l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (5) All [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Free Games And Stuff [feb 15, 07 Updated], MMORPGs, MUDs, etc your suggestions
Char
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 01:55 PM
Quote Post

♪So I got married♪
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 803

Last Update: Feb 15th, 07. Thanks guys / gals

I'm sick of this topic popping up every week or so, so Ima making a thread here

please post your suggestions and give some thought to each game if possible~ maybe an intro or so, so I can edit it into this main post. kthx

I will ban you if you use this to pimp or plug your recruitment site. <3

I guess it's not just restricted to "MMORPGs", but any online game with some sort of community, I guess. MUDs are allowed

but as usual, those stupid recruitment websites are prohibited

Thanks everyone for the links and info. Ctrl-F each game for information.

Simplifed Master list
PMEmail PosterIntegrity Messenger IMICQAOLYahooMSN
Gamefreq
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 03:21 PM
Quote Post

Aged Lurker

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 22060

Just to get the basics out of the way:

Priston Tale: Requires a download, but is pretty nice for a free MMORPG. The battle system works well, teaming up with people isn't a drag, and stealing kills isn't possible, since if you're not working on a team, the first one to attack an enemy *claims* the enemy, which stops that pesky little problem some games have with stealing kills. The classes are good, but it lacks a good storyline, but then again most free MMOs don't have stories. Highly reccomend this game if you are too cheap to pay for the really good MMORPGs.

Dofus: It has a good class system, and the battle system's different than most. Problems are though, that without a friend, this game can grow very boring, and the battles in this are turn based. They do updates for this game every once in a while, from new maps to new classes. Dispite how each person of their class looks the same, you can completely color your armor (and for some, your skin) any color you want.

Runescape: Does this even need a discription? Dispite my not liking it, many others seem to enjoy it. It allows you to do many boring repetitive tasks to gain levels in skills such as *gasp* making fires! Cooking! Cutting down trees! Then there's the fighting, and the *wonderful* people online who make the game a living hell with their begging for money and the like.

MapleStory: 2D in it's purest form. The people in this game are like that out of an AOL chat room, and to top it off they all clump into the gates of each town all talking at once, causing lag even in a 2D game... The battle system's flawed, and the amount of experience required to level up, along with how strong they made the enemies (too strong if you ask me), plus losing experience when you lose, makes the game a very non-rewarding experience. Still, others seem to like it.

Well this about covers the ones I can remember. They aren't that great (other than Priston Tale), but hey, they're free.

Edit: Well, since MUDs are allowed...

AvPMUD: Basically Alien versus Predator versus Marine. It's been around for a while, and is completely text based. A good time passer if you're at a computer that can't really run any real games. They make changes from time to time, so expect the website to be down every once in a while.

This post has been edited by Gamefreq on Mar 26 2006, 09:42 PM
PMEmail Poster
Jeffu
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 03:37 PM
Quote Post

stop poking me :(
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33958

Knight Online - I recommend this game. Graphics are pretty decent, and you gain experience according to the amount of damage you too. I don't recall having kills stolen from me in the time I played. Being in a party isn't that bad, I gained quite a lot of levels being with some high levels while they fought strong monsters. PvP is in a special arena type thing which you can get to through the main town. All in all it's a good game. Quests are quite boring, kill this to get x amount of items and such. To get better weapons you either get them from monsters or upgrade them with a slight risk of failure.

Silkroad Online - The only good thing about this game I find was the PvP. You can be a theif, merchant or a hunter. Theif can kill hunters and kill merchants for the goods which can be sold at the theif den. Merchants (the most boring class, IMO) transport goods from town to town to gain profit. Hunters hunt for theives and assist the merchants. I was a theif, quite fun. Nothing like pouncing on a merchant train with your guild and then riding away on your camel with stolen goods (that rarely happened though...) You gain experience based on how much damage you have dealt, so kill stealing isn't a big issue. You can level up certain skills according to your style in combat. Fire, the strongest 'burns' the target and deals damage repeatedly over a short period of time. Electricity can stun an opponent. Ice can slow down your opponent, and if lucky freeze them.

Fly FF (Fly for fun) - Nothing extremely special about this game, aside from the fact that you can (after level 20 I believe) get a hoverboard or something to fly around. Characters are pretty cute, but training is extremely boring. The npcs are a bit confusing with the horrible english translations the game has. Worth a try, although I didn't like it that much.
PMEmail Poster
unimportantguy
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 06:27 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 2491

Medievia: Yeah. It's a MUD. Yeah, there have been infamous legal issues around the code. But it sucks you in. I've been playing Medievia for like... 5 years or something like that. Mostly because I am slow-slow-slow at levelling. Things like the AutoQuests, where a random NPC will drop a scroll, or just ask you to complete a quest, give plenty of things for people to do at all levels. Not to mention the trading system, ships, Dragon Lairs, HeroBattles, and the fact that the PK areas of this game will genuinely have you feeling nervous as hell. Years of careful work have gone into Medievia, and it shows. If you want to look me up on there, I'm Zarenious, and I'm usually on at least once or twice every week. Though, I haven't been on these past couple weeks... cooling my heels after someone PK'd me and took my favorite equipment...
PMEmail Poster
Keita-chan
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 06:53 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 13438

O2Jam NX (Malaysian Version) - An online 7-key music game similar to the Beatmania series. Very wide range of difficulties, so enjoyable for anyone who likes music games.

