l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (4) [All] 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> The Creative Writing Forum Challenge Thread, The pen is mightier than the sword
DJROC
Posted: Jun 3 2007, 07:09 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 40773

Alright, after trial by fire, we've got some revised guidelines for the CW Challenges. For any newcomers, the CW Challenges are personal writing competitions between forumites. The goal here is to push ourselves to write more often, and friendly competition is a fun way to hold it all together.

These are independent of the Monthly Contests. No points are given, no official winners are declared, and you don't get any prizes for winning.

How to start

Challengers: Got an idea for a great short story? Are you curious about how another forumite would write something similar? Throw down the gauntlet and issue a Personal Duel! In Personal Duels, the issuer challenges a specific forumite by name, and provides a short summary of their idea. This should include what specific elements you want the story to include, along with a word count minimum and maximum. Your "opponent" has a default period of one week to accept or refuse the challenge starting at the time you post.

Your challenge should include the following information-

Personal Duel issued to (other person's name)
Challenge: (A short description of your challenge. This could include specifics on style, themes, characters, or just about anything else you wanted to work on. No more than two specifications at a time please!)
Word Count: (Set your minimum/maximum word counter here. Try and keep it reasonable.)

Accepters: Some little upstart dared to challenge you? Well on guard! Review the terms of the challenge and see if it's something you're up for. If it is, great! Go ahead and accept. As the accepter of a challenge, you are entitled to choose the competition Arbiter. An Arbiter is an impartial overseer of your challenge. Arbiters are active members of the CW board and volunteer to do this. A list of arbiters can be found at the bottom of the Wikipage.

Arbiters: What's this? A spat is brewing between members? It's your job to keep it fair and civilized! As Arbiter you are in charge of setting a due date for the entries. Two weeks after the challenge is accepted is the usual amount time, but if the duelists get their entries in before then, go ahead and post them! You also need to make sure that you have space in your inbox to receive the competition entries.

Be sure to confirm if you're able to be an Arbiter for the duel and, if so, what the due date will be. If not, let the challenge accepter know so they can ask for another one.

During the Writing Period

Duelists: Get writing! Check what due date your Arbiter set and do your best to get your piece finished by then. Due dates include a date and time, usually in GMT but sometimes not, so make sure you check your clock! When you're done, PM your submission to your Arbiter.

Arbiters: Make sure you can respond to PMs if your duelists have any problems or questions.

The Showdown

Arbiters: After receiving both entries, it's your job to make a challenge thread. The thread title should include the names of the duelists and a very short description of what the competition was about. (There are no F-Levels for challenge threads.) In the thread, challenger entries get posted first, with accepter entries following. Double posting has been permitted for these purposes.

Duelists: Check out what the other person wrote! That's half the point of the exercise. You are also required to post a comment/critique on their work. Some people prefer to wait until non-participants offer a critique, but if it's been a week without a response, you should go ahead and post.

Question Section

What if the person I challenged doesn't accept?
If the person you challenged doesn't accept, you can change the duel from a Personal Duel to an Open Duel. First person to accept is the person you'll be squaring off against.

Do I have to issue a challenge as a Personal Duel first?
Not at all! If you don't have a specific person in mind for your challenge, you can go ahead and issue an Open Duel right from the get-go. Just change the line where you would normally put the specific person's name to read "Open Duel".

What if my idea's too cool to be restricted to just two people?
Then you may issue the challenge as an Open Group Duel. That way any number of people can accept your challenge. All the steps are pretty much the same, but the acceptance period extends for the full week to allow as many people to join. The first person to accept will designate an Arbiter, but should wait until the acceptance period is over before doing so.
(This allows potential Arbiters the opportunity to jump in on the fun if they want to.)

I'm not sure what kind of challenge to issue. What are some of the one's people have already done?
Glad you asked! The wiki also has a convenient list of completed challenges.

