l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (29) All [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Favorite Video Games, Their Genres, And Why, Share your favorite video games
Cymbaline
Posted: Mar 9 2004, 11:24 AM
Quote Post

This Plane Will Crash Tomorrow
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8329

Both AMC and TMF have a sticky dedicated to your favorite pertinent works, and they've worked well. Given the number of similar threads we've seen spawned here, I don't think it's a bad idea to have a sticky dedicated to your favorite games.

So, to that end, feel free to share you favorites titles, their platforms, their general genres, and why you love them so much. You don't need to write an essay for each title, but give us more than just a name. Also, avoid bickering over other people's choices here; if you think someone's favorite game is a piece of shit, take that to other threads (or PM).

Here are mine:

Planescape: Torment - PC, RPG - Pretty much without a doubt my favorite game ever, and in my opinion, probably the best of both the genre and the medium in general. An intriguing world, a moody setting, a wonderful cast of characters, multiple approaches to most situations, and a twisting and turning plot that masterfully weaves all of the previous elements together. Torment is fucking awesome.

Fallout 2 - PC, RPG - It's open ended to the extreme, sports a wonderful character system that allows for a great deal of flexibility, is never quite the same twice, has a great atmosphere, and is hilarious to boot.

Final Fantasy 7 - PS1, RPG - What can I say? My first exposure to modern RPGs. I bought a PS1 for it. The cutscenes, the pre-rendered backgrounds, the 3D combat engine, the huge scope, the crazy plot, the music, the surprises - it was badass at the time in serious fashion, and as far as I'm concerned, it still is.

Disgaea - PS2, RPG - I have a lot of fun with tactical RPGs, and I have a lot of fun with leveling, so it's no surprise that Disgaea is a favorite. It's practically made for me. A level cap of 9,999 that can be bypassed? Fuck yeah! The ability to level up your items? I'm fucking there. The humor and wonderful character designs just seal the deal.

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - Genesis (my preference), Fighter - I may well have spent more time playing this than any other offline game. Maybe it's just because I know it best of the genre, but for me personally, no other fighter comes close. It was (and is) badass enough that it essentially created the fighter genre. Multiplayer doesn't get a whole lot more fun than in SFII.

Bionic Commando - NES, Action - I go back and play this one so often that I had to add it to the list. There's something that's unbelievably fun about swinging around on that bionic arm. What more can I say? Fun. Lots of fucking fun.

There are many other titles worthy of mention - Clash At Demonhead, Knights of the Old Republic, Final Fantasy Tactics, Lunar: SSSC, Silent Hill, and more, but for the sake of brevity, I'll stop where I did.
PMUsers Website
megagamer99
Posted: Mar 9 2004, 11:33 AM
Quote Post

Local

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 22084

Super mario rpg- rpg snes: bad ass, right up there with chrono trigger

Mechwarrior series- pc simulator: you get to blow stuff up with big robots, whats
better?
snk vs capcom- fighting dreamcast,arcade: my fav 2d fighter, iori is the man
PMEmail PosterMSN
Gourry_Inverse
Posted: Mar 9 2004, 11:38 AM
Quote Post

Flutterguy
Group Icon

Member No.: 16049

A damned good idea. Well, here goes nothin'.

Final Fantasy 9: My representative as my favorite game of the F.F. series, FF9 had everything I loved about the "old" Final Fantasy games: An intriguing plot, a fun ability system, nifty graphics (for its time), "old-school" character designs (Vivi = best), and no Tidus (which is a plus for ANY game.) I liked the characters in FF4 more, but not enough to oust FF9 as my favorite of the series.

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers: My favorite out of the old-school "point and click" adventure games, by far. First off, you have one of the most intriguing plots I've seen in a game of this type. Secondly, you have voice acting by Tim Curry. Third, it boasted some of the most intriguing puzzles out of all the Sierra-brand point-and-click games. Fourth (and finally), you get to use a mime as an item to solve one of these said puzzles. What's not to love?

Diablo II: Ah, click'n'kill RPG action at its best. I almost gave Champions of Norrath the nod over this game, but Diablo II was just SO much more in-depth. A vast array of character classes (made even better with the expansion), character abilities that really make a difference in the way the game is played, an insane amount of special/unique items that are actually WORTH KEEPING (stupid "leggings of poise" from CoN, with 5 defense and a +2 to dexterity... WTF?), and a thriving online community make this game the winner for me in this category.

Unreal Tournament: Still my favorite FPS after all these years, I had more fun than I care to mention with this game, both offline and online. Offline, you have bots that are fairly beatable even on Godlike difficulty, an excellent set of programmer-made levels, and an excellent balance of weaponry. Online, well, there isn't much that needs to be said in this category. This game was made for online play, and it shows.

-the rest of this list has been abridged for time.-
PMEmail Poster
Pero^2
Posted: Mar 9 2004, 01:45 PM
Quote Post

There was a fish in the percolator!
Group Icon

Member No.: 4853

Thanks, Cym.

