l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (3) All 1 [2] 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> What Are You Currently Reading?, as in fiction or poetry
TDL
Posted: Sep 4 2010, 04:15 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 69880

Currently reading the Chronicles of the Necromancer series by Gail Z Martin...not bad, I'm enjoying that. Also reading a history of the Templars along with Bleach and Naruto...gotta keep my manga fix up.

Cheers
Tom
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Tom8903
Posted: Sep 8 2010, 12:00 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I just found out that there are two more books that go after The Sea Of Trolls. And now no one can pry me from them, except this webcomic.
TDL
Posted: Sep 14 2010, 04:45 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 69880

On to Spain's Road to Empire along with Alistair Reynolds Terminal World along with D Gray Man, some more bleach and Naruto. Couldn't finish the chronicles of the necromancer, the first book was good but the second seemed to drag on a bit and I unfortunately lost interest. Oh well that's life.

Cheers
Tom
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
&ru
Posted: Sep 17 2010, 12:29 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 64248

The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power by Jeff Sharlet.

Non-fiction. Great read and very scary b/c it's true. If you want to know who runs our foreign policy behind the scenes and what their motives are, check this out.

This post has been edited by &ru on Sep 17 2010, 12:47 AM
PMEmail Poster
Rubix41
Posted: Sep 23 2010, 05:26 AM
Quote Post

Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more...

Member No.: 8941

I have just started re-reading some Shakespeare sonnets. (Does anyone still recite these to the opposite sex for a reaction anymore? *_*)
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
&ru
Posted: Sep 24 2010, 10:29 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

QUOTE (Rubix41 @ Sep 23 2010, 05:26 AM)
I have just started re-reading some Shakespeare sonnets. (Does anyone still recite these to the opposite sex for a reaction anymore? *_*)

Probably not. Maybe to English grad students.
PMEmail Poster
Rouxinol
Posted: Sep 25 2010, 01:10 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 35514

QUOTE (Rubix41 @ Sep 23 2010, 05:26 AM)

Only if you open up your own chapter of the Dead Poet's Society and change your name to Nuwanda.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
&ru
Posted: Oct 30 2010, 03:13 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Lies, Incorporated by Philip Dick. Dick is the best sci-fi writer ever, IMO.

Sigh....remember when people used to post here a lot? I mean not a "lot" and not actually here in this thread either, but people used to post stories and critiques pretty regularly at one time.

What happened?
PMEmail Poster
Rouxinol
Posted: Oct 31 2010, 02:09 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 35514

They all went to Locution.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Megaduck
Posted: Oct 31 2010, 02:14 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 37321

QUOTE (&ru @ Oct 30 2010, 03:13 PM)
Lies, Incorporated by Philip Dick.  Dick is the best sci-fi writer ever, IMO.

Sigh....remember when people used to post here a lot?  I mean not a "lot" and not actually here in this thread either, but people used to post stories and critiques pretty regularly at one time.

What happened?

Come and join us &ru over at locution.

Locution

(We've got candy.)

This post has been edited by Megaduck on Oct 31 2010, 03:11 AM
PMEmail PosterMSN
&ru
Posted: Nov 11 2010, 12:33 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

QUOTE (Megaduck @ Oct 31 2010, 02:14 AM)
Come and join us &ru over at locution.

Locution

(We've got candy.)

Yeah, maybe I will.

Finished Lies, Inc. by Philip Dick. The first book I've read of his that was kind of dissapointing. Tons of unresloved plotlines and either two characters have the exact same name but total different storylines or I missed something major.

Apparently it was originally a novellette called "The Unteleported Man" which was re-edited after his death using stuff he wrote as a part 2 to the original story, but never published. And I can see why. It just doesn't make sense as it is. Some publisher wanted to make a quick buck with a "new" Philip Dick novel even though he's been dead since 1980. Oh well. The rest I've read are great.
PMEmail Poster
Xavon
Posted: Nov 14 2010, 11:23 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 69089

I read Side Jobs (the collection of all but one of the Harry Dresden short stories and novellas) yesterday.

Next on my plate is Naked Heat.
PMEmail Poster
&ru
Posted: Nov 17 2010, 01:56 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

QUOTE (Xavon @ Nov 14 2010, 11:23 AM)
I read Side Jobs (the collection of all but one of the Harry Dresden short stories and novellas) yesterday.

Next on my plate is Naked Heat.

What genre of books is that?