(Though the game and most songs are free, there are some things that can be purchased with e-Points (some songs, items for your in-game avatar) which typically cost about $3 for 100 if you buy in "bulk." You can sign up for an e-Games account (which is also needed to play O2Jam) at http://www.e-games.com.my and e-Points are best purchased from http://www.hitzgames.com ; last I was aware, HitzGames was the only e-Point reseller to accept PayPal.

VegaStrike is an open-source space combat sim.

Privateer Remake is a remake of the DOS game Wing Commander: Privateer, using the VegaStrike engine.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
TheStupidOne
Posted: Mar 26 2006, 09:06 PM
Quote Post

♫ <3 Satori~ ♪
Group Icon

Member No.: 32218

Of course I'm gonna pimp teh loligolfs.

Albatross18 - Realms of Pangya is the official English version of Pangya, probably one of the most popular online games in Asia. It's basically like an online version of Hot Shots Golf; more of an arcadey game than a true golf sim. It's free to play but you can choose to purchase "cookies" and buy equipment and items for your character.

Unlike some other free games, you don't need to buy anything to fully experience the game, or to play certain courses. The pay stuff consist mostly of equipment and items which are somewhat better than their in-game currency counterparts, but in no way is it necessary to buy anything to be a decent player.

The graphics and art are pretty, the characters are cute, and it's a blast to play.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQAOLYahooMSN
Skulkraken
Posted: Mar 28 2006, 03:07 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 45348

Subspace/Continuum >> 2-D shooter with many modes of play, scattered across many 'zones', spread among a large number of servers. I haven't played in a while, but I believe that the Trench Wars zone is still the most popular, with its one-shot kills and all.

Utopia >> Text-based strategy game where players are divided up into groups, called kingdoms. Each kingdom can have a monarch selected from among its members, which allows them to wage war as a group against other kingdoms. Players can attack freely with or without a war, though they typically aren't as effective without the rest of the kingdom backing them. The game stresses communication between team members, at least on a daily basis.

Archmage >> Another text-based strategy game, with somewhat of a Magic the Gathering-esque atmosphere. Players choose colors, which decides what their primary troops and spells are. Again, they battle each other, though in my experience this doesn't happen as often as in other games of its type.

Archspace >> This game is somewhat similar to Archmage, but with aliens instead of magical creatures. I personally didn't enjoy this game as much, since the player community in it is...intensively competitive, for lack of a better term.

War of Conquest >> An online strategy game that uses a Java-based client. Players are given control of countries, with the option of banding together to form republics. These groups and individual players compete for control of stones scattered across the game field, which earns credits. The game is free, with little to no advertising, though players have the option of purchasing extra technologies and special abilities for an extra edge; with either credits earned in-game or by spending money through Paypal. Players who earn enough credits in the game can trade them in for cash, though the exchange rate is typically quite low due to low spending by players.
PMEmail Poster
TheStupidOne
Posted: Apr 6 2006, 11:40 PM
Quote Post

♫ <3 Satori~ ♪
Group Icon

Member No.: 32218

Ooooh... forgot one that a lot of MT'ers are playing.

Travian is a war-sim browser game set in medival times. The game consists of 3 different tribes, the gauls, the romans, and the teutons. Each have their own unique strengths and weaknesses. Kinda like Age of Empires, there are 4 resources: clay, wood, iron, and crop. You increase your production rate by improving the fields; higher level fields net more resources/hr. Same applies to buildings; you construct them then level them up to gain certain attributes and expand your tech tree.

The troops consist of various infantry and calvary units, each specialized in different fields, such as speed, attack, or defense. Siege weapons such as battering rams and catapults are also present. Rams are used to take down and destroy enemy walls, allowing your troops easier access to opposing villages, and catapults are designed to rain death upon enemy villages and destroy their buildings or resource fields.

By far the most expensive and powerful unit is the administrator. Known as senators for the romans, chiefs for the teutons, and chieftains for the gauls, these units are very expensive to research and train, but have the ability to capture enemy villages. In essence you can assault someone's town, and use administrators to capture the village and turn its citizens against their former leader.