Heres mine:

Quake II - PC, First Person Shooter (FPS) - I've never played through a game's single player mode more than I have Quake II, or dumped as many hours into a game's multiplayer modes. I've been playing it since 1997, and still do to this day. Fantastic graphics (that still hold up well to this day), music (Sonic Mayhem makes great visual media music), sound and overall enjoyment, Quake II is a classic. My favorite game of all time, period.

Shinobi III: Return of Ninja Master - Genesis, Action - The third entry in the Shinobi series had more flair and better level design than its two predecessors (those being Shinobi and Shadowdancer). Wonderfull enemies, levels where you got to ride a horse, jetski and hoverboard, and varrying gameplay makes Shinobi III my favorite sidescroller of all time.

Chrono Cross - Playstation, RPG - I hate RPGs, can't stand 'em. For exception of Breath of Fire and Chrono Cross, I always will. Chrono Cross's fierce originality and interesting characters really drew me in like no other game had before (regardless of genre). While not the best game as far as replay is concerned, Chrono Cross is a blast to play through every few years. Its not a game, its an experience.

Mario Kart 64 - N64, Racing - THE party game, bar none. Halo is Mario Kart 64's bitch.

Quake III:Arena - PC, First Person Shooter (FPS) - Simplistic, yet complex FPS that relies on the player's skill more than the power of the gun he or she is holding. Unlike Unreal Tournament, its perfectly balanced. The graphics engine is one of the most successful in gaming history and still holds up well now. Strong mod community, as well.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - Dreamcast, Sports - Dethroned NBA Jam (Genesis) as my favorite sports game the first time I played the demo for it in a Best Buy. A engine still used today, deep single player, crazy multiplayer modes, and innovative physics, Pro Skater 2 is simply an awesome game.

Command and Conquer - PC, Real Time Strategy (RTS) - Along side Blizzard's original Warcraft, C&C is one of the RTS Grandfathers. Good balance, unmatched sound and music for its time, and good multiplayer made C&C a winner.

Resident Evil II - Dreamcast, Adventure/Survival Horror - I'm a zombie film nut, so this game's premise and plot are gravy enough for me. Never mind the great story (which is the RE series' staple) that continued plots from the first and set up events for the 3rd. Scary atmosphere and claustrophobic settings kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time (especially in Clair's game with Mr. X). The best of the REs.

StarCraft - PC, Real Time Strategy (RTS) - The best real time strategy game to this day. Perfect balance is the game's strongest point. Incredible gameplay depth have people playing this game today as much as they were back in 1998. It also has a great storyline in single player mode, and fantastic cinematics.

Dead or Alive 2 - Dreamcast, Fighting - The best looking fighting game until recently (its sequel and Soul Calibur II are the only ones to top it by much), DOA2 had many varried modes that kept things interesting for a long while. The reason I kept my Dreamcast all these years.

This post has been edited by Pero^2 on Mar 9 2004, 01:58 PM
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
BlackPaladin
Posted: Mar 9 2004, 04:43 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 18032

System Shock 2 - PC, hybrid FPS - Irrational did a superb job of picking up the story where the first one left off, and they did excellent work with the addition of RPG elements. Also, the scarcity of ammo and deterioration of weapons with use actually made fighting through the game a desparate stand. The way I just barely slid by my first time through has made me a conservation-whore ever since. The atmosphere was also phenomenal, from the ghosts to the subplots revealed in the logs of dead crew members. So far this was the only game ever to make me cautious of going around corners.

Warcraft II - PC, RTS - This is, in my opinion, the best RTS ever. The game was balanced between the two sides, yet the units were enough different to make it interesting. Though it did not have multiplayer capabilities other than over a LAN or modem for a long time, it was still fun to play using these devices, and the single-player game was solid on its own anyway. The campaigns were similar in length and difficulty, yet the missions themselves were quite different in areas like terrain and layout. I also liked the story elements better than in later games because I didn't feel pressured to play the campaigns "in order."

[Editus Rex]:

Super Metroid - SNES, Platform - Simply put, I loved Super Metroid. It was structured enough that I was never lost for more than 15 minutes, yet open-ended enough that there was a certain degree of freedom as to the order you could fight the bosses in. The powerups were also extremely cool, and the graphics were very nicely done. Another plus is that this was the debut of Ridley in his aspect as coolest life-form in the galaxy.

Worms Armageddon - PC, TBS - Just plain hilariously funny and fun. What's better than dropping an old woman onto the wiseass who just hit you with a banana bomb? This is the ultimate party game.

TIE Fighter - PC, Simulator - This was, in my opinion, one of the best Star Wars games. I rarely touch flight simulators, but the Star Wars ones are the exception. I think that TIE Fighter was the best of this bunch. The lack of shielding or missiles for the greater part of the game actually makes it important to have skill at dogfighting. The Rebel scum doesn't stand a chance!

[/Edit]

That's enough for in-depth, but don't forget other classics like the Monkey Islands, Dark Forces, etc.

This post has been edited by BlackPaladin on Mar 9 2004, 07:48 PM
PMEmail Poster
Oshi
Posted: Mar 10 2004, 06:03 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 25258

hum...