Oh no! I forgot something important regarding my duel and I'm too lazy to look through the challenge thread! What ever shall I do?
Fear not. The slightly-less-lazy try and compile all relevant information for current challenges on the wiki's challenge record page.

What if I can't make the deadline?
Send your Arbiter a PM and ask them if you can get the deadline extended. They'll clear it with your opponent(s).

I missed the deadline! What happens now?
You'll get strung up on the wiki's wall of shame, the challenge will be considered incomplete, and your opponent's entry will be posted without you.

Can I challenge someone to a poetry duel instead of a short story duel?
You sure can! Try and make sure they're a "known poet" on the board if you're issuing a Personal Duel. Otherwise it's recommended that you issue poetry challenges as Open Duels.

More details can be found on the CW Challenges main wikipage, including tips, guidelines, and a point-by-point outline of what to do.

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Aarin
Posted: Jun 3 2007, 08:37 PM
Quote Post

RAWR!

Group: Mafiosi
Member No.: 52237

Yeah! Looks tight! Really like the voice too.

We'll see about getting the lovely Tonic to sticky-swap these.

Great job, and thanks~!

Open Duel!
Subject: Action scene
Write a fight scene...with action!
Word min: 500 (no max)

Action isn't something I see a lot of here, but it's something I practice at. Think you can do better? Keeping the characters as more than action figures is always the fun part. I don't have anything in mind for mine yet, not even a genre (though I'm leaning towards western!).

This post has been edited by Aarin on Jun 3 2007, 09:34 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Amu
Posted: Jun 4 2007, 02:41 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 31011

Action fighting scene? Freak yeah!
I'll accept.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Aarin
Posted: Jun 4 2007, 01:34 PM
Quote Post

RAWR!

QUOTE (Amu @ Jun 4 2007, 02:41 AM)
Action fighting scene? Freak yeah!
I'll accept.

Awesome! A rematch smile.gif

[live tutorial]

Now you pick an arbiter, and we get 2 weeks to write our thrilling scenes!

[/tutorial]
sky1
Posted: Jun 4 2007, 03:38 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 16621

Mind making this an open group duel? Can't promise I'll have something, but I don't mind living on the wall of shame.
PMEmail Poster
Aarin
Posted: Jun 4 2007, 07:22 PM
Quote Post

RAWR!

QUOTE (sky1 @ Jun 4 2007, 03:38 PM)
Mind making this an open group duel?  Can't promise I'll have something, but I don't mind living on the wall of shame.

Actually, why not?

OPEN GROUP DUEL!

It'll be fun.

Everyone in the pool. It's a fight off!

I guess we have until Sunday for sign-ups.

This post has been edited by Aarin on Jun 4 2007, 08:24 PM
Marrowmeld
Posted: Jun 4 2007, 07:50 PM
Quote Post

Philosopher Koala

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 14390

Sha-weet. Open group duel. Count me in. It's likely enough that I'll have time to participate, but even if I end up missing out... I think I can handle the Wall of Shame. So who's gonna be the arbiter?
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
DJROC
Posted: Jun 4 2007, 09:24 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

QUOTE (DJROC @ Jun 4 2007, 02:09 AM)
What if my idea's too cool to be restricted to just two people?
Then you may issue the challenge as an Open Group Duel. That way any number of people can accept your challenge. All the steps are pretty much the same, but the acceptance period extends for the full week to allow as many people to join. The first person to accept will designate an Arbiter, but should wait until the acceptance period is over before doing so.
(This allows potential Arbiters the opportunity to jump in on the fun if they want to.)

Duelists will have until the evening-morning of June 10-11th to join. An arbiter will be designated by Amu after the acceptance period from remaining arbiters on the list. If, by some random chance, all of our Arbiters join (or are too busy), we'll just have to ask for a new volunteer to step forward to arbitrate.