The names make me thing of crime. If you like the fiction crime genre, check out books by George V. Higgins. He' a former prosecutor from Boston and he has the culture, accents, and organized crime culture down perfect. His dialog is so good, I think he could write a whole book with nothing but dialog and it would work.

Although he worked on the law enforcement side of things for a while before he stared to write full time(among other things he was a deputy United States Attorney and a U.S. Attorney for Massachusetts , most of his books are written from the point of view of the criminals. Many of whom are in the Boston Irish Mob.

But he was also a defense attorney for years representing figures from the far left like Black Panther Eldredge Cleaver and the far right like Nixon White House "plumber", G. Gordon Liddy.

He also was a jouralist for man prestigious papers like the Wall Street Journal, in addition to being a law profession at Boston University & Boston College.

In other words, he knows organized crime, violent crime, and while collar crime from prosecuting it, defefending it, and investigating it, and it really shows in his books which flow incredibly smoothly. Even if you know nothing about Boston, Southies, Massachusetts politics, the Irish Mob, etc., it doesn't matter b/c although Higgins won't hold you hand and explain everything, his stories are an education on those subjects, even though you won't notice it until you're done. He writes really great characters. Most of them are scumbags, but you root for a lot of then anyway.

And a lot of the "good guys" like the cops, DA's, and defense attorneys, don't come off much better than the crminals. They're just better educated (though not always smater) and know how to work the system while staying just on the right side of the law

I can't really say he's underrated since he's very highly rated in his genre and considered to be the best by other writers in the genre like Elmost Lenord and others, you may not have heard of him if you don't read crime books, though he has been recognized by mainstream writers like Normal Mailer who said of Higgins book,"What I can't get over is that so good first novel was written by the fuzz."

For new readers to start out with, I'd reccommend:
The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1972);
The Digger's Game (1973);
Cogan's Trade (1974);
Kennedy for the Defense, (1980)
The Patriot Game (1982);
Defending Billy Ryan, (1992)
Bomber's Law, (1993)

I'm not saying these are the best, but they're all ones I've read and really enjoyed.

Writers might want to check out the non-fiction, self-explanatory book book: On Writing, 1990. I haven't read it, but Higgins is a very good writer and his ear for dialog is second to none. It's probably worth getting for that alone, if you'd like to make your dialog sound better and learn to pick up on accents and speech patterns of people around you and be able to translate them in written language.

This post has been edited by &ru on Nov 17 2010, 02:13 AM
PMEmail Poster
soopergrape
Posted: Nov 19 2010, 10:32 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 71815

Just finished A Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England (A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century) by Ian Mortimer. It's said to be like Monty Python and the Holy Grail with footnotes, yes it is -with about 19 pages worth. Very dense reading that will set a lot of things straight: A seven year old could be hanged for theft.

I also loved Snow Crash and The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady’s Illustrated Primer. Rat Things and Mouse Queens!

Oh yes, my all time favorite is probably Enders Game, but I really like it better in the audio format.
I think I'll pull it up now in fact. (I just re-read Megatokyo-still a little fuzzy on some things, but time will tell I'm sure.)

This post has been edited by soopergrape on Nov 19 2010, 10:59 PM
PMEmail Poster
Xavon
Posted: Apr 2 2011, 01:33 PM
Quote Post

Addict

QUOTE (&ru @ Nov 17 2010, 01:56 AM)
What genre of books is that?

It's a murder mystery, which is not normally my bag. But it is also the second book of Richard Castle's Nikki Heat series.

(for those who don't know, Richard Castle is the fictional main character of ABC's cop-dramedy Castle, played by Nathan 'Captain Malcolm Reynolds' Fillion.)

I just finished archive binges of Mahao Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha - VIVID and Nagasarete Airantou. And I realized I am well behind on my normal manga series...

And I'm considering re-reading A Growing Affection, to get a few more tweaks in before I start reposting it to get the latest, greatest version out there. Though I'm not sure if that counts.

This post has been edited by Xavon on Apr 2 2011, 01:34 PM
PMEmail Poster
ThatCrazyArtistKid
Posted: May 13 2012, 06:59 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 76069

I'm reading the fourth book in the Percy Jackson series. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
Meina
Posted: May 19 2012, 04:25 PM
Quote Post

ಥ‿ಥ

Member No.: 21785

Page 523 of the windup bird chronicles.
PMEmail Poster
Xavon
Posted: May 28 2012, 12:26 AM
Quote Post

Addict

The Serpent's Shadow, the last book in the Kane Chronicles.
PMEmail Poster
BananaBuddy
Posted: Sep 2 2012, 06:16 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 76752

Pluto, by Urasawa Naoki.

