catapults are also present. Rams are used to take down and destroy enemy walls, allowing your troops easier access to opposing villages, and catapults are designed to rain death upon enemy villages and destroy their buildings or resource fields.

By far the most expensive and powerful unit is the administrator. Known as senators for the romans, chiefs for the teutons, and chieftains for the gauls, these units are very expensive to research and train, but have the ability to capture enemy villages. In essence you can assault someone's town, and use administrators to capture the village and turn its citizens against their former leader.

What sets this game apart from other RTS games is the scale and timespan of the game. Troop movements and buildtimes are very long, sometimes reaching into the span of hours and even days. This isn't a game you can just sign up and mass an army instantly; it takes patience and strategy to amass a force and perform military maneuvers. It is very much a team-based game, because alone, you can easily get wiped out.

The Travian entry on the MTWiki has a list of current MT players and their locations in the world. Most play on server 2, but some have accounts on server 4. Unfortunately server 2 registration is closed, so you're out of luck joining in there.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQAOLYahooMSN
SpyderGreywolf
Posted: Apr 7 2006, 09:04 AM
Quote Post

The greatest thing since sliced golf balls.

Member No.: 34661

Gotta give mah props to my boys at Iron Realms Entertainment, a Bay-area company specializing in MUDs. Here's the detail breakdown on all their games. All their games have intense PvP, strictly enforced roleplay, city-based politics, warfare and intrigue, and unique themes. Now, these ARE MUDs, which means text-based. Not to discourage anyone, but if that, or a moderately steep learning curve throws you off, these games might not be for you. Once you get into them, however, they are intensely fun and addicting, and of course PHREE to play, though you may buy in-game credits to spend on lessons or artifact equipment (or to sell to other players for in-game gold) if you wish. Having such a purchase is not required to play or even to enjoy the game, however (even though there's quite a few overpowered artifact whores waltzing around out there).

First up, my personal favorite and the first IRE game I played, Aetolia, the Midnight Age, the 'dark fantasy' game of the set. There's been a lot of changes to the game recently, including the shift in major conflict from the old and tired 'good vs. evil' to the new and shiny 'life vs. undeath', changes in city alignments, and the major reason I've been absent from these forums recently, the new were-creature guilds, the Atabahi (werewolves) and Bahkatu (were-bears). GO WOLVES! There have also been major updates to the premier undead class, vampires, in recent days, and the administration has really been busting their butts to make Aetolia stand out recently. Shaping up to probably become the best of the lot.

Then there's Imperian, the Sundered Heavens. I played this one for a while too, the magick/anti-magick conflict is quite interesting and definitely off the norm, the world and some of the unique classes are quite cool.

I suppose I ought to mention Achaea, Dreams of Divine Lands here as well... well... if it's your thing, it's the oldest and most popular of the IRE games. I found it to be rather chaotic, with a higher than normal learning curve. It does have a ton of cool class/alliance combinations, however, due to its autoclass system. I will note that despite the fact that I've heard some unpleasant things about the playerbase I did find them to be quite friendly and helpful, even if I did have a mild unpleasantness with an Administrator over my choice of name.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
BrokenWings
Posted: Apr 7 2006, 10:44 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 30841

Correct me if im wrong but isnt Priston Tale pay2play after a certain level?
PMEmail PosterAOL
Maliciel
Posted: Apr 9 2006, 08:47 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 35044

After level 40, to be exact. Some incarnations of it are f2p, such as thai PT (its legal for foreigners to play~), but the interface is well..thai. People are saying it may be free soon though. ohmy.gif
PMEmail PosterAOL
Wonder Chicken
Posted: Apr 9 2006, 08:30 PM
Quote Post

~Makoto's Way~

Member No.: 33190

Let me throw is some good ol' Space combat sims for the mix:

Privateer Gemini Gold: An offshoot of the Privateer Remake that throws out fan content in favor of creating an experience closer to the original with improved graphics and effects, this is especially for those of us Privateer fans who found the fan content in Remake very annoying.

Wing Commander Standoff: A Wing Commander Secret Ops mod that takes place during the events of the Fleet Action novel written by William R. Forstchen. Battle the Kilrathi as the Confederation prepares to defend Earth against an almost unstoppable force.

I'll also warn potential pilots that Standoff is meant to be hard - that being said, enjoy!
PM
shinaobi
  Posted: May 1 2006, 06:59 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 50390

Adventure Quest-ADDICTIVE, MAN!!!! Probably the only downside is that in order to get in after the first five logins, you will either
A. stay up VERY late at night sleep.gif
B. become a guardian/X-Guardian(recommended) biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
C. use a hack(LOSER) tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
PMEmail Poster
ZirePhoenix
Posted: May 2 2006, 08:05 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 33202

Rockstar Games made GTA 1 & 2 and Wild Metal Country free.

Also, due to some domain name issues, I guess it would take some effort to find The Underdogs. The place is excellent for abandonware stuff.
PMEmail Poster
~factory
Posted: May 8 2006, 08:36 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 50019

Freeloader (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3137239) is an excellent site for free games (no, it's not what it sounds like. it's all freeware and shareware). I highly recommend Doukutsu Monogatari.
PM
vash324
Posted: May 11 2006, 05:57 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 40331

http://www.gth.com.my/
Gate to Heavens, basically it's your average Asian-made mmorpg that's pretty good for being free and all.
PMEmail Poster
Echo
Posted: May 11 2006, 06:04 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 357

I'm a little surprised that nobody's mentioned Anarchy Online. They have an offer right now where players can play their basic version (no addon packs) for free until January 15, 2007.

It ain't pretty, but it's not a bad game.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Haru-kun
Posted: May 11 2006, 07:38 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 50706

Hehe, I got one you guys haven't mentioned yet:
Gunz Online

It's a really neat game that combines melee, shooting, and RPG action into a chaotic piece of gamer's heaven! It's basically a tournament style shooting game... kind of like Unreal Tournament. However, the element of melee combat has been added. There are pistols, SMGs, shotguns, rifles, rocket launchers, katanas, dual kodachis, explosives, and all sorts of other goodies! You also get the whole action-dodge thing where you can tumble and shoot, and there is actually a levelling system, though it's mainly used so that you can wear better equipment. All in all, it's a great game!
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
communismontoast
Posted: May 14 2006, 08:13 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 38006

Kingdom of Loathing
An Adventurer is you! I liked this one. It is a turn based mmorpg through your browser. Its a little annoying because you only have 80 turns per day. It kept me up many a night waiting for the rollover time. It's definately more fun if you are in the community. Listen to the KOL radio and go on the irc. That's were its at.
meika51886
Posted: May 20 2006, 11:28 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 50937

City Of Ages note: this is the home page there is a link marked "connect" on there to play. its a MUD game, the only one I play, I just haven't put forth the effort to try other ones. its really good but if too many people are on finding things to kill is harder.
There are a lot of levels, and lots of items, (I think its an item based game but not sure) you can quest, gamble, join a clan, achieve clan rank, capture the flag, battle other players, & there is no corpsing. but you do drop your money after you achieve a certain level or die to many times I don't know the particulars. The people are helpful and friendly. Really friendly to nubes like me.
its a good game.