I think I'll join in on this one too. happy.gif
PMEmail Poster
DJROC
Posted: Jun 11 2007, 09:50 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Alright Amu, challenge period is over and you're up. cool.gif

Available Arbiters:
Aarin (Participating)
Amu (Participating)
Cnayur
Crosis
DJROC (Participating)
DNA.Styx
Last of Fallen (Participating in the sleepless challenge)
MissedTarget (Arbitrating for LoF and Yo_Jimbo!)
PMEmail Poster
Amu
Posted: Jun 11 2007, 11:37 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 31011

Hmmmm. I haven't heard from Cnayur and Crosis for a while.
So DNA, you want the job?
PMEmail PosterMSN
DNA.Styx
Posted: Jun 14 2007, 04:31 PM
Quote Post

KOTOKO says, "Ohayou~"

Member No.: 53474

Done. I really will give out lashings if anyone's late this time.
Aarin
Posted: Jun 14 2007, 04:38 PM
Quote Post

RAWR!

Already working on mine. It'll be a lot of fun!
DJROC
Posted: Jun 14 2007, 04:42 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

QUOTE (DNA.Styx @ Jun 14 2007, 11:31 PM)
Done. I really will give out lashings if anyone's late this time.

I'm assuming we have until the 25th at some specified time?
PMEmail Poster
Marrowmeld
Posted: Jun 14 2007, 08:47 PM
Quote Post

Philosopher Koala

Member No.: 14390

QUOTE (DJROC @ Jun 14 2007, 05:42 PM)
I'm assuming we have until the 25th at some specified time?

I'm working under the same assumption. Verification?

By the way, I'm finding this to actually be really hard. I think I've had about 4 or 5 different story ideas by now, each one being "the story." Hooray! happy.gif
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
DNA.Styx
Posted: Jun 14 2007, 09:45 PM
Quote Post

KOTOKO says, "Ohayou~"

Member No.: 53474

25th of June, 9:00 PM Pacific Time. (That's 8 hours ahead of GMT, by the way.)
The Humble Grasshopper
Posted: Jul 4 2007, 10:25 AM
Quote Post

KOTOKO says, "Ohayou~"

Member No.: 49114

I've always been relatively interested in the good ol' contests, but until very recently, I haven't had the time for them and subsequently ran away screaming. Now that I have the time, I'd like to let ya'll know that I would, if asked of me, happily arbitrate something for ya in the future.
PMEmail Poster
Aarin
Posted: Jul 7 2007, 02:54 PM
Quote Post

RAWR!

I don't see why not, THG, you'd be perfect.

I guess I'll validate your volunteer~nomination and ask for a second yay to inagurate you as an Arby. If there's a nay, we'll talk it out.

PS - Everyone, I apologize for my non-crit/delay of the fight challenge. I'll post it sunday or monday, as I've had a laundry list of issues keeping me from doing anything but basic online stufs (like 3 posts a day).
DJROC
Posted: Jul 7 2007, 04:32 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Via supreme executive power (read: I edited the wiki page) THG has been added to the list of official Arbiters.

Shiny. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
Cnayur
Posted: Jul 23 2007, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 48598

QUOTE (Amu @ Jun 11 2007, 11:37 PM)
Hmmmm. I haven't heard from Cnayur and Crosis for a while.

True, and apologies. I have been uber-busy. I've checked the wiki just now and at least it looks like I didn't miss any invitation to be arbiter. Phew.

I should be around regularly again from now on. Good luck for everybody in their ongoing challenges.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQAOLYahooMSN
Teh_Az
Posted: Aug 27 2007, 08:00 AM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 55157

Any body up for a Kamen rider type challenge? I just wanted to see how the writers here could go with the tonkatsu genre.
PMEmail Poster
Cnayur
Posted: Oct 6 2007, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 48598

QUOTE (Teh_Az @ Aug 27 2007, 08:00 AM)
Any body up for a Kamen rider type challenge? I just wanted to see how the writers here could go with the tonkatsu genre.

If you're serious about having this challenge, you might want to set it up proper.