It's interesting, how Urasawa interpreted Tezuka's world.

It's also very inspiring.
PMEmail Poster
DudePerson
Posted: Oct 28 2012, 11:02 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 76883

The Complete Handbook of Novel Writing. It's actually a pretty good read. It's got a boatload of different authors that collaborated to make it, one author writing one chapter, etc.
PMEmail Poster
RedRage
Posted: Oct 28 2012, 11:21 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 76888

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Book two of Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. If you haven't read these, you have missed out on life, the universe, and everything.

42 emot-downs.gif

(This place seems a little dead...I'm kinda sad... I was really looking forward to... meeting... lots of writers...) mellow.gif
PMEmail Poster
Fujioyoshi
Posted: Jan 3 2014, 03:14 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 77880

I need to read some real good books. I hope to take out some time to read this year. Happy New Year everyone!
sarkeizen
Posted: Jul 31 2014, 07:55 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 567

Bored...

Just finished reading Veronica Roth's trilogy. Divergent, Insurgent, Alligent...

One word review: Shitty.

Slightly longer review: If Stephanie Meyer had not written Twilight then I'm sure people would be making more fun of this series. Want a good test as to why this sucks so deeply? 1) Pick a character. 2) Now pick a decision they made in some situation. 3) Explain why they made that decision - solely through the text of the book. 4) Find a previous portion of any of the books which justifies this process. 5) Show that this is a general trend - that is, this justification isn't contradicted.

The point is. Her characters make decisions based on where she wants the plot to go. Not because she has provided her characters with experiences which drive them to make these decisions.

Pacing. It took me a while to figure this out but her books proceed at a pretty uniform pace. There's rarely a time jump. Even when she switches points of view, a technique often used to retell a situation from a different POV it continues from the point in time that the last POV left at. Why is this shitty? Because everything happens at pretty close the same rate. Which makes important events happen too fast and mundane events happen too slowly. This even happens inter-book. The second book picks up pretty much the day after the first.

Intelligence. "Write what you know" is shouted at budding writers to both good and bad effect. What I tell people who write is: "Can you write this character in a way that seems genuine enough to resonate with readers who *are* this kind of person". Stephanie Meyer may be the shittiest shitty writer of shitty shit but it's hard to argue that her work doesn't resonate with a large group of adolescent girls (and those who remember being adolescent girls). So my peeve here is that there's a whole group of people in this book who are supposed to be born and bred for intelligence. None of them come off as very bright. This is the problem in writing about someone who is very, very smart. It can't be faked. If you want to have a hero fighting a criminal mastermind then your foe should be able to anticipate any of the obvious paths to thwarting them.

Technology. Again this seems to be driven by the plot. Technology appears because it needs to be there to chauffeur the characters from scene to scene. Little of it makes any sense but that's a minor criticism since a lot of SF tech doesn't.

Sexuality. I get that this is a YA book and the author is religious but just crowding the room with people all the time in order to avoid writing a sex scene is just lazy.

If I had read the series backwards I might have seen that at the end of the third book she credits "Animorphs" as a literary inspiration. Which might have been an enormous red flag.

This post has been edited by sarkeizen on Jul 31 2014, 07:56 PM
PMEmail PosterMSN
Xelfixtheimmortal
Posted: Sep 11 2014, 09:02 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Mafiosi
Member No.: 78120

Just read the entire Bakuman series and found it extremely good. First off, the premise of a manga about manga artists is brilliant and simple at the same time. The creators were able to draw off there own experiences for inspiration, not to mention that they already had tons of manga that they could have the characters use for inspiration, as they had the permission of shonen jump to use the titles of series that had been serialized. The story itself was very uplifting and heartwarming, complemented well by a simple ending. All in all, an amazing story.

Now I'm reading pathfinder by orson scott card(author of enders game). I'll let you know how it is.
TheVampireNate
Posted: Jun 12 2015, 11:45 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 13229

The Question of the Missing Head. It's an "Asperger's Mystery" that draws heavy influence from the modern interpretation of Sherlock Holmes. The main character is a surprisingly accurate portrayal of someone with Asperger's and it doesn't distract too much from the actual story, which in and of itself is a fast paced read.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) All 1 [2] 3  Reply to this topicStart new topic