Marvel vs Capcom 2 - yep i may not be at pro lvl or anything but ive played a single friend hundreds of times, maybe thousands... tongue.gif yeah... without going to arcades or anything, we strive to beat eachother... well... atleast until i moved out of the country :'(... yeah

Chrono trigger... yep my favorite RPG... maybe its because ive never even touched FF7... but yeah... ive played a few RPGs but this is my all time fav...

Neverwinter nights - yep i love this game... that is.. until..... well.. nm i still love it... never made another char other than my first... and shes so cool tongue.gif...

TES III: morrowind... well.. what can i say... a huge world... loads of freedom... no boundries... though the story isnt something i can do... its just fun to mess around...
PMEmail Poster
lunatix
Posted: Mar 10 2004, 08:02 AM
Quote Post

Returns

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 19639

Freelancer-PC Space Simulator:The closest thing to a Cowboy Bebop game.

Warcraft 3: The frozen throne-PC RTS: Not only are the campaign's actually worthwhile, but the campaign editors capabilities blow my mind.

Advance Wars 2:Black Hole Rising-GBA TBS: A Pocket sized strategy game, what more can you ask for?

Civilization 3-PC TBS: Fear the Lunatix Empire!

Deus Ex-PC RPG/FPS: Yes, the story is linear, but how you progress isn't.

Half-Life-PC FPS: Duhhh.

F-Zero GX-NGC Futuristic Racing: Fuck NASCAR, if you want speed, buy this game.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
b4k4mihofanboy
Posted: Mar 10 2004, 08:12 AM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 24346

Sega GT 2003: It has a panda scheme Trueno AE86. That's all I have to say. You Initial D fans will get what I'm talking about. (Best Moment (BM: Taking a 90 degree, hairpin turn in the Trueno at 140 mph and doing a perfect drift all the way through, then watching the replay and laughing your ass off as you watch the computer controlled cars try to imitate you and slam into the wall and each other)

MechAssault: General badassness in a tight, well built package. Good multiplayer too. (BM: Killing someone by dropping a building on your opponent in multiplayer, especially when you are in a tiny mech and they are in a huge one)

Metal Gear Solid: The whole "stealth over blazing guns" idea is really nice, and even more so sice they got it to work. (BM: Crawling around in a wet box, and watching the yellow "???" followed by the red "!" over the guards before you tranq them in the nuts. You can almost hear them say "WTF!?" Also, at the very beginning, shooting the alarm bells with the tranq gun and hearing that "ting")

007:Goldeneye: Still the best FPS ever made. (BM: A toss-up between playing "Slappers only" mode and running around as OddJob, beating everyone else in the nuts and playing "Proximity mines" mode and mining the whole damn level before hiding in a corner and hearing your opponent scream in frustration as they blow up 12 times just trying to get to you)

Halo: I dunno, I just liked it. Not as good as Goldeneye, but decent nonetheless. I think that if it had ragdoll physics and geo-mod technology, it would have been a lot better. (BM: Hearing the Grunts yell "ahhhhhhh! he's coming!" As you march around with your assault rifle blazing or sticking a plasma grendade to your opponent's face in multiplayer and watching them run around blindly for a moment before exploding)
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
I'm Unemployed
Posted: Mar 10 2004, 09:04 AM
Quote Post

Hell yeah I'm the motherfuckin' princess.

Member No.: 23573

Starcraft - Fucking badass. Although the original C&C games will always have a place in my heart, Starcraft just defines RTS games. Every team was incredibly balanced (there is never an instance of "Whichever team gets these units first wins"), and it was challenging. There is always more for you to learn as long as you let yourself do so.

Tetris - Best theme song ever. Also, incredibly addicting and fun.

Legend of Zelda - IMO, this is the definitive video game. It began a revolution, and was incredibly deep and intricate for its time.

Xenogears - The most perfect RPG I have played. I give it best storyline out of any RPG. The only real downsides were the second disc gameplay progression *shudder* and the extreme linearity (is that even a word? I'm making it one) of the gameplay.
PMEmail PosterIntegrity Messenger IM
GhostDog
Posted: Mar 10 2004, 10:28 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 20852

Super Metroid: Platform - Adventure
Undoubtably my greatest treasure. Land on the planet, blow junk up untill you find the metroid. I just love that setup because of the freedom it allows you. You can speed through the game, or take your time finding items and such, its great!

Metroid Prime: First-Person Shooter - Adventure
Same reasons as Super Metroid, and the graphics are great.

.hack series: RPG
One of the best non turn based RPG's I've played. The storyline is great, the weapons are great, and the simulated reality is amusing. Recieving emails and learning about people's personal lives, it was just funny how realistic the characters were (in that reguard). The only bad thing about this game are the voice acters (the English, not Japanese).

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Windwaker
Both of these games connected so well, it was breathtaking. Ocarina was the bomb for the storyline however, all Windwaker had to do was follow up.
Ocarina had incredible graphics during the time, like pulling the Master Sword from the pedistal. Oh yea, Z - Targeting (need I say more?)

