l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Anyone Running Their Rigs On 240v?, (in 120v land that is)
sarkeizen
Posted: Oct 20 2014, 09:40 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 567

I'm having a electrician in to do a bunch of work and while he's there I'm having them put in a 240V outlet. The main reason is I have some rather power-hungry rigs (when I was mining bitcoins I had a machine that sucked over 800W) which are on 24/7. The power efficiency of even the same PSU (like my 1200AX) is somewhat higher when running on 240V.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Lilkat
Posted: Dec 14 2014, 02:24 PM
Quote Post

Local

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 47319

While I do tinker with computers as a small hobby, it's not something in which I go all-out. Nonetheless, I do work in industry, where 230V and 460V (3~) is common.

If you have a particularly sizable load, it is better to use the higher available voltage to not only achieve a better conversion efficiency within the PSU, but also lower current pulled from the wall outlet, which reduces overall heat on the supply side wiring & connections.

Our customers are generally stuck with the available voltage in their facility, but where available, they'll generally choose higher voltage to reduce operating heat.

-Lilkat
PM
sarkeizen
Posted: Dec 15 2014, 10:10 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 567

My rig building has definitely slowed down over the years. So this is more of a "well since you're here" thing. That said my daughter is eight and I'm just starting to teach her to code and some breadboarding. Maybe in a year I'll get her to build a rig with me.

You have to do these things while you're still in the "my dad is cool" category.
PMEmail PosterMSN
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options   Reply to this topicStart new topic