By that I mean that you should define the terms of your challenge. Is it to be a Duel, an Open Duel or an Open Group, for example?

Also you might want to elaborate on the rules. Maybe define the tokatsu genre. Not everybody necessarily knows what tokatsu is. I wouldn't know without looking it up.

If you do all that you're far more likely to get a response.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQAOLYahooMSN
fullmetalbunny99
  Posted: Feb 23 2008, 12:33 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 63311

This is off the topic, I know, but I'm desperate. Does anyone have any idea why I "don't have permission to start a new topic"? I'm a member, with a password and everythin', so what the heck? I checked the help screen, but I didn't find what I needed.

If anyone thinks they might know, go ahead and e-mail me. Thanx.
PMEmail Poster
Roisin-chan
Posted: Feb 29 2008, 06:43 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 63220

Does anyone have any idea why I "don't have permission to start a new topic"? I'm a member, with a password and everythin', so what the heck? I checked the help screen, but I didn't find what I needed.

Hey fullmetal i have the same problem right now... we need to post at least 10 posts so we can add a topic.....

I hope that helps... just find something to post on til you've hit 10 and you'll be okay... on another note, I can't wait til I can start a posting because I want to open a new duel but I have to wait...... mrrrh
PMEmail Poster
DJROC
Posted: Feb 29 2008, 07:26 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

I can't wait til I can start a posting because I want to open a new duel but I have to wait...... mrrrh

Duels should be issued and accepted in this thread. The Duel Arbiter will organize the creation of a thread when the deadline has been reached.

Challenge away.

This post has been edited by DJROC on Feb 29 2008, 07:27 PM
PMEmail Poster
Kenogeth321
Posted: Mar 26 2008, 01:00 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 63767

what does it mean to PM? It says to PM your story to the Arbiter once your done.
PMEmail Poster
DJROC
Posted: Mar 26 2008, 01:53 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

QUOTE (Kenogeth321)
what does it mean to PM? It says to PM your story to the Arbiter once your done.

Private Message.

It's direct contact (an inter-forum e-mail system) rather than public posting.

This post has been edited by DJROC on Mar 26 2008, 01:54 PM
PMEmail Poster
&ru
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 06:52 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 64248

This seems like a sad little neglected thread. Stickied, but alone, like the rich kid at school who's embarrased about being rich and eats lunch all by himself and gets his mom to drop him off 3 blocks away from school so the kids won't see she drives some grotesquely expensive automobile built by the same engineers who build the space shuttle, but of course all the kids know anyway and whisper questions wondering just how wealthy Mr. Richey McRichypants is, and sometimes they don't even bother to stop talking when then see him walking by and they know, they know (and he knows they know), that he can hear them.

That's what this thread is like, isn't it?

I have insomnia sometimes and do not sleep at all for all night. Last night was one of those nights. So I end up making silly posts in dead threads.

OK, but now that I'm here, how about making use of this thread? Would someone care to make a challenge to some other one here? Hmmm?

If not, I will be forced to do so myself. And I don't think any of you COCKY MOTHERFUCKERS wants to test your mettle against me.

Yeah, that's right. I'm looking at you Irony Brew. Irony Brew! What does that even mean? You know the kind of people who pick user names like Irony Brew? The kind of people I LIKE TO KICK THE ASSES OF...I mean, OF WHICH I LIKE THE ASSES OF TO BE KICKED! (by me).

And how about our MIA mods? Since you can't even do the simple jobs you've been given by actually posting here once a millenium, hows about trying some actual writing, eh? This is a writing board, is it not? But don't challange me, BECAUSE YOU WILL LOSE MOTHERFUCKERS, HAHAHAHAHA!!! THEY WILL PROBABLY TAKE AWAY YOUR MODSHIP BECAUSE THAT IS JUST HOW BAD YOU WILL LOSE SO THAT EVEN THOUGH THOSE THINGS ARENT RELATED YOU WOULD STILL BE DE-MODDED BECAUSE NO ONE WOULD EVEN WANT TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH YOU. PROBABALY NOT EVEN YOUR MOM. I BANGED HER IN A TACO BELL HANDICAPPED TOILET ONCE BTW. I JIZZED IN YOUR SOUR CREAM, LOL!!!!!!