Windwaker was just plain fun. I could complain about the graphics, but if Nintendo tried to go realistic with it, none of the awesome effects would be possible. The sword techniques would have cause lagage, lighting effects just wouldn't be there (in terms of how good they are), the game probably wouldn't have been as long, blah blah blah. Other things that were just great for me, Sailing (that requires an essay to explain) and music (the soundtrack is a must have). The music was great with setting the moods. Open the sail, enter the trumpet, draw sword, enter violins (that was the best). Just a great game.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Pand4monium
Posted: Mar 10 2004, 04:22 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 24994

favorite games? hehe who couldn't go on for hours on this topic?

Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn: - RPG - PC - One of the best RPG's I have ever played. The interaction between the main character (you of course tongue.gif ) and the NPC's is one to just cherrish. Based on the second edition DND system, they game's leveling and character designs are great. The storyline behind the game is supurb and with over 40= hours of gameplay, it's a game that you will be laying for quite some time.

Starcraft - RTS - PC - Never has a game taken me away from real life for so many countless hours upon hours. The online play is excellent (as long as you keep those 12 year old spammers out of the way) and I don't think I could live with out seeing my zerg rush kekekekeke biggrin.gif.

Fallout 2 - RPG - PC - Black Isle's best game ever made. Humorous, fun, graphic and suggestive, what more could you ask of a game? (besides a sequal sad.gif ) The combat system was fun and the character system (SPECIAL for you lamers out there biggrin.gif ) was awesome. Whore that AP baby, whore it.

RC Pro Am - Racing - Nintendo - This classic nintendo game has to be one of the coolest games I ever played as a kid. Collecting the letters to spell out
N-I-N-T-E-N-D-O was one of my favorite past times after school let out. What made this game great? who knows, I know that it will live in my memory forever

Last but not least (a slightly unknown one for you non die hard ADV. peeps out there)

EcoQuest 2: Lost Secret of the Rainforest - Adventure - PC - Talk about great games. This has to be one of Sierra's finest games back in it's glory days of the adventure genre (LSL, KQ and SQ aside that is happy.gif) While slightly aimed at kids, this game proves to be one interesting trip as you play as the character adam to save the rianforst, escape from evil bruts and stop the destruction of a village. Never had a game enthralled me as much as this one had. It's magisty and vivid graphics (for the time mind you) were amazing.

Well that's it! Thanks for reading, and maybe check out some of these old games biggrin.gif

[edit]
notice how there aren't many new games listed here. Quite frankly, most new games can't touch the magic that the old ones had, and it's a sad thing at that.

Also I wanted to add one more game
Oustpost 2: Divided Destiny - RTS (sorta biggrin.gif *for those of you who have played this, you will get that one* ) - PC - This game is not really great, but man, it was fun to the extream. Running from the blight, advoiding volcanic eruptions and finging those darn people from Eden, what more could you want out of a futuristic RTS? Anyways, this was the first game that I ever played on-line, where there were usually about 30 people on. Back in the days that I thought that they werte really computers and I was really just talking to an algorythem. Ahhh, the magesty of the internet...wait a sec...are yall even real?!?!
[/edit]

This post has been edited by Pand4monium on Mar 10 2004, 04:30 PM
PMEmail PosterAOL
Gamefreq
  Posted: Mar 10 2004, 05:45 PM
Quote Post

Aged Lurker

Member No.: 22060

Ah, just the kinda sticky I'm after! Well, here goes...

Final Fantasy 7: RPG, PS1: Big suprise I'd choose this one, and even though I beat it at age 7 without really understandng the story at the time, I played it later, absorbing the story this time, and I just had to say I LOVE IT!!! The graphics are crap, but if you look past that, it's generally the best RPG out there! It's even more fun when you have it on the highest speed and allow he opponent to atack even when deciding splls or items tongue.gif

Quake III: Shooter, PC: ADICTIVENESS! I wish I had a pc controller for this, but even without it, the game is good good fun! I use a FFIX Vivi skin in it tongue.gif

Legend of Mana: RPG, PS1: There is too much for me to say about this game, and I can saftley say I am extremely addicted to this one. You can forge your own weopons and give them magical properties from items you find, and (dispite how unreal this sounds) they made the possibilities limitless! My bow has the power to freeze people and has increased power! Also, you can raise your own familiar to fight with you, usually just different colored versions of a normal opponent, and they can either gain levels the normal way, or by grazing! Also, you can get normal characters to fight with you, or get someone from another save to fight with you, even in a two player fighting mode! Oh, and it's real time battles, not turn based, which leads me to my next game...

Star Ocean: 2nd story: RPG, PS1: Great game, great story, WONDERUL battle system (real time too), and about 120 different endings! It changes depending on your actions throughout the story (what people you use, what you do during private actions, how often you pickpocket...). It's good ol' addictive fun!

Super Smash Brothers Melee: Action, Gamecube: Great fun, and great when friends are over! Oddly enough, I'm good with the hated characters... (Mr. Game and Watch, Flaco, Captain Falcon, etc...). I'm really into it for it's multiplayerness.