This post has been edited by meika51886 on May 20 2006, 11:30 AM
ConvoyAsh
  Posted: May 28 2006, 11:35 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 51155

wow.... some of those i have seen and or tried. but right now i am playing Maplestory, have and will play agian world of warvcraft. I will also be getting back into ragnarock on the private servers and not the bot laddened IRO servers. unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster
Sekoku
Posted: May 29 2006, 09:31 AM
Quote Post

Olf is a sad, sad, little man.

Member No.: 20528

Download:

Freeciv is a free version of Civilization 1 and 2. It has those rule-sets and a custom "Freeciv" ruleset. Highly customizable (to an extent) and is multiplayer and free.
FreeDoom currently is working on a free version of the Doom (1 and 2) WADs. But, can be used to run the iD (commerical) WADs on modern operating systems.

Not download:

Outbreak is an alright game. It's a vast opposite of Urban Dead (I'll get to that in a minute), as there is no limit on moves. The game is in beta right now, and a few changes turned me off of it. If you can get around it being updated when you're sleeping, it's a good game.

Urban Dead is a zombie-based game. It is like Outbreak, but limits your turns per day (50 "Action Points"). The game was immensely popular back when it came out in 2005, but the players have slowly left it to where there are a good-sized base of people still playing. You could get into a group (but sadly, there isn't a MTF group) and organize attacks on zombies/humans. Metagaming here is really good. Also, all the players are human played, compared to outbreak's focus on having server-side AI attack you. Overall, I've been sticking with this one for a while.
PMEmail Poster
darkcloud
Posted: Jun 2 2006, 06:56 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 51308

Discworld A good MUD if you enjoy reading the books by Terry Pratchett, a lot of helpful folk and a good timewaster for me.
TracerBullet
Posted: Jun 7 2006, 10:07 PM
Quote Post

Here (in spirit).

Member No.: 2641

I've recently started killing some free time by playing Cardmaster Conflict. It's kind of a light, Java-based version of Magic: The Gathering. It also includes cards featuring characters from webcomics by Mark Shallow, Ian J, and a few others.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Skulkraken
Posted: Jun 29 2006, 11:52 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

I've got a couple of games to suggest, though they're not really MMOs.

Battle for Wesnoth: This is an open-source, 2D strategy game. It's designed for play through various single-player campaigns, but it's possible to pit your armies against other players' in multiplayer scenarios. Pretty much everything in the game can be modified, from the units and art to the scenarios and campaigns.

GalaxyMage: Another open-source strategy game, this time with 3D maps combined with 2D characters. At version 0.3, it's much less polished at this point than Battle for Wesnoth, which has already hit its 1.0 release some time ago, but it still shows a lot of potential. The latest release includes multiplayer support.
PMEmail Poster
omoikane
Posted: Jul 3 2006, 12:23 PM
Quote Post

♪mojimoji shite kimoi ne♪
Group Icon

Member No.: 14

The UrQuan Masters is a free, up-to-date port/version of Star Control II. It's probably the best game in this thread save FreeCiv and FreeDoom 1/2 tongue.gif But aside from that, it combines the both from 3DO and the PC version of StarCon2 with interchangable music modules and the like. Rest of the game, save from tiny amounts of bugs, play just like the original.

Hero Online has a free open beta month until end of July.
BlackLiger
Posted: Jul 3 2006, 02:42 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 45432

Spring is technically an engine, not a game, but there are numerous mods avalible for it, such as WORLD DOMINATION (Soviet Union Vs NATO in a realistic conflict) and TA:FF (Space battles, if they ever code the engine correctly. For now, space maps kinda look funky)

The interphase isn't newbie freindly, but as its still in Beta and under the Open License system, what do you expect?
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
FEpower
Posted: Jul 5 2006, 10:39 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 1922

Second Life

Dunno if you want to count this one as a game or not. No levels to go up, I guess it's more like a Sims Online but with several thousand people at a time in it. You can build stuff, interact with people in just about any way you want, and you can get a "job" in the game if you want to earn money while on a free account.

They have the grids (servers) broken in to two basic sections, Teen Second Life for people 13-17, and Second Life for everyone that is 18+ (lots of mature content on the regular grid)
PMEmail Poster
Ragter
Posted: Jul 6 2006, 05:24 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 50496

Is there a mud database one can go to and look for MUDs? Maybe a web-ring or something of that sort. I'm sure there are MUDs of peoples favorite movies or books.
PMEmail Poster
Skulkraken
Posted: Jul 9 2006, 12:12 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

The Mud Connector - A searchable database of 1772 MUDs, complete with articles and discussions about all things MUD. Enjoy.
PMEmail Poster
gamerREHAB
Posted: Jul 9 2006, 09:59 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

yo u guys, i have a really adictive game, it is unlike any of em sci-fi games u play
and it is free, it is an MMORPG and is still in its beta testing but is really good. its a web browser based game that is soo ez to learn and play, i started last sept. and have been playing since. I'd say it would take u 2 days to totaly understand the game. so here is the web site=

http://battles.interstellar-war.com

to give u a taste of wat u can do here, here's a list of some of the features=

-free to play indefinetly

-no need fer any thing like a flash player or good connection, u just need internet and yer in

-many factions and races to choose from like terrans (too much noob ness fer me), or CPU (thats me biggrin.gif), and Nexus, and many more

-u can also b a pirate and jack ships

-a really good community= 600 pplz and growing

-jack and build ships like the cruiser or destroyer, even teh l33t and fast fighters

-earn money by killing pplz fer bounty or mine fer minerals that go up from rank 1-5

-make freinds

-wage war or peace with other factions through a VERY EZ goverment, not em hard to learn stuff (an 12 yr old can do it easily)

-have stats like gunnery, piloting (explore new and different systems), building (building planetary defence weapones fer yer faction), and security (fer hand to hand combat or gun battles)

-and soo much more that i cant list em all

MEET ME ONLINE ma screen name in the game= AZN_Commander ph34r.gif
Desidarius
Posted: Jul 10 2006, 08:49 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 2819

I'm not big into PvP, but not too long ago I read on mmorpg.com that Shadowbane went free to play. I know it was considered one of the better PvP mmo's out there. I tried it a few times myself, but it seemed like too much hinged on using invisible/see invisible.
PMEmail PosterICQMSN
Orophix
Posted: Jul 11 2006, 03:37 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Sorry for posting in the wrong place last time.

http://www.redemption-online.com a world where you can become a hero with your own personal character and play together with thousands of new friends.

Immerse into the mysterious world, touch the amazing, lively cities, meet new friends and defeat the strongest monsters. You are never alone in the "Game of Smiles" and there is always something new to discover.
ArcticSwan360
Posted: Jul 13 2006, 01:35 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 22003

Lately I've been looking for a free game like Nethack but which isn't so hardcore. I don't like the idea of loosing your save after dying and the extreme importance of food. Castle of the Winds was a good game, but I need something new now.
zero_kanipan
Posted: Jul 15 2006, 01:52 AM
Quote Post

Mr. Procrastinator

Member No.: 10203

Space Cowboy Online MMO Flight Sim. Free to play. Controls are pretty simple although people with joysticks might be disappointed because the game doesnt support them. There is a program on the fan sites that solve the issue tho. Graphics are quite nice even on the lowest settings. Lots of helpful guides on the forums. Some neat features include built-in voice chat and the ability to play your own music in-game ^^

This post has been edited by zero_kanipan on Jul 15 2006, 01:57 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
ConvoyAsh
  Posted: Jul 17 2006, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 51155

Gonna get back into trying new stuff but yeah.... many mmo's that were rushed ( D&D online) are now quickly going to free play. Reminds me of TRY before You BUY.
PMEmail Poster
Mortal Sky
Posted: Jul 18 2006, 07:49 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 52646

Soldat is a game like Counter Strike and contra, plus some amazing ragdoll and many fun game modes. Single player and online are both free, and you can register your copy for a few cosmetic and server hosting bonuses at the low price of 7.99 USD.
PMEmail Poster
Getta313
Posted: Jul 20 2006, 10:52 AM
Quote Post

Ultimate l33t One

Member No.: 9698

This wasn’t really worth creating a thread for, but I couldn’t find a decent place to post it. Since this is free games and “stuff,” I figured a short game related movie/commercial would be OK.