Oh yeah, and don't think I've forgotten about you, Duck boy. "Mega" indeed! Hah! The only "mega" thing about you will be the circumference of your asshole once I'm done REAMING YOU OUT!! (metaphorically, in a literary sense).

Oh, and the rest of you fuckers, don't think I've forgotten about you just b/c I don't remember your names or anything about you. I KNOW motherfuckers. I. k n o w .

Peace out.

This post has been edited by &ru on Apr 30 2009, 07:05 AM
PMEmail Poster
&ru
Posted: May 2 2009, 10:54 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

OK, you guys are pussies. So I hereby challenge: Megaduck, Irony Brew, missedtarget, Silk, and Umino to a literary duel. You have one week from today to accept and a month from then to finish. Final draft posting only, though you can edit it for as long as the board will still let you (no cheating w/special mod powers smile.gif ).

A story b/t 500-1000 words (a little under or over is ok tho). The topic: betrayal.

The only other rule is that you have to critique everyone else's story (doesn't have to be really long, but not just a couple of sentences either), and rate the stories (other than your own). People who don't participate can rate (and critique, tho they don't have to) the stories as well. Rating will be on an X point scale. X=the amount of people in the contest. Highest avg score wins.

I picked out people who have actually posted material here lately and who I know can write decently. If I didn't mention you it's probably b/c you haven't posted here lately or I just forgot, so if you want in, PM me.

This post has been edited by &ru on May 2 2009, 10:55 PM
PMEmail Poster
missedtarget
Posted: May 2 2009, 11:53 PM
Quote Post

The Baron

Member No.: 48577

Accepted.

Bitch.
PMEmail PosterAOL
&ru
Posted: May 3 2009, 03:46 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

QUOTE (missedtarget @ May 2 2009, 11:53 PM)
Accepted.

Bitch.

Bitch? Bitch! Oh, it's on motherfucker. IT. IS. ON. cool.gif

Edit: qugopudding asked to join the contest, so he's in too. Anyone else, just PM me. The more the merrier.

This post has been edited by &ru on May 3 2009, 03:49 AM
PMEmail Poster
&ru
Posted: May 10 2009, 04:31 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

OK, time's up. I'll wait till the end of the day for any latecomers, but other than that it's closed.

For the 2 with balls who accepted, you have a month. Dazzle me. smile.gif

This post has been edited by &ru on May 10 2009, 04:32 AM
PMEmail Poster
&ru
Posted: May 10 2009, 10:16 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

We have one more entrant, T3h Br0th3r.

It's an hour to midnight here in the U.S. Central Daylight Savings Timezone, so if anyone else is interested, you've got 60 minutes to reply.
PMEmail Poster
T3h Br0th3r
Posted: May 11 2009, 12:03 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 58182

BRING EM OUT, BRING EM OUT!

but for real though, good luck everyone.
PMEmail PosterAOL
wenewe32
Posted: Mar 16 2010, 01:25 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 69045

There is also a smile once in my life, but eventually dissipated as Wuban, but that smile, became buried deep in my mind a rushing river, not crossing the river and that voice has become my daily night singing of despair.
PMEmail Poster
Terresa Yen
Posted: Jul 31 2010, 05:09 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 70339

Hi,
Great job! These tips are just amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Terresa (topqualityessays.com)
PMEmail Poster
Cyrialis
Posted: Jun 23 2011, 02:24 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 73771

So ,I alway wanted to try a challenge and I have nothing to do also why not happy.gif
also this ideas is just floating around me for a couple of months now and I just want to see what others would do with this kind of concept.