Any Sonic Game: Action, a lot: It's what got me started as a child, and still a grand addiction! I generally don't like speed games, but this has to be my absolute favorite! Sonic Heroes, being the latest one, still ROCKS! I need to get out more...

F-Zero (Gamecube version): Racing, Gamecube: I generally HATE racing games, but something about this one really got to me... The racing endings are TERRIBLE, but the racing, the make your own vehicle fix, and the adrenaline rush are exilerating! It also has kewl music, contributing the adrenaline.

Lost Kingdoms 1+2: Action/Puzzle, Gamecube: Cards come to life! No not like Yu-Gi-Oh, but you actually use the caards to bring up swords, and creatures to fight -INDEPENDANTLY-. Completely worth playing! (Sorry, I am not only a gamefreq, but a card game junkie too)

Final Fantasy Tactics: Puzzle, PS1: Even if they -DO- walk in place, it is still fun, commanding an army with classes and stuff. A must play!

There are others, and if I remember any, I'll post more!

~ Gamefreq
PMEmail Poster
Oshi
Posted: Mar 10 2004, 07:54 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 25258

i wouldnt have thought so many good games...

supersmash bros the one on n64.. i dont know how much better melee is but, the first one was great... i loved it...

a great strategy game would be any of the SRW games... or some may know it as super robot taisen... umm.. yeah i like srw Advance best... its long and challenging... well its not too long... like the ps2 ones... 100 missions at about an hour per mission... a tad too long for me...

i got all four parts of dot hack... i just need to get around to playing them... i got up to like... the end of the second one... then lost my save file...
PMEmail Poster
CyberLance
Posted: Mar 10 2004, 09:02 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 7709

Sonic 1-3&KnucklesAction. I still play it on my Genesis. On a regular basis. And I enjoy it more than most of the newer games, with the exceptions of the Advance games.

Streets of Rage 2Action.I love the whole series, but it's got better gameplay than 1 and better music than 3. So it's my favorite. Being able to beat the crap outta fools with Axel's Bare Knuckle special was just gansta. Beat of Rage doesn't count, cuz I haven't actually played it yet.

Bionic CommandoAction.My Nintendo died. So I got a emulator for the DC. Then my DC broke. And I'm still crying about it. I'm actually looking for the GBC remake. Knocking an enemy back with the bionic arm, and busting a cap with the gun is just great. And it still looks damn cool. And the different weapons you could get was nice too.

MVC2 Fighting. My initial draw to this game was being able to use Spider-Man and Strider, and Jin on the same team. Then I got good at it. It's my second favorite 2D fighter, if only because competition dried up around here.

GGX2Fighting. My number one favorite. Because I've gotten good enough to beat all of my friends, and there's still a bunch of shit I can't do. It's a combination of speed and technical fighting... And the crazy characters.

I assure you, there's plenty more. But that's all that's in my mind right now.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Inferno
Posted: Mar 10 2004, 09:24 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 2703

favourite games huh...

ok letsee

Dune 2 - being the very first RTS i ever played, this game was awesome, everything from the quite balanced 3 sides to the whole strategic building placement (as you only had a limited block of land you could build on).

C&C Tiberian Dawn - this took Dune 2 to the next level, FMVs, modern day combat with futuristic elements, and who didn't love the GDI commando.
I GOT A PRESENT FOR YA!

Battlefield 1942: Desert Combat mod - well this instantly caught my attention, its just BF with a modern day theme, and flying apaches is the most fun i've had in a multiplayer FPS yet.

FF series - i generally liked most of the series excluding a few, great stories, some memorable characters and cool effects make this series totally cool.

thats about all i can think of right now... but im sure theres more.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Gamefreq
  Posted: Mar 10 2004, 11:48 PM
Quote Post

Aged Lurker

Member No.: 22060

QUOTE (Oshi @ Mar 10 2004, 07:54 PM)
I got all four parts of dot hack... I just need to get around to playing them... I got up to like... the end of the second one... then lost my save file...

That sux, I was stuck on the last boss of disk two, for like a day, and then, along came Sonic Heroes! You ever notice how the .hack games have easy missions and levels, even the extra ones, yet the final boss of the disk is like 20 times srtonger than the previous boss? Oh well, better that than the last boss be like a data hacked level 1 goblin or something.

Oh, since I'd feel guilty posting something like this without some kewl games mentioned, I remembered...

Tekken II: Fighting, PS1: I don't like the air juggling that game has, or the fact my father and I played it so much the disk went all god mode on us and allowed the enemy to teleport and breakdance in the floor (no joke). Also, I like it more for the fact my father was actually called in to do some of the moves for that game, and the winning stances, including Anna Williams biggrin.gif I laugh even today at him about that. Basically play as the Tekken II Beck and it's all My father's moves, even the move they have the child Beck do in the ending! But yeah, it sounded so kewl! He got like diddly-squat payment for it, and none of the technique contributors were even in the credits! Oh well whatever.