What sets this game apart from other RTS games is the scale and timespan of the game. Troop movements and buildtimes are very long, sometimes reaching into the span of hours and even days. This isn't a game you can just sign up and mass an army instantly; it takes patience and strategy to amass a force and perform military maneuvers. It is very much a team-based game, because alone, you can easily get wiped out.

The Travian entry on the MTWiki has a list of current MT players and their locations in the world. Most play on server 2, but some have accounts on server 4. Unfortunately server 2 registration is closed, so you're out of luck joining in there.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQAOLYahooMSN
SpyderGreywolf
Posted: Apr 7 2006, 09:04 AM
Quote Post

The greatest thing since sliced golf balls.

Member No.: 34661

Gotta give mah props to my boys at Iron Realms Entertainment, a Bay-area company specializing in MUDs. Here's the detail breakdown on all their games. All their games have intense PvP, strictly enforced roleplay, city-based politics, warfare and intrigue, and unique themes. Now, these ARE MUDs, which means text-based. Not to discourage anyone, but if that, or a moderately steep learning curve throws you off, these games might not be for you. Once you get into them, however, they are intensely fun and addicting, and of course PHREE to play, though you may buy in-game credits to spend on lessons or artifact equipment (or to sell to other players for in-game gold) if you wish. Having such a purchase is not required to play or even to enjoy the game, however (even though there's quite a few overpowered artifact whores waltzing around out there).

First up, my personal favorite and the first IRE game I played, Aetolia, the Midnight Age, the 'dark fantasy' game of the set. There's been a lot of changes to the game recently, including the shift in major conflict from the old and tired 'good vs. evil' to the new and shiny 'life vs. undeath', changes in city alignments, and the major reason I've been absent from these forums recently, the new were-creature guilds, the Atabahi (werewolves) and Bahkatu (were-bears). GO WOLVES! There have also been major updates to the premier undead class, vampires, in recent days, and the administration has really been busting their butts to make Aetolia stand out recently. Shaping up to probably become the best of the lot.

Then there's Imperian, the Sundered Heavens. I played this one for a while too, the magick/anti-magick conflict is quite interesting and definitely off the norm, the world and some of the unique classes are quite cool.

I suppose I ought to mention Achaea, Dreams of Divine Lands here as well... well... if it's your thing, it's the oldest and most popular of the IRE games. I found it to be rather chaotic, with a higher than normal learning curve. It does have a ton of cool class/alliance combinations, however, due to its autoclass system. I will note that despite the fact that I've heard some unpleasant things about the playerbase I did find them to be quite friendly and helpful, even if I did have a mild unpleasantness with an Administrator over my choice of name.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
BrokenWings
Posted: Apr 7 2006, 10:44 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 30841

Correct me if im wrong but isnt Priston Tale pay2play after a certain level?
PMEmail PosterAOL
Maliciel
Posted: Apr 9 2006, 08:47 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 35044

After level 40, to be exact. Some incarnations of it are f2p, such as thai PT (its legal for foreigners to play~), but the interface is well..thai. People are saying it may be free soon though. ohmy.gif
PMEmail PosterAOL
Wonder Chicken
Posted: Apr 9 2006, 08:30 PM
Quote Post

~Makoto's Way~

Member No.: 33190

Let me throw is some good ol' Space combat sims for the mix:

Privateer Gemini Gold: An offshoot of the Privateer Remake that throws out fan content in favor of creating an experience closer to the original with improved graphics and effects, this is especially for those of us Privateer fans who found the fan content in Remake very annoying.

Wing Commander Standoff: A Wing Commander Secret Ops mod that takes place during the events of the Fleet Action novel written by William R. Forstchen. Battle the Kilrathi as the Confederation prepares to defend Earth against an almost unstoppable force.

I'll also warn potential pilots that Standoff is meant to be hard - that being said, enjoy!
PM
shinaobi
  Posted: May 1 2006, 06:59 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 50390

Adventure Quest-ADDICTIVE, MAN!!!! Probably the only downside is that in order to get in after the first five logins, you will either
A. stay up VERY late at night sleep.gif
B. become a guardian/X-Guardian(recommended) biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
C. use a hack(LOSER) tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
PMEmail Poster
ZirePhoenix
Posted: May 2 2006, 08:05 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 33202

Rockstar Games made GTA 1 & 2 and Wild Metal Country free.

Also, due to some domain name issues, I guess it would take some effort to find The Underdogs. The place is excellent for abandonware stuff.
PMEmail Poster
~factory
Posted: May 8 2006, 08:36 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 50019

Freeloader (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3137239) is an excellent site for free games (no, it's not what it sounds like. it's all freeware and shareware). I highly recommend Doukutsu Monogatari.
PM
vash324
Posted: May 11 2006, 05:57 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 40331

http://www.gth.com.my/
Gate to Heavens, basically it's your average Asian-made mmorpg that's pretty good for being free and all.
PMEmail Poster
Echo
Posted: May 11 2006, 06:04 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 357

I'm a little surprised that nobody's mentioned Anarchy Online. They have an offer right now where players can play their basic version (no addon packs) for free until January 15, 2007.