So, here’s a little treat for Makaimura fans (Ghost and Goblins); it’s a promo video for the forthcoming PSP title, Goku Makaimura, showing what Arthur’s been up to for the past couple of years.

Link

Enjoy!

(note: keep in mind, the video is a short comedy piece and not a game trailer)

This post has been edited by Getta313 on Jul 20 2006, 10:54 AM
PMEmail Poster
brownhorse
Posted: Aug 16 2006, 06:55 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 53416

Atorian
www.atorian.com
A space MUD.
You can build your own ships, and can gain bigger ones by researching new techs. You can explore for planets, or you can fight for them.... When you join, you are placed in a group of players, and a person is elected to run the group. There is a forum for each group, as well as a seperate forum to just post. It refreshes every hour for tech researches, and every half hour for battles. i haven't explained it very well.... oh well. what suggest if you play this one is to explore 8 planets, and then research the parts techs. Then you can start designing your own ships. I haven't explained it too well, so if it sounds like you might like it, go to the site and read the stuff there.
me:
Islands of Dukes and Dragons
www.dukesanddragons.com
<from the website main page>
Picture yourself in a world unlike any other before! Where you will explore new lands and gather an allegiance of followers that will fight to the death for you. Build a massive empire full of cathedrals, castles, ships, knights, magic and much more. Choose what race you will, for each has it’s own unique qualities. But beware, and watch your borders because vicious dragons lurk around every corner and warfare is often a way of life. Forge alliances where you may, but even the strongest of alliances can crumble in the race for power. Only the strongest Dukes will endure the tests of strength, endurance, and time. Only one shall rise to be seated at the King’s Table, at the right hand of the all-powerful King himself!
me: if i'm active, i'm Duke Carreson
simcountry.com
You build up your country, and build up it's profits so that you can build up your army, and take over other countries and build an empire. You can control your country, from building corporations, to building a navy or army, and defenses. If you play, build up your economy first, so it can support an army. Once again, if it sounds like the kind of game you might like, visit it's homepage. oh yeah, it's a MUD. and if you play, go to the forums and look for a federation in your world that's recruiting. Also join a Common Market. These things help your nation survive, especially in the wars world.

This post has been edited by brownhorse on Aug 16 2006, 07:00 PM
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
nightshadow
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 09:28 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 52356

I don`t think many people here have heard of this one, but its a free MUD game based on " The Lord of the rings" It was quite fun for the short time I played it, but being a busy person, i stopped.
Also after a while of inactivity your characters will be deleted, you can buy extra time, for a low price( game currency). Also if you are lets say lv 25 you could probably be inactive for like a few months and not get your acc. Deleted.

MUME
( this is the game title, not something random)[SIZE=7]

This post has been edited by nightshadow on Aug 21 2006, 09:28 AM
PMEmail Poster
maybenot
Posted: Aug 26 2006, 10:44 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 43375

Subspace/Continuum offical site has changed

url is http://www.getcontinuum.com now

This post has been edited by maybenot on Aug 26 2006, 10:45 AM
PMEmail Poster
Master Stopa
Posted: Sep 9 2006, 02:43 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 53908

QUOTE (Gamefreq @ Mar 26 2006, 03:21 PM)

Runescape: Does this even need a discription? Dispite my not liking it, many others seem to enjoy it. It allows you to do many boring repetitive tasks to gain levels in skills such as *gasp* making fires! Cooking! Cutting down trees! Then there's the fighting, and the *wonderful* people online who make the game a living hell with their begging for money and the like.

Actually i quite like the game tho it has several minuses. It also has plusses.
First it is Java-based so no download is required. Also its requirements are as low as zero. Basically if you can read this, your PC is good enough to play it.
Then there are weekly updates. It updates EVERY WEEK, bringing new monsters, areas, quests, items etc.
More than 100 quests. Yeah thats my favourite part-the quests. They have cutscenes and stuff and its simply fun doing these. I find that quests in RS quests better than in other MMORPG.
Community is actually pretty good. Of course if you like to hang out in Lumbridge(the starting city and the city you appear in if you die) then you would like to turn your public chat off...Especially in free servers.
Each account gives you right to create only one character and only in human race, but hey you can use this character on all of the 120+ servers.
120+ servers >=]. Each can hold up to 2000 people but if you play in the morning most are empty anyways.
Minigames. Bored of killing things to level up? Go and play some! Some are really fun and have great rewards. There are also combat-based ones.
Non-combat skills. Also a good part of the game in my opinion. Im sick of all MMORPGS being based on killing and theres really not much to do. In RuneScape you will find more than 20 skills like farming, construction, fishing, cooking, HP etc.
You can train pures since the combat level(for usual MMORPGS 'the lvl') is based on many skills like magic, attack, strenght, defence, ranged, hitpoints, prayer which are all separate from each other.
Now to the minuses.
Its Java--based so dont await superior graphix. JaGEx is updating old ghraphix quite alot but they still dont look very realistic or something.
Word blocker.
The new game engine release in beginning of this year made it better but still the blocker system may block normal words for no good reason. This is especially annoying if you speak russian, believe me ninjanatsD.gif .
Noobs.
Yes, noobs. No worries tho there arent really many more than in other MMORPGS. If you really want to get rid of them become a member(p2p version of the game approx. $5-7 a month) and dont hang out in noobish areas.
If you want to know more you can aswell go to Wikipedia.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Sircarp
Posted: Oct 2 2006, 08:49 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 49545

Trickster Online

Pretty fun game, great if you want to take a break from more serious mmos and play an easy to level game. It's still in beta though so you can expect some hackers, lag, poor translations and some features haven't been implemented yet.
PMEmail Poster
Malagate
Posted: Oct 3 2006, 12:53 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 21677

Last night I found a verrrrry interesting free game, which I'm sure hasn't been mentioned yet.
Penumbra by Frictional Games, a game where
the player finds himself in an underground base on Greenland, searching for his lost father. It's an adventure horror game, free from classic first person shooter elements, with an emphasise on puzzle solving and exploring. Constantly on your toes you will never know what to expect, with no weapons how do you protect yourself?

If you thought Doom 3 was dark, you've yet to experience the real Darkness (capital D Dark) of a remote underground base in Greenland, and you don't even have a gun to fend off any enemies you encounter. Environment interaction is also brilliant, nothing is really automatic as you have to pull levers, open doors and draws, pull down obstacles all by mouse and wasd movement.

In short, for a free game, it's totally sweet laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster
cheuk4
Posted: Oct 5 2006, 07:10 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 47543

I'm surprised that there isn't any AardwoldMUD players on here.