Soul Blade / Calibur II: Fighting, PS1 / 2: Soul Blade for all it's classicness, plus showing Sigfreid before becoming possesed by the sword and becoming Nightmare, plus it tells his whole story in that game! I also like Soul Calibur II for it's awsome gameplay! Weapons plus fighting equals super fun fun time! I rock as Raphiel, but then again, a lot of people do...

Street Fighter: Fighting, Arcade: Need I really say anything? Street Fighter's too classic to not know about!

The Misadventures of Tronne Bonne: Action /Strategy, PS1: I got it origionally as I had an extra $15.00 on me, and at the time Megaman Legends was adictive, so I got it. I generally like games about the bad guys! This game by the way rocks! You get to control all those little lego ripoff guys as Tronne inside a special machine that operates similar to Megaman, but kewler. Shame they didn't fight Megaman with that, they could have had a lil' more of a chance! Also, it's good comic relief, as all the lego dudes are like 3 year olds, so they make mistakes often, and Tronne has a super huge temper, so yeah...

X-Men 2: Clone Wars: Action, Genesis: The game's actually prety hard. I haven't even beaten the game yet, and I have had it since I was like 6 or so. Nightcrawler and Gambit rock in that game! Only flaw is the two player co-op can be really picky about keeping the other player with you, so yeah, falling off screen with two people, both players must be onscreen, so it become's even harder not to fall!

Star Fox 64: Space, N64: Ah, good ol' fun. Three different routes each one different than the next! Basically what got me used to an anolog when it was released on a controller. Only problem was that confounded Z button! You need to hold z to turn, and z's on the back of the controller! ARGH! Well, besides that, they had submarines, Ships, Tanks, and on foot! Nothing quite as good in that setup has yet hit my eyes or ears.

Jade Cacoon 1+2: Monster, PS1 / 2: I am way obsessed when it comes to cards or monsters, so I just chose the grandaddy of them all! In the first one, you could fuse monsters together endless times to increase it's stats , abilities, and change it's look, like give a snake dog feet, or a turtle wings and snake skin! That part in itself made it SO much fun. #2 rocks as even though they took out fusions, they made a formation mode! Elements go into specific formations, possitioning told what ability for it to use, and the works. Of all monster games, I'd have to say this one kicks all their asses.

Oh, by the way, I have 182 games (not including computer games or Roms) currently, in case you wondered. I also remember something from each and every one of them...
My website link has a page that lists EVERY game I have (not including computer games or Roms), so yeah, there we go!

~ Gamefreq
PMEmail Poster
digicypher4632
Posted: Mar 10 2004, 11:53 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 24852

Well I'm not sure if I can call this a definate list, but here goes.....

Deus Ex - (PC, RPG/FPS/Adventure/input your genre here) My god, I must have beaten this game over 20 times by now. Never has a sequel honestly made me want to kill the developers ever than the second abomination of this game. The first had everything, the non-linear gameplay, RPG elements, character interaction, story, everything I could ever want in a videogame. Too bad we will probably never see another like it... sad.gif

Chrono Trigger - (SNES, RPG) Still my favorite Square RPG of all time, even with a few flaws here and there. I just love the character development, story, and the multiple endings.

Unreal Tournament - (PC, FPS) I have invested so many hours into this game (on and offline) it really isn't healthy. It singlehandedly got me into the PC-upgrading bandwagon, and partially helped me choose my career (somesuch thing in IT, currently going for a BS in Network Security). It had a surprisingly heavy impact on my life considering it had next to no story happy.gif

Diablo 2 - (PC, RPG clickfest) Another game I have sank quite a few hours into. Has the pick up and play qualities of instant fun, with the depth to keep you there long into the night. Very well designed, and hopefully the idea of the gameplay will translate well into the MMO phase with Guild Wars (made by a bunch of ex-Blizzard employees).

Soul Calibur 2 - (Arcade, Fighter) Yes I said arcade, yo hell with fighters on console controllers! I was hesitant to put such a recent title as my favorite, but no other fighter (other than some of the Street Fighter series) has come close to the depth this game offers. Just give my Ivy and I'll own you all tongue.gif

2D Street Fighter Series - (Arcade/Consoles, Fighter) I really can't narrow this down to one game (although Alpha 3 would be close), I am just excluding the EX series from this, they all sucked it. This was one of the first games I ever played in an arcade, and kept me comming back for more, I just hope one day the arcades return to their former glory unsure.gif

Reading my post, I think I put a few too many in there, and I could probably go on, but thats all for now, too many great games to mention happy.gif .
PMEmail Poster
I?Robot?
Posted: Mar 11 2004, 09:57 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 25318

Aaargh, GameFreq has the Misadventures of Tronne Bonne. One day I will find and buy that game. As for now I have to content myself with adorning all my lecture notes with Servbots.

As for favourite serieses:

Megaman: a friend introduced me to X4 a few years ago and now it's my absolute favourite series. (if you measure favouriteness by how many of your dreams are based on the games, I figure megaman's way ahead). And Megaman Soccer is the greatest (and most realistic) sports game ever.