It ain't pretty, but it's not a bad game.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Haru-kun
Posted: May 11 2006, 07:38 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 50706

Hehe, I got one you guys haven't mentioned yet:
Gunz Online

It's a really neat game that combines melee, shooting, and RPG action into a chaotic piece of gamer's heaven! It's basically a tournament style shooting game... kind of like Unreal Tournament. However, the element of melee combat has been added. There are pistols, SMGs, shotguns, rifles, rocket launchers, katanas, dual kodachis, explosives, and all sorts of other goodies! You also get the whole action-dodge thing where you can tumble and shoot, and there is actually a levelling system, though it's mainly used so that you can wear better equipment. All in all, it's a great game!
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
communismontoast
Posted: May 14 2006, 08:13 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 38006

Kingdom of Loathing
An Adventurer is you! I liked this one. It is a turn based mmorpg through your browser. Its a little annoying because you only have 80 turns per day. It kept me up many a night waiting for the rollover time. It's definately more fun if you are in the community. Listen to the KOL radio and go on the irc. That's were its at.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
meika51886
Posted: May 20 2006, 11:28 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 50937

City Of Ages note: this is the home page there is a link marked "connect" on there to play. its a MUD game, the only one I play, I just haven't put forth the effort to try other ones. its really good but if too many people are on finding things to kill is harder.
There are a lot of levels, and lots of items, (I think its an item based game but not sure) you can quest, gamble, join a clan, achieve clan rank, capture the flag, battle other players, & there is no corpsing. but you do drop your money after you achieve a certain level or die to many times I don't know the particulars. The people are helpful and friendly. Really friendly to nubes like me.
its a good game.

This post has been edited by meika51886 on May 20 2006, 11:30 AM
ConvoyAsh
  Posted: May 28 2006, 11:35 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 51155

wow.... some of those i have seen and or tried. but right now i am playing Maplestory, have and will play agian world of warvcraft. I will also be getting back into ragnarock on the private servers and not the bot laddened IRO servers. unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster
Sekoku
Posted: May 29 2006, 09:31 AM
Quote Post

Olf is a sad, sad, little man.

Member No.: 20528

Download:

Freeciv is a free version of Civilization 1 and 2. It has those rule-sets and a custom "Freeciv" ruleset. Highly customizable (to an extent) and is multiplayer and free.
FreeDoom currently is working on a free version of the Doom (1 and 2) WADs. But, can be used to run the iD (commerical) WADs on modern operating systems.

Not download:

Outbreak is an alright game. It's a vast opposite of Urban Dead (I'll get to that in a minute), as there is no limit on moves. The game is in beta right now, and a few changes turned me off of it. If you can get around it being updated when you're sleeping, it's a good game.

Urban Dead is a zombie-based game. It is like Outbreak, but limits your turns per day (50 "Action Points"). The game was immensely popular back when it came out in 2005, but the players have slowly left it to where there are a good-sized base of people still playing. You could get into a group (but sadly, there isn't a MTF group) and organize attacks on zombies/humans. Metagaming here is really good. Also, all the players are human played, compared to outbreak's focus on having server-side AI attack you. Overall, I've been sticking with this one for a while.
PMEmail Poster
darkcloud
Posted: Jun 2 2006, 06:56 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 51308

Discworld A good MUD if you enjoy reading the books by Terry Pratchett, a lot of helpful folk and a good timewaster for me.
TracerBullet
Posted: Jun 7 2006, 10:07 PM
Quote Post

Here (in spirit).

Member No.: 2641

I've recently started killing some free time by playing Cardmaster Conflict. It's kind of a light, Java-based version of Magic: The Gathering. It also includes cards featuring characters from webcomics by Mark Shallow, Ian J, and a few others.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Skulkraken
Posted: Jun 29 2006, 11:52 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 45348

I've got a couple of games to suggest, though they're not really MMOs.

Battle for Wesnoth: This is an open-source, 2D strategy game. It's designed for play through various single-player campaigns, but it's possible to pit your armies against other players' in multiplayer scenarios. Pretty much everything in the game can be modified, from the units and art to the scenarios and campaigns.

GalaxyMage: Another open-source strategy game, this time with 3D maps combined with 2D characters. At version 0.3, it's much less polished at this point than Battle for Wesnoth, which has already hit its 1.0 release some time ago, but it still shows a lot of potential. The latest release includes multiplayer support.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (5) All [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topic