It's a fantasy-type MUD that has gone through many changes from it's original Diku-MUD Migard base city kinda MUD. Very player-friendly for all level of MUD experience, and the people there are very friendly. A well thought out newbie system to make sure nobody is in way over their heads.

It big with 200+ players online minimum from what i've seen lately. They have the usual Clans and Quests and Remorts/Tiers.

The MUD is too damn big to explain, just log in and try it out.

btw. Look for Nausicaa if you go on, that'll be me, though i'm only a casual player now...
Rust Elemental
Posted: Oct 12 2006, 07:21 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 52969

okay ive got one seggestion its called Savage Lands its a text game where every thing is well text. its free diffrent and some what confusing at first, but there are great ppl that will help you out if your confused
PMEmail PosterMSN
O'Shuva
Posted: Oct 13 2006, 05:41 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 40730

The Marathon Trilogy. (I needed this too, though).

It's Doom with a plot. About Rampant AIs. And Aliens.

Do not believe their intervening attempts at misinformation: THIS is the way the world ends.

This post has been edited by O'Shuva on Oct 13 2006, 05:55 AM
PM
Kijuro
Posted: Oct 26 2006, 01:20 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 54826

The World--I'm amazed that this particular online game hasn't been mentioned yet.

Everyone here knows about the .hack universe, right? Well, there's a website where you can download a copy of "The World" as mentioned from the anime. It works much the same as you see it in .hack, with new players being added into the world every other day.

This game is known as "The World"(title needs work), and on the desktop it shows up with the same title and some freaky icon. You need to download some files to actually be able to play, which I'm certain makes the game more enjoyable. Alot of the players are okay, and sometimes will help out new players.
PMEmail Poster
Deek the Pirate
Posted: Nov 15 2006, 10:02 AM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 41945

Tibia is a fun, addicting MMORPG. Its free to play, but you can get extra advantages if you pay (Houses, More Areas, Promotions)
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IMAOLYahooMSN
vues3d
Posted: Nov 21 2006, 03:34 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 55885

I have on my site 2 little games that you can download & play for free.

It's TI & 5Colors
They can be downloaded here:

Download them

biggrin.gif
scotty7
Posted: Dec 1 2006, 03:29 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 52304

From the Publishers of "Fly for Fun" and "Space Cowboy Online":

Rappelz - An Epic of the Ultimate Creature. A F2P MMORPG (with a $-Shop too) but easy to play without pay. Featuring 3 Races with each 3 Classes, lots of skills. Pretty good 3D-Graphics, runs also on older machines. Leveling or Skilling is possible as Solo or in a Party. Lots of People playing, lots from Germany too. The Game has a total cool Pet System. You can tame 1 of 8 Types of Monsters to gain a pet. The Pet Levels with you and gets also Skills so it will always fight with you smile.gif

@Mods: Feel free to edit my bad spelling. Sorry

edit: forgot the Pets ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by scotty7 on Dec 1 2006, 03:33 AM
PMEmail Poster
darkone8752
Posted: Dec 26 2006, 11:45 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 56866

sorta suprised noones mentioned Shadowbane(it wasnt on the master list) (btw, this is the main site, theres also a north american one but i don't know anything about it) its a, as of about 3/4 of a year ago, free 3d mmorpg.
its mostly PvP based but theres a heavy lore storyline behind it. its pretty large amount of variety, 12 races (all with certain restrictions and advantages disadvantages such as nephilims and aracoix being able to fly, and vampires using HP to cast spells instead of mana) 22 mostly unique proffessions (some like prelates and priests are a bit alike) more if you count the fact that some proffessions can be chosen from different base "classes" (fighter,mage,healer,rogue) like doomsayers can be either healer based or mage based. 47 disciplines (i may of counted wrong, im counting off site here) like werebear and bladeweaver (they grant powers and sometimes have a huge effect on a characters build, like the difference between a elf archmage wizard, and nephilim wizard) all my love and boasting aside the main cons--
fairly large client and alot of patch time on slower conns (i dont know exact client size, i have the original disc)
hellish learning curve at first.... much easier on the "test server" and the easiest i know is a nephilim wizard, cause wizzyz get sweet pets ^^
during a bane (war on a city) it tends to bog down even high end computers

both a pro and a con is almost unrestricted PvP, the only safe places being "noob island" and NPC citys like aeldreth and sea dogs rest, other then that anyone can atatck anyone anywhere though a small group of maybe 3 or 4 level 30's with at least some competance can take down a 75 (max level) as i was killing level 60-70 people on my level 40 doomsayer (hes now 60 btw) erk.... ive been rambling too long... i need to get my avatar set up... lol.. so i guess try it, my internets been acting up so i can't play (its not fun running into a mine fight with about 20 people on each side, and having your connection drop....) but when i do im on test server
PMEmail Poster
Maverick Pete
Posted: Jan 6 2007, 12:28 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 57047

Knytt
A fun little platformer ^^
btw shadowbane sounds quite fun but all mmorpg's are 3vil so yeah, i wont be playing it T.T
PMEmail Poster
Inconsistent at Mastering
Posted: Jan 8 2007, 07:53 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 46557

ABA Games.

A site that contains lots of small games of the shmup variety, and they're all rather varied. They're all developed by someone who calls himself Kenta Cho (kinda like ZUN, except his style was inspired by Rez). You can even mess around with BulletML, an application that simulates bullet patterns found in existing shmups and allows you can create your own.

He even had an MTV interview too. He's had more coverage than ZUN!
Eggnoggy
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 05:34 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 57240

Does anyone play Ragnarok?

Can they help me?
PMEmail Poster
Aengu
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 10:29 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 55756

Cyber Nations

Create a nation anywhere in the world and decide how you will rule your people by choosing a government type, a national religion, ethnicity, tax rate, currency type, and more in this new geo-political, nation, and government simulator. Wage war, build up your defense forces, build up to nuclear weapons. Be a banker, a trader, let money and technology pass through your hands. It's up to you.
PMEmail Poster
Deek the Pirate
Posted: Jan 25 2007, 12:46 PM
Quote Post

Local

Endless-online

Its an anime based MMORPG. It hasn't been developed all too much, but still is being updated very often. There are many items to get, and craft. Quests were just implemented, so they arent that deep quite yet.
Gamemaster_ca_2003
Posted: Feb 3 2007, 10:54 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 48791

Jet Set Willy Online

Fun Remake of a Popular British Computer Game from the 1980's Now with online Multiplayer.
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Malagate
Posted: Feb 4 2007, 03:17 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Cave Story

Freeware sidescrolling action/adventure/platformer, surprisingly good, with some really hard to get secrets.
PMEmail Poster
Wonder Chicken
Posted: Feb 12 2007, 01:53 AM
Quote Post

~Makoto's Way~

New Space Combat sim. Wing Commander Saga, a Freespace 2 mod, finally came out.

It currently stands at the Prologue to give player a taste for what's to come.

Link: WC Saga Release
PM
liubei
Posted: Feb 14 2007, 03:15 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 52169

QUOTE (Haru-kun @ May 11 2006, 07:38 PM)
Hehe, I got one you guys haven't mentioned yet:
Gunz Online

It's a really neat game that combines melee, shooting, and RPG action into a chaotic piece of gamer's heaven! It's basically a tournament style shooting game... kind of like Unreal Tournament. However, the element of melee combat has been added. There are pistols, SMGs, shotguns, rifles, rocket launchers, katanas, dual kodachis, explosives, and all sorts of other goodies! You also get the whole action-dodge thing where you can tumble and shoot, and there is actually a levelling system, though it's mainly used so that you can wear better equipment. All in all, it's a great game!