So here is my Writing Challenge:
The Duel:

Itīs a Open Duel

The challengeīs Theme will be :

soul collecting for the Devil, everything else shall be at your imagination......

Word Count:

100-1000 could be a reasonable shape.

One Week to accept
Four Weeks to write

This post has been edited by Cyrialis on Jun 23 2011, 02:28 PM
PMEmail Poster
Xelfixtheimmortal
Posted: May 2 2014, 09:04 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 78120

Okay I'm sort of a noob to this, so if I get something wrong please don't eat me.tongue.gif

Open Group Challenge
Challenge: Poetry. Any poetry. Doesn't have to have any form or structure, only restriction is the word count.
Word count:At least 500 words. Bear with me people, I don't want to write that much either.
Have fun!

This post has been edited by Xelfixtheimmortal on May 2 2014, 09:05 AM
Alexanzer
Posted: May 10 2014, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 78060

I'll bite, I would love to see an active writing forum on Megatokyo. Looking through the older posts makes it look like a lot of fun. I also definitely need to refresh my writing skills...

Oh, and you should probably set a date when contestants won't be accepted anymore. Or make it a continuous challenge that never ends. Anything like that should be addressed sooner rather than later.

This post has been edited by Alexanzer on May 10 2014, 01:01 PM
PMEmail Poster
Xelfixtheimmortal
Posted: May 16 2014, 08:56 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Continuous challenge it is. Who's the arbiter?
Alexanzer
Posted: May 17 2014, 03:13 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

I have no idea, I'll ask around the mafia crowd if one of the old arbiters would be willing to put up with some newbies throwing poetical stones at each other.

Now that I am thinking about it, a continuous challenge is very unfair to the arbiter, I doubt anyone would accept that position. You may want to consider a 2 week deadline or something similar. It would be easier to find someone then.

This post has been edited by Alexanzer on May 17 2014, 03:23 PM
PMEmail Poster
Xelfixtheimmortal
Posted: May 21 2014, 08:55 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Alright. If no one else responds by this friday (5/23/14) then it's just you and me. This has been up long enough for people who want to to see.
Alexanzer
Posted: May 22 2014, 01:01 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Sounds good, no reply from the person I was going to have judge, but finals are almost over so I will have more time soon to beg and plead somebody else, hypothetically.
PMEmail Poster
Alexanzer
Posted: May 26 2014, 09:45 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Alright, still no response from the lead. I'm considering it might be better for the forum for us to just create a thread and post our finished poems there. Better for the forum I mean, it could use some more life. I'm still looking for more options on arbiters though too. Figured I should give an update.
PMEmail Poster
Sky_Paladin
Posted: May 27 2014, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

Reliable and trustworthy~

Member No.: 50545

I volunteer myself as arbiter.

How may I help?
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IM
Alexanzer
Posted: May 28 2014, 11:37 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

I'm pretty sure this means we can set a due date for the 500+ word poem (Maybe Friday or Saturday?) and then you arbitrate. I'm guessing that means judge, but honestly I haven't read what they meant by that in a while. Also, you make sure they are both over 500 words, y'know. Xelfix, you ready to go then?
PMEmail Poster
Xelfixtheimmortal
Posted: May 29 2014, 09:10 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Alright, the due date is June 10th, if there are no objections. Also, your poem is not limited byrhyme scheme or any other sort of structure, so have fun with that. Thanks for answering!
Alexanzer
Posted: May 29 2014, 07:29 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Agreed, may the writing block begin in earnest.
PMEmail Poster
Xelfixtheimmortal
Posted: Jun 4 2014, 09:10 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Okay, I've got mine done and I'll PM it to Sky_Paladin once I've stopped being too lazy to get it typed.
Alexanzer
Posted: Jun 6 2014, 02:32 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Sorry I've been absent, I have mine 50% done (and typed). I will send mine in to Sky today or tomorrow.
PMEmail Poster
Xelfixtheimmortal
Posted: Jun 6 2014, 06:59 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Still haven't started typing...
Alexanzer
Posted: Jun 8 2014, 06:17 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Submitting mine now, finally finished it. The writer's block was strong with this one... I'll probably revisit it with a big fat eraser later to fix up the form and word choice, but it is complete for now.
PMEmail Poster
Sky_Paladin
Posted: Jun 9 2014, 03:52 PM
Quote Post