Resident Evil: This and the Megaman X series are the only series of games I've ever written online fiction rpgs on.

Zone of Enders: It's only had two games, but they're great. And if you've got a main character who's called Dingo and you're supposed to take him seriously, how can you go wrong?

Legacy of Kain: No game has a better storyline than these in my opinion, and the latest in the series - Defiance - is just beautiful in every way. Slash, argh.

Strip mahjongg: Just kidding.
PMEmail Poster
Zorrah
Posted: Mar 11 2004, 12:21 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 13823

Alright, here we go:

Final Fantasy Tactics: SRPG, PSX. I don't know what it is abou this game. Well, things that make it attractive: A wide range of unique classes. In depth character developement, I think I've tooled around with character creation/advancement more with this game than just about any other title.

Diablo II Hack-n-Slash, PC. I'm a huge fan of the hack-n-slash genre, despite the fact that most of them are commonly classified as the click as fast as possible (PC) or smash X as fast as possible (PSX, PS2). The genre as a whole is most enjoyable multiplayer, wether it's on one system like BG:DA II or over the internet or network like CoN or DII. I remember one especially cool play, where I was the sorceress and my barbarian buddy was being overwhelmed by a horde, right when I got, I spammed fireballs into the horde and saved his ass. Or seeing the blizzard spell in a multiplayer game without lag. That just kicked ass.

Final Fantasy 6: RPG, SNES/PSX, Ahh, Final Fantasy 6. I remember being the huge fan of FF and DW back in the day, but Final Fantasy 6 just has so much atmosphere. Like when the villain in the very begining threatened to burn down a heroes castle, it was playing this you're doomed type, sad, scary music, then bam. I know, not that impressive anymore, but it is most certainly among the earliest of that. The opera scene. Picking the right words, the mood soo well done, then you pick the wrong words and you sound like your tapes being eaten. Having your whole group positioned almost like a SRPG, in seperate parties trying to defend your position. You see your whole party marching off to war before that, you just know this is going to be good.

Dragon Warrior III: RPG, NES. Yeah, I had DWI, DW2, and FF1 before this. This is the first game where I can actually remember the name of a boss from something other than the manual or the cartoon, and he has a real name other than "black knight". Kendar, the fat bandit, who stole the crown for the king, then when you beat him there, he runs off, kidnaps two kids and you have to beat him again. Classic, although it doesn't sound like much now, I did also get this before Fantasy Star II was even out.

Suikoden: RPG,PSX. I bought the PSX for two games, this and FFVII. Notice how FFVII didn't even make my list. Yeah, it's that good. Featuring 3 different scopes for the battles, one on one duals, party vs party standard RPG battles and huge ass wars. Yeah, even though the Duals and wars were pretty much paper rock scissors, it still had style and, most important of all, enjoyment.

Suikoden II: RPG, PSX. Notice how you can't get it for less than like $70? Yeah, it is still that good, rare and worth it. Much like Suikoden, with the three scopes of battle, the large scale wars have been much improved upon. Then, there is that strategist, you're fearing a battle of 20000 vs 300, he tells you the way it really is, it's like, "no, 20000 is their whole army, including these guys they now assimilated. They have to garrison further back and we can get the new recruits to join us with a rumor. Our first battle will be only 700 vs 500." I read that and laughed while he was explaining the whole thing it was great.

Lunar: SSSC & Eternal Blue: RPG, PSX. Yeah, I probably should have listed Suikoden I & II together too, especially since my list is getting so long. I remember SSSC and thinking wow, other games have music, but this is an actual musical storyline wise. Eternal Blue, I had the sound track for, I listened to the last song on it, wow, that is the love sub plot right there. These games also had all the charm a lot of the 16 bit era RPGs had that was lost on a lot of the PSX, PS2 3d RPGs.

Shining Force 2: SRPG, Genesis/Megadrive. I was really into RPGs, PS2, 4, DW 2-4, FF, when this game first came out. It was like, WOW, I can have 12 characters in battle at once. Crawl forward, steam roll your enemy, use pincer menuvers, whoo hoo. My swordsman turned into a hero and then became a real badass, and look, a ninja with ninja magic. Ninjas kick ass. Then, there was the fighting animations. I remember when I first got the game, I casted a blaze level 2, my brother's friend was looking over my shoulder and he said, "Hey, look at that, he sent him right to hell."

Like Cym said, I could go on all day. Kind of a shame that I've only mentioned RPGs, since there are so many platformers, RTSs, and Fighting games that deserve it, Like Sonic, Warcraft II and III, Soul Calibur II, Tekken III. So often though, it's RPGs that I spend all my time on. As far as multiplayer goes, as I said before, Hack-n-slash is best, but fighting games and beat-em-ups are very VERY enjoyable multiplayer.
PMEmail PosterAOL
ElfHybrid
Posted: Mar 11 2004, 12:40 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 21386

For computer

TheSims Im not sure what genre this is,Im not good with genre's,but I love this game .. Making people and their stories up, manipulating them, designing houses and places, it's great!
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Fantasy strategygame.You build up your cities, strong their defences, build up an army, and heroes, to do certain quests.
This is my favourite strategygame,of this kind.
Might and Magic 7 My favourite this sort of game.. LoL,not good with genre's.. You create a party of four,which are your heroes.You travel the country and do quests,and gain experience, it's really great!
Syberia A click and point adventure game,which is superb!My favourite of these.. it's a great game,I love it!!!!!!