I second that happy.gif .

I'm currently lvl. 12 and I play on Match Server 1. What's your name on there?
PMEmail Poster
Char
Posted: Feb 15 2007, 03:04 PM
Quote Post

♪So I got married♪
Group Icon

games up to this post have been added, except for those whose promotional free periods have ended
Manmankyle-Nauchi
Posted: Mar 10 2007, 03:34 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Scions of Fate (Yulgang) http://yulgang.netgame.com/

The cute characters, the beautiful pastel-tone character pics, the diverse range of emoticons, the deadly but beautiful combat skills, all contribute to the Scions of Fate game experience. Even more precious are the communal experiences that players share together as they’re battling monsters, growing together like a family.
The scope of this original work is complex, yet light and entertaining. From the conflict between The Order and Chaos, to the blossoming romance that takes place in the midst of this world, all the elements of the story mesh together to form a very unique and emotional journey for all players.
If you’re ready for a new, richer online gaming experience, let’s log-in to the game.(from their description)

a so called popular game that just went global dling now tongue.gif (on punishment boo parents i need game and pc i otaku)

Rakion http://rakion.softnyx.net/

kind of like Gunz but mortal kombatish or w/e it is decent i like it a little

Shot Online http://www.shot-online.com/

golf mmo it is suprisingly ok. but only if u like to say w00t and like to see a ball fly far and say OWNAGE

This post has been edited by Manmankyle-Nauchi on Mar 10 2007, 03:38 PM
2010digitalboy
Posted: Mar 11 2007, 12:25 AM
Quote Post

DANGEROUS BOY

Member No.: 57037

I have no idea how to get any of these games to work. My brother want some of them, but he has a mac and it's confusing and scary and I have no idea what I'm doing. Someone please guide me.
PMEmail Poster
Jeffu
Posted: Mar 11 2007, 12:30 AM
Quote Post

stop poking me :(
Group Icon

Member No.: 33958

QUOTE (Manmankyle-Nauchi @ Mar 10 2007, 03:34 PM)
Rakion http://rakion.softnyx.net/

kind of like Gunz but mortal kombatish or w/e it is decent i like it a little

... Mortal Combat? That has to be the worst way I've ever heard anyone describe Rakion. There is no resemblance, at all.

Gunz is only similar to Rakion in the sense that you can buy items for your character that give you a slight edge in combat.

Really man, if you can't give a good description, don't.
PMEmail Poster
Yoko-Ryushenshi
Posted: Mar 11 2007, 12:35 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 31387

QUOTE (2007digitalboy @ Mar 11 2007, 12:25 AM)
I have no idea how to get any of these games to work. My brother want some of them, but he has a mac and it's confusing and scary and I have no idea what I'm doing. Someone please guide me.

uh, maybe the games arent mac compatible? there is a big difference between windows and mac. why does he own one if he doesnt know that difference.

the problem i have with rakion is that i can never connect to a fucking server. it always has the latency at like 1k or some shit.
marmolargentinadude
Posted: Mar 11 2007, 01:41 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 57946

I play avendar urban dead and argentum online
pretty simple games, but addictive
Deek the Pirate
Posted: Mar 29 2007, 08:50 AM
Quote Post

Local

Links Please? ^^^
fishyfish777
Posted: Mar 31 2007, 04:57 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

WarRock.

Such an awesome game with a poor currency system. Also get used to using air vehicles because if you don't laugh.gif you're dead.

Soldier Front
Awesome game, kinda like Counter Strike simplified and free. but CS is still better.

Wolfenstein ET
Be sure to stick to a server that r35p3c75 you. Or else...

Thats.. well 3 free FPSs to enjoy!

Also check out Trackmania ESWC
Empo
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 10:03 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Maybe you could add unification wars. smile.gif
Char
Posted: Apr 18 2007, 02:06 PM
Quote Post

♪So I got married♪
Group Icon

some information would be appreciated.
tunginobi
Posted: Apr 18 2007, 11:03 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 14946

La-Mulana is an action/adventure platformer in which you play the whip-wielding Prof. Lemeza Kosugi, an archaelogist trying to one-up his father to discover the secret of the ruins of La-Mulana. It's Castlevania (of old) meets Castlevania (of new) meets Indiana Jones. The game is challenging, you'll need your wits about you as you solve the riddles within the ruins, so read those tablets and the skeletons of fallen adventurers before you. You'll need your reflexes too, because some of the places you need to go are very tricky to get to without fancy fingerwork.

400+ screens, 50+ chip-tune retro music tracks, about a dozen weapons and subweapons, 40+ key items and powerups, 70-80 collectibles... this game is long. There are about 18 different parts to the ruins, and they're all very different.

This game is very much inspired by old-school stylings, so that'll suit you better or worse depending on what you like in games.

A bunch of tips for starters:

1. Read the readme file. If you can be bothered, read the 20-something page HTML manual as well.

2. You need to talk to the village chief to be able to enter the ruins. Press down to enter tents and doors.

3. Those can-looking things are weights. Press down when you're at a pedestal to put a weight on it. This can solve puzzles, but it can also trigger traps.

4. If you whip "sacred" things, you'll be struck by lightning, which hurts. A lot.

5. You'll need the Handy Scanner to read skeletons and tablets. You'll also need the pricey Glyph Reader. And grab the 10xCatridge if you want to save. Look for money in pots in the overworld and within the ruins. Don't bother grinding enemies for coins; they only give you 1 a piece.

6. The function keys are your friends.

7. To save, press F3 to bring up the MSX cartridge screen, equip the 10xCartridge, and talk to the chief.

8. This game will NOT hold your hand or give obvious directions on where to go. If you're an average gamer, don't be afraid to search online for guidance. If you're hardcore, solve the riddles yourself, but be prepared to take notes and even screenshots.
Sekoku
Posted: Apr 20 2007, 10:56 AM
Quote Post

Olf is a sad, sad, little man.

Member No.: 20528

Fire Emblem and Advance Wars by web. Not too sure how well they are (as I don't play these versions), but they should hold your interest for a few hours if you're a hardcore fan? huh.gif
PMEmail Poster
darkone8752
Posted: May 22 2007, 02:51 AM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 56866

BTW char, and anyone else who was confused, shadowbane IS free.

basicly, you sign up for an "account" (just regular username password input email, ect ect, type thing). note that it doesnt ask for a cd key, this was abck when it was P2P.
When done with that, click the subscription options or whatever it is button once, youll notice it puts you with both expansions, and all characters unlocked as though you played three months. (i havn't done this in a while... i have like 3 or 4 accounts lol tongue.gif)
Done, now you have to find out where the fuck they keep the game client, i have my CD from back when i bought it XD
PMEmail Poster
Zaxser
Posted: Jun 2 2007, 09:56 PM
Quote Post

After 5 years, I finally found the place to edit my member title

Member No.: 21530

Why isn't Shattered Galaxy on the list? I'm way too lazy to post my own, but here's a rather in depth explaination of game play.

This post has been edited by Zaxser on Jun 2 2007, 10:10 PM
PMEmail Poster
=AM=L!v3
Posted: Jun 16 2007, 10:26 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 60197

Marathon: Bungie created game for Macintosh system 7.5 - 8 or 9. Basicly DOOM 2, but in space.

sorry I am not l337 with the linking...