Two entries have been received! The deadline was June 10, so I'll keep them private in case any member wishes to make changes to their submission (or a shock new challenger appears), for the remaining 20 or so hours.
Alexanzer
Posted: Jun 9 2014, 03:53 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Oh, Sky... About the duties of the arbiter -> There is a link in the OP for this thread that has all the info you would want.
PMEmail Poster
Xelfixtheimmortal
Posted: Jun 10 2014, 09:38 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

QUOTE (Sky_Paladin @ Jun 9 2014, 03:52 PM)
Two entries have been received! The deadline was June 10, so I'll keep them private in case any member wishes to make changes to their submission (or a shock new challenger appears), for the remaining 20 or so hours.

Thank you for... arbitering? Whatever. It was great of you to volunteer.
Sky_Paladin
Posted: Jun 13 2014, 05:32 PM
Quote Post

I'm sorry, I went to hospital on my day off and my people poking me for a couple of hours. I'll go back in a few weeks for what is hopefully the second and final round.

OK let's get this done!
Alexanzer
Posted: Jun 20 2014, 02:41 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Alright, I've been apathetic and lazy long enough. Time to start up the next challenge. I'll make this a short one, and hopefully do another afterwards.

Open Group Challenge #2

This challenge will be to craft an acrostic.

For instance:

Random Splatters
Aimless Wander
Instant Wetness
Now Engulfs

Spells out "RAIN" with the first letter, and has a related poem attached.

Accept the Challenge Date: 6/28/2014
Turn in the Acrostic Date: 7/4/2014

Word Count Limitations: Must be between 5 and 40 words long.

Be efficient, only use words that matter. Topic is free to be chosen by the writer.
PMEmail Poster
Alexanzer
Posted: Jun 28 2014, 11:10 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Ok, the last challenge was a failure at generating interest. I still intend to write the acrostic and I invite anyone else who has some spare time to do the same. No arbiters, I'll just make a thread when it is complete.

The new challenge is to write a short description of a child's summer day (or adventure in one day). The theme I am aiming for is more fantastical and imaginative than an actual summer day would be, but if you feel otherwise inclined, then feel free.

Until more people show up, I think I will leave these as open challenges. Anyone is allowed to join.

Word Limit: Over 500 Words (I am aiming for 1000-1500)

Style: Prose

Genre: Fiction

This post has been edited by Alexanzer on Jun 28 2014, 06:20 PM
PMEmail Poster
S1arburst
Posted: Jun 29 2014, 02:41 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 78100

Sounds interesting. Could I just write a description of an actual day from memory? I don't know any children currently, so anything I made up would be really unconvincing.
PMEmail Poster
Alexanzer
Posted: Jun 29 2014, 08:40 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

You would have to adjust it to be a fiction. But mirroring or using an actual day as a base isn't outside the rules. Glad to see some interest in this one.
PMEmail Poster
S1arburst
Posted: Jun 30 2014, 11:17 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Eh, even if it really sucks, I should be able to write 500 words. It might take a while though. A few more questions.

1.When you said you wanted a "more fantastical and imaginative" day, what are you aiming for? Do you want unicorns walking through the story?

2.Where should I post the story once complete? Just start a new thread in the creative writing forum here?

3. Would you like to throw out a general upper word limit? If an idea really grabs me hard, it's always possible I might write a novel if not restrained tongue.gif (unlikely though)
PMEmail Poster
Alexanzer
Posted: Jun 30 2014, 01:59 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

1. Just not a normal day, cereal, video games, and back to sleep. Make it more exciting, have something of import occur. It's fiction, so go a little crazy. (Honestly, I am not a unicorn fan, so...)