PS/PS2

Tekken 1,2,3,4 I love all these fighting games.
Battle Area Toshinden Same as tekken,only more "fantasy-ish".

Nintendo64

Goemon Ninja-action adventure, quite fun!And addictive smile.gif
Snowboardkids Snowboardgame,with a touch of humour,meant for kids I guess,but I like it.

Nintendo

SuperMario Bros 3 Still love this game!

Maybe I'll remember more later..
PM
GojiColin
Posted: Mar 12 2004, 01:56 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 11126

Lets do this shall we?

Panzer/Pacific/Peoples Genereal(PC): Fuck RTS, TBS is where it is at. This series of games owns anything else out there in sheer depth and ease of play. Panzer is a permanent addition to any computer I get.

Civilization 2(PC): The greatest sim out there, bar none. and the thousands of scenarios that came out for it ensured insane replay value. Oh and destroying your friend's civilization online was great too.

Half Life(PC): The gold standard of FPS games. Single player was a blast, Counter Strike gave it new life, and Natural Selection showed the old dog still has new tricks left in her. Lets see Halo pull that off.

Bonk's Adventure:(TG-16) A guilty pleasure game from a guilty pleasure system. Soo much side scrolling fun, shame the system died in obscurity.

Fire Pro Wrestling Series (Various): My fav wrestling games. Ive spent hours and hours and hours playing this game, not always the prettiest game, but damn well the most in depth.

Suikoden(PS1): The Rpg that made me an addict. 108 characters, levelable weapons, combo attacks, strategic battles (morseo in 2 then 1), yup personal fav.

Smackdown 2(PS1): A game I still play to this day with ym friends. Multiplayer Seasons meant fun for everyone!

Silent Hill 2(PS2): The creepiest game I've ever played. Well at least till I unwrap my copy of Silent Hill 3 smile.gif

[/b]Dynasty Warriors 4(PS2):[/B] Hack, slash, chop, maim. Its you versus all of china...and LU BU! Great game for gratuitious violence and multiplayer mayhem

Others have been covered allready, but those are my die-hard faves.

This post has been edited by GojiColin on Mar 12 2004, 01:57 PM
PMEmail Poster
EdZ
Posted: Mar 12 2004, 02:18 PM
Quote Post

Meat popsicle

Member No.: 22220

Timesplitters (PC) FPS - My favorite multiplayer FPS so far. Several hundered hours have been loggen in, mostly on planet X, my favorite level OF ALL TIME.

Final Fantasy 7 (PSX) RPG - It speaks for itself really. Great storyline, great characters, and great graphics for its time.

Command & Conquer - Tiberian Sun (plus Firestorm expansion pack) (PC) RTS - Ah, the good times, where custom units were easy and fun to create, maps were innovative and partially interactive, and my el-crapo serial link cable was sufficient for link play.

Doom (Ultimate doom and Doom II) (Amiga and later PC & GP32) FPS - the first ever game I played. and funnily the most recent too (i.e. I just played a level before writing this happy.gif ) Simple and fun, but still engrossing, and with so many extra levels, mods (and J-doom to update the graphics if you're a polygon whore) to keep you going for a long time.
PMEmail Poster
biwyankees
Posted: Mar 12 2004, 04:41 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 25365

Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age, RPG, Game Boy Advance: What can I say? Simply a great, one of the best RPGs on a handheld. Oh and Mia's hot. wink.gif

Final Fantasy X, RPG, PS2: Again, an unbelievably obvious choice, but it's true. It's beautiful, it's fun, and it's...beautiful again. Yeah OK.

Heh...exciting it's not, but those are two of 'em. Or...three of 'em. Yeah.

PMEmail PosterAOL
Division
Posted: Mar 12 2004, 04:46 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 25141

In no particular order:

Max Payne: "Outside snow was falling like confetti on the devil's parade..."

Fallout 1/2: Yes, you can call me predictable but there isnít much to it. The best RPG series ever created by man.

Doom: The one that started it all. The ultimate FPS experience.

StarCraft (Brood War): A truly unique RTS game.

This post has been edited by Division on Mar 12 2004, 04:47 PM
PMEmail Poster
Nite_the_necron
Posted: Mar 12 2004, 10:35 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 25369

Golden Sun series--Great story, great gameplay, hours of my life down the drain. happy.gif

All Zelda games--Wow, awesome. Thats my best comment.

Warcraft III & Exp.--Great RTS game, love the editor.

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast & Jedi Acadamy--Good FPS games, saber and Force powers and some good variety to gameplay, especially in Acadamy.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (29) All [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topic