(Marathon is my Avatar)
Gourry_Inverse
Posted: Jul 2 2007, 07:19 AM
Quote Post

Flutterguy
Group Icon

Member No.: 16049

One can find a bunch of good old-style adventure games at AGS, including fan-created VGA point-and-click remakes of some of the Sierra parser-based games (King's Quest I thru III, etc).

I'm currently playing the "5 Days a Stranger" series of short games and they are quite good, despite the fact that the graphics are little better than the original Maniac Mansion.
PMEmail Poster
Wonder Chicken
Posted: Jul 2 2007, 01:58 PM
Quote Post

~Makoto's Way~

I'll just add that Gemini Gold has gotten a new version (1.02) out with much better graphics and bug fixes. See the first post for a link to the site, the newest version is up already. For those who liked Privateer, then it's going to be a feast.
PM
1337m4732
  Posted: Aug 18 2007, 02:26 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 61085

QUOTE (Master Stopa @ Sep 9 2006, 02:43 AM)
Actually i quite like the game tho it has several minuses. It also has plusses.
First it is Java-based so no download is required. Also its requirements are as low as zero. Basically if you can read this, your PC is good enough to play it.
Then there are weekly updates. It updates EVERY WEEK, bringing new monsters, areas, quests, items etc.
More than 100 quests. Yeah thats my favourite part-the quests. They have cutscenes and stuff and its simply fun doing these. I find that quests in RS quests better than in other MMORPG.
Community is actually pretty good. Of course if you like to hang out in Lumbridge(the starting city and the city you appear in if you die) then you would like to turn your public chat off...Especially in free servers.
Each account gives you right to create only one character and only in human race, but hey you can use this character on all of the 120+ servers.
120+ servers >=]. Each can hold up to 2000 people but if you play in the morning most are empty anyways.
Minigames. Bored of killing things to level up? Go and play some! Some are really fun and have great rewards. There are also combat-based ones.
Non-combat skills. Also a good part of the game in my opinion. Im sick of all MMORPGS being based on killing and theres really not much to do. In RuneScape you will find more than 20 skills like farming, construction, fishing, cooking, HP etc.
You can train pures since the combat level(for usual MMORPGS 'the lvl') is based on many skills like magic, attack, strenght, defence, ranged, hitpoints, prayer which are all separate from each other.
Now to the minuses.
Its Java--based so dont await superior graphix. JaGEx is updating old ghraphix quite alot but they still dont look very realistic or something.
Word blocker.
The new game engine release in beginning of this year made it better but still the blocker system may block normal words for no good reason. This is especially annoying if you speak russian, believe me ninjanatsD.gif .
Noobs.
Yes, noobs. No worries tho there arent really many more than in other MMORPGS. If you really want to get rid of them become a member(p2p version of the game approx. $5-7 a month) and dont hang out in noobish areas.
If you want to know more you can aswell go to Wikipedia.

Wow.

Another Runescape froob.

First of all, the graphics are horrible (in-browser game, wha'd ya expect?)
All the updates/quests/new monsters/more then 3 quarters of the map
are all only available to members. (except for some exceptions)
Most of the game is members only, which really ticks you off when you
get bored of free stuff at a high level. The free quests are all extremely easy,
except for like 2 hard ones( there is only like 15 or less free quests). Considering the amount of things which are members only, it shouldn't be considered a free game. Also, the game has a horrible community.Half the people are disrespectful 10 year olds, who constantly complain, say noob, beg, and ask really stupid questions. A lot of 10 year olds try to scam, because they don't know how to do anything else in the game. A lot of people auto-bot, and get really high statistics by leaving their computer on all night. The updates are annoying.You wait for an update, and then log in again, and then it turns out nothing changed. 85% of updates are probably members only. To become a member you have to pay $10 dollars a month, not $5-7. The game is good, because killing isn't the only thing you do, and in some quests you have to think, but I think killing things with a bazooka is funner then cutting down trees. The blocker is a real B***H!!! Seriously. You type in WWWASSUUUPPP HOMIE! and it turns out "******SUUUPPP HOMIE!".
It blocks out all these flippin words, it makes it hard to talk.
The weapons and armor are all the same, just different colors.

I could probably keep on ranting for hours about how bad the game is,
as my friends play it, and I tell them to play games that are actually fun,
like Battlefield 2, or WoW, or at least something where you don't sit all day
and just right click, left click, right click, left click.

So please, if you are going to play runescrap consider what
other games you can play (that are fun),
before you get sucked into the chant of the runescape froobs.

PMEmail Poster
Wonder Chicken
Posted: Oct 22 2007, 03:13 PM
Quote Post

~Makoto's Way~

Standoff Episode 4 was recently released (see first post for the site link). God it's great to be shooting Kilrathi again, especially with new graphical enhancements.
PM
Shikigami
Posted: Oct 26 2007, 02:26 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

SneezyMUD found at play.sneezymud.com has to be the best MUD I've ever played, seen, heard of, etc. Unfortunately with the release of WoW, and especially the BC expansion, the playerbase has somewhat deminished. It's sad to see such a great game going down the drain because only 15-20 people ever play anymore. Then again, who can resist graphics?

This post has been edited by Shikigami on Oct 26 2007, 02:27 PM
comeonfhqwhgads
Posted: Jan 6 2008, 01:17 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 51787

I've been playing SOE's Infantry Online for the better part of.. 5 years? Infantry is the evolution of Subspace It started as freeware on MSN Zone but then went p2p.. and has just recently come back to the good side, unfortunately shutting down the offshoot unofficial server I'd been playing on. ph34r.gif It was immensely better, with entirely player-created content. Infantry is a solid game with a lot of variety. Infantry itself is more like an engine with lots of 'zones' made out of it; soccer, hockey, CounterStrike style realistic combat, Future warfare, several deathmatch and CTF variants, dodgeball, etc. The interface can be extremely simple or immensely complex depending on the zone your'e in.
I'd estimate Infantry at 500-1000 active players.

I also used to play Tanarus, similar to infantry but in tanks. =/ It has also recently become free again.

I don't know if there's any playerbase left for Tanarus; when it went p2p the population died almost entirely.
PMEmail Poster
brains
Posted: Feb 28 2008, 05:48 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 63436

thanks for the list og games i found a few i am playing now
PMEmail Poster
Neko_Len
Posted: Mar 16 2008, 07:09 PM
Quote Post

poe~poe~

Member No.: 37891

Secret of the Solstice : just got into this game last night. Free to play, except for some premium items you can buy, which im not bothering with, as they dont seem necessary. This game very much seems to be a Ragnarok Online clone, but free, and a tad better looking. Currently in open beta stage, so there are a bunch of little bugs. Since i enjoy Ragnarok, im enjoying this pretty well.
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Breakfast Cyborg
Posted: Mar 27 2008, 08:44 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 63773

Well, theres Fiesta(Fiesta Official Website). Don't let the cute factor fool you, it's actually a lot better than it looks, and it's pretty deep too.

...although, I only played it for about an hour before I got bored and uninstalled. But at least I was interested for an hour! Honestly, after my WoW subscription ran out, I tried most of the games on this list. None of them could satisfy my insane MMO lust. Now that I've tried WoW, I don't think I can fully enjoy another MMO.
PMEmail Poster
Skulkraken
Posted: Mar 28 2008, 05:22 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

--People's Tactics
It's a free wargame, a fairly small and simple one compared to other wargames. Multiplayer's only either hotseat or PBEM.

--Steel Panthers - WWII/MBT
Another pair of free wargames, with nicer graphics. One focuses on WWII stuff, the other focuses on modern weapons. Again, hotseat or PBEM.
PMEmail Poster
Malagate
Posted: May 1 2008, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Something I found out about recently, despite it being around for years and being partially free.

Mount & Blade; link to some colourful information about the game, and another link to the latest version download.

It's technically a beta version of a full game coming out this year, it's a Medieval RPG without any fantasy elements but very big emphasis on involving combat, large battles and dynamic wars. As it's beta it's free and caps you at lvl 8, but you can get around the cap by purchasing it for a nominal price (early adopter discount) and even without buying it you can go anywhere in the entire game.
Combat is a bit like Oblivions, but a hell of a lot better and also emphasises mounted combat. Cutting down foot soldiers from the back of your charger has never been so much fun!
PMEmail Poster
BigDemonicBunny
Posted: May 1 2008, 07:07 AM
Quote Post

Apathetic Zealot

Member No.: 12205

There is always Gametap.
Lots of games. Everything from Tomb Raider to old arcade games to Sam&Max.
While most of it is only available if you go Gold (and pay) there is also a fairly large selection of free games.
PMEmail Poster
Skulkraken
Posted: May 22 2008, 05:40 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

FunOrb
Jagex, the company behind Runescape, has opened its own Java game portal, complete with achievements to earn. Apparently, anyone who ever registered a Runescape account in the past now has an account with it. The only game on it that interests me so far is an X-Com clone called TerraPhoenix. They still haven't brought back Castle Gamesdomain, however. dry.gif

Vulture's
This isn't multiplayer at all, but I figured it would be worth mentioning. It actually consists of two games: Vulture's Eye and Vulture's Claw. Vulture's Eye is a graphical version of Nethack, while Vulture's Claw is based off of Slash'EM.

Advance Wars By Web
This game is, as the name implies, Advance Wars played online. It features leagues, tournaments, a ladder, map-making, yada yada yada... Games can have up to 14 players.
PMEmail Poster
Idaho G33K
Posted: May 27 2008, 11:30 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 64392

Urbandead I know that it has been mentioned before but I have a few things to add. When you first start the game it can be very confusing, (Took me 4 or 5 failed characters to get two current steady ones). Anyways, I think it is a very fun game and is growing in popularity, it take only a little bit of time each day, and next to no commitment. Overall, I would reccomend the game to people who enjoy a game that takes some thought and planning.

P. S. The game has no real graphics and is almost exclusively text-based.
PMEmail Poster
sputnik
Posted: Jun 20 2008, 01:33 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 63971

http://www.spaceciv.com/
Risk+Star Craft on crack. Very good small community. Turn based, with hour long timer (usualy) so it can take up as much of your time as you want it to. Great game. Still in beta (but that means its free biggrin.gif ).
PMEmail Poster
Skulkraken
Posted: Jul 31 2008, 11:38 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

I've recently been getting into a game called Elona.

It's basically a roguelike mixed with a JRPG. The current version available for download is not fully translated, but it's still very much playable. The game features online play, but all that really does is allow for chatting and broadcasting other players' death messages and other news.

It also happens to lack permadeath. ...Instead, the game simply comes up with ways to kill you about ten times as often as in games like Nethack. tongue.gif

Ways like this:
user posted image
^ I ran into that thing on the first floor of a level 1 dungeon. >_> Thankfully, it doesn't actually attack unless you provoke it.
PMEmail Poster
GK910
  Posted: Sep 21 2008, 01:59 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

does anyone play Guild wars or World of Warcraft.... i personally play guild wars but i would like to know other peoples opinion on which they prefer....
qugopudding
Posted: Sep 22 2008, 02:28 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 64299

does anyone play Guild wars or World of Warcraft

I would rather swallow a fork via my anus than play WoW.

Also would some grammer kill you. I can understand if you have half your head missing but as far as I know your fine.
Skittle
Posted: Sep 22 2008, 03:17 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 62528

QUOTE (GK910 @ Sep 21 2008, 01:59 PM)
does anyone play Guild wars or World of Warcraft.... i personally play guild wars but i would like to know other peoples opinion on which they prefer....

My Opinion:

Guild Wars is for people who have nothing better to do and/or are losers.

Wow is for lifeless basement dwellers who sit around on vent all day eating hot pockets and talking computer talk. Wow is the source of all evil and consumes everything that's not already gay-ed up by its claws.

Diablo 2 or Starcraft, however, are great games and are fun to play because you're not called a noob every five seconds by someone who lives as I described above.
PMEmail Poster
qugopudding
Posted: Sep 23 2008, 02:29 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 64299

Diablo 2 or Starcraft, however, are great games

I approve of Starcraft. However, I think Diablo 1 was better than 2.
Ph34r Ryn
Posted: Oct 20 2008, 04:40 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 65620

Combat Arms
Warrock

MMOFPS games. free and fun
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
sounness
Posted: Dec 14 2008, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 57629

QUOTE (communismontoast @ May 14 2006, 08:13 PM)
Kingdom of Loathing
An Adventurer is you! I liked this one. It is a turn based mmorpg through your browser. Its a little annoying because you only have 80 turns per day. It kept me up many a night waiting for the rollover time. It's definately more fun if you are in the community. Listen to the KOL radio and go on the irc. That's were its at.

yah - this one is really good fun, i've been having a load of joy learning this one - and chuckling at the little games that the playerbase and the developers have been playing with the players ...

I also follow a strategy sim thing (MMORPG?) called

space:glory through conquest Space Glory Through Conquest - takes up a lot of time and buggah all graphics but it's an entertaining way to beat up and be beaten up with little space aliens - mind you I hear you can play it in your iPhone browser ... that's cool!
PMEmail Poster
Pordapod
Posted: Dec 22 2008, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

#2 fan of tonic's chest

Member No.: 1847

For any Three Panel Soul viewers S4 leauge, which means Style, eSper, Shooting, Sports, is a little MMO Action game designed by Korea, based outta the UK.

Firstly you have to Register (for free) at alaplaya (just type it into google) and then you have to actually download the game client. It takes quite awhile, their servers kinda suck sometimes. After you download the client and install it, you can log into the game using the account for alaplaya.

Now since it is outta the UK is has a very technorave-anime punk feel to it. Also the in game music consist of either Linkin Park Moaning or Disney sounding rap. But once you ignore the music (you can plug your own into the game mind you), the game play is pretty solid. Allow me to elaborate...

If you liked the action in Devil May Cry, then you will like the movement here. You can have three weapons at once, and they vary from standard issue sword to heavy cannons. There is of course, the dual pistols which you start with, and then other such things like the counter-sword which is brokenness incarnate. The eSper part comes in that you have skills. So far they have HP Mastery (more hp), SP Mastery (more SP), Detect (see people around you), Flying (duh), Block(makes a wall), Shield, Anchoring (hooking and wall jumping, Cloak (invisible). The best one I have seen is shield, very simply stops ranged attacks till your SP (equivalent of MP) is drained. So lots of quick paced shooting and sword play.

There are currently 2 modes of play, Death Match (which is team deathmatch) and Touchdown (really nasty football.)

The money system in the game is PEN, which you acquire after matches and by completing little in game missions (kill someone 5 times etc). There is also something called AP which is the currency you buy and of course is gives you access to some stupid things. See, since Style is a big part of the game, one of the hooks is the clothes you can dress you character in, but as you get higher level, basically they get sluttier. There are some cool outfits, and the main reason to buy clothes is because they can give you in game boosts to different things. With AP you can buy clothes that give bonuses to PEN, and the same clothes as before but in different colors. It can get a bit stupid yes.

Now the People, since it is all techno crap, there is a very large majority of young kids on here. ages 12-16 are abundant. There is stupidity, but only as much I have ever seen on any game. "Hey are you a girl in real life?!?!" "Dude that was BS hackz!!!!11" and other such bullshit. Something people make a swords only match and someone doesn't listen, but it is normal levels of internet stupid.

I play the game with my girlfriend and we have a blast (I am apparently really good) so I do recommend it if you can get past all the stupid vanity and just enjoy it for MMO Devil May Cry, I think you will enjoy yourself. Oh and if you are interested, let me know, I am always looking for someone competent to play with.
Project J
Posted: Jan 3 2009, 08:45 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 66039

EXTEEL.

Third Person Shooter.
With Mechanaughts.
Mash Armored Core, Gundam designs and phallic imagery together and you have it.
Have to download client but most of it is free aside from parts and mechs you can pay for. NCsoft stuff, not bad at all.

Play it lol.
PMEmail PosterMSN
73h Ph34rb07
Posted: Jan 20 2009, 11:16 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Ok, on my iPod again, so no links.
Dragonfable: just like adventurequest, but A lot better, with better art and the ability to MOVE!
Mechquest: same company, and the navigation system is similar to df, however, the combat sytem is entirely different. It takes place ages before df is set, which is ages before aq, but this has robots. ??
The combat system relies on setting up an efficient and continuous set of weapons, as each weapon requires a cooldown.

AQworlds: made same company, this is their attempt at an mmo, tho for me, it falls flat. The quests are horribly vague, and you miss out on a lot if u don't upgrade.

Combat arms: very fun mmofps, my only complaint is the weapons Renting system
As it keeps Ppl from keeping a good wep for more than a day without grinding for money.

73h Ph34rb07
Posted: Jan 20 2009, 11:27 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

QUOTE (FEpower @ Jul 5 2006, 10:39 AM)
Second Life

Dunno if you want to count this one as a game or not. No levels to go up, I guess it's more like a Sims Online but with several thousand people at a time in it. You can build stuff, interact with people in just about any way you want, and you can get a "job" in the game if you want to earn money while on a free account.

They have the grids (servers) broken in to two basic sections, Teen Second Life for people 13-17, and Second Life for everyone that is 18+ (lots of mature content on the regular grid)

Oh no, second life!
The gAme can barely be considered f2p, as you pay real money for ongame money, which is the only way to get anythin good.
And as for the mature on the main grid, there's still plenty of unicorn rape on the teen grid
73h Ph34rb07
Posted: Jan 21 2009, 09:09 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

damnit shadowabne, why only fileplanet!
nO POINT IN PAYING 5$ A MONTH FOR ONE GAME.
larg0andr3sp3ct
Posted: Mar 14 2009, 06:59 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

HI there... sorry for the n00b post, but I HAVE to add one... there's this website(yea... it's kinda related to some you guys talk about), and it's called gaiaonline.com. It's updated whenever possilble, and it has it's own MMORPG(zOMG!). It is so cool! Seriously! I've been on that site for over a year.Once you visit, it would be so cool you'd wanna join too! You can design your own avatar--you can make it like a mini-version of yourself, or whatever you want it to look like, whether it be completely ridiculous or totally awesome is up to you! And there are also forums that you could get into, as well... there are many types of forums there just for you. whatever you choose is totally up to you. There's even series-related forums there! smile.gif If you do decide to sign up, my username there is Shann0n_4eva. biggrin.gif
NarutoAngel221
Posted: Aug 26 2009, 09:25 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 67473

Can I also add Conquer online 2.0...I wonder if this is ok coz I have been playing it for long time now and it is still free until now

http://co.91.com/ - official site
PMEmail Poster
B33Rplx
Posted: Nov 1 2009, 11:28 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 67878

Plane shift: A 3D fantasy MMORPG where role playing in emphasized. The story behind the world Ylaikum is pretty cool considering its inside a giant stalactite. Any ways if you want to know more about it the url is http://www.planeshift.it

Zero Online: Is a Sci Fi MMO where you are a pilot of a mech. To me its slightly reminiscent of Gundams. If you ever wanted to play a MMO that made you into a Gundam pilot with the full ability to customize your unit then here you go. http://zo.91.com/index/

Enjoy biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by B33Rplx on Nov 1 2009, 11:29 PM
PMEmail Poster
Souldier
Posted: Nov 2 2009, 01:11 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 56407

DFO: Dungeon Fighter Online. Beat-em-up style MMO. it's on nexon.net, same guys that have Maple Story.
PMEmail Poster
gamero
Posted: Jan 23 2010, 09:35 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 68585

Check www.disney.com out, they're selling game golds with lowest price!
PMEmail Poster
WhiteFD
Posted: Feb 18 2010, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 68785

I'm glad that MapleStory,DFO,and Combat Arms got mentioned, but there's another game from Nexon(company that runs MS,DFO,andCA) that wasn't mentioned.
Mabinogi: Kinda like Runescape on crack and is actually WORTH playing. The coolest atribute of this game is that you can actually make your own music and play it.biggrin.gif This feature is quite useful to aspiring musicians.There's also real-time combat, and you do lots of other stuff such as cook, go to school,get a job,fish,hunt, and throw campfire parties. See? Runescape on crack and worth playing. And here's the link:Mabinogi link

This post has been edited by WhiteFD on Feb 18 2010, 10:13 AM
JimmyAdam
Posted: Mar 17 2010, 01:08 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 69053

Thanks for the sharing, Its informative
PMEmail Poster
reimaru
Posted: Mar 26 2010, 05:04 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 69132

try Casvian, web browsing based MMORTS
it's like Heroes of Might and Magic
Casvian
PMEmail Poster
1337 7074 933l<
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 01:16 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 69759

Total Annihilation
Awesome RTS game thats so old the copyright has expired I think, so I think it's free.

The Spring Project
Inspired by ToTa but open source and has lotsa mods n stuff. For example there is a star wars mod, a WW2 mod and lotsa other stuff.
http://springrts.com/

This post has been edited by 1337 7074 933l< on Jun 8 2010, 01:20 PM
PMEmail Poster
Tom8903
Posted: Jun 14 2010, 12:01 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

QUOTE (ArcticSwan360 @ Jul 13 2006, 01:35 PM)
Lately I've been looking for a free game like Nethack but which isn't so hardcore. I don't like the idea of loosing your save after dying and the extreme importance of food. Castle of the Winds was a good game, but I need something new now.

this isn't an MMORPG, but you should try Exile, or for the new computers it's called Avernum. for Exile a few are now free but for Avernum you have to pay after a certain point.
Mangamanic76
Posted: Jul 25 2011, 09:23 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 74493

World of Warcraft now has some free online but you can only go to level twenty and stop leveling after that but is still able to level up and explore around. able to select draneai and blood elf unlike the trial version and are also able to hold 10 gold so able to get mount
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (5) [All] 1 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topic