2. Since this challenge has a competitor, I will ask around and get an arbiter. You will pm him the results of your effort.

3. I'm not one to curb creativity, but lets out an upper limit at three thousand. No need to get too out of line here wink.gif
PMEmail Poster
S1arburst
Posted: Jul 5 2014, 01:31 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Okay, I'm done :) I tossed four or five ideas before I got one that would work.
PMEmail Poster
Alexanzer
Posted: Jul 5 2014, 03:47 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Okay, I'll have mine done by tomorrow night. It is probably unnecessary to go through the standard formalities as long as it's just the two people and I didn't formally challenge you specifically. If it's alright, I will just make a thread with my submission, and then you will post yours in response?

I'm open to better/different ideas, it just doesn't seem worth it to track down someone to do it for us.
PMEmail Poster
S1arburst
Posted: Jul 6 2014, 11:54 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Sure, sounds fine! I think this is the first time I've written anything with dialog, so I'll probably spend a little more time checking it before actually posting. If I'm working, I may not see your post right away, but I'll post mine within a day or two.
PMEmail Poster
Alexanzer
Posted: Jul 7 2014, 12:54 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Well, I was gonna have it done last night... Then my temporary crown fell out during lunch... dry.gif I'm finishing it up now. Probably post it in a few hours. (I also need to check it for errors.)
PMEmail Poster
S1arburst
Posted: Jul 7 2014, 02:10 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Ouch! Sorry to hear that :/
PMEmail Poster
S1arburst
Posted: Jul 20 2014, 09:27 PM
Quote Post

Addict

*pokes Alexanzer*
PMEmail Poster
Ningen
Posted: Aug 11 2014, 12:41 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 55780

A bit late, but I have an acrostic - where are replies to be posted?
PMEmail Poster
Alexanzer
Posted: Sep 6 2014, 09:54 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Well, explanations and apologies aside, I will be posting the threads for both the short stories and the acrostics today, expect them both to be up within 4 hours of this post with my own contributions included.

As for the lateness, I may have been getting married and moving into a house with no internet, and more recently working up the nerve to actually get this stuff done. Hope you guys still have what you wrote for the challenges and didn't throw it away to spite me. I look forward to reading them.
PMEmail Poster
Xelfixtheimmortal
Posted: Sep 10 2014, 01:33 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Personal duel issued to Alexanzer, S1arburst (Prissywings), and Ningen
Challenge: Short story, but it must be a fanfic. (If allowable by forum rules, if not you must have at least five original main characters.)
Word count: At least 1000 words.
Deadline: January 1, 2015
Have fun!
Alexanzer
Posted: Sep 10 2014, 06:19 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Challenge Accepted

Has anyone seen a moderator from this forum be active recently? Someone should send a message and ask about the fanfic thing.
PMEmail Poster
Xelfixtheimmortal
Posted: Sep 11 2014, 08:42 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Not sure if there is one anymore, this thread may have just been abandoned. Is there a mod for another thread that could be used in this case?

Also, should we use a common fanfic? We should at least make sure the arbiter knows all the different materials before we use them. In fact, we could just let the arbiter decide. Either that, a vote, or let me decide.

Speaking of arbiters, you get to choose who to use, so have fun w/ that.
S1arburst
Posted: Sep 12 2014, 12:14 PM
Quote Post

Addict

QUOTE (Alexanzer @ Sep 6 2014, 08:54 AM)
As for the lateness, I may have been getting married and moving into a house with no internet, and more recently working up the nerve to actually get this stuff done. Hope you guys still have what you wrote for the challenges and didn't throw it away to spite me. I look forward to reading them.

Congratulations on getting married! I've been married myself for close to 2 years now. It is a good thing :) Be nice to her. It's not Lynn, is it?
PMEmail Poster
Alexanzer
Posted: Sep 13 2014, 10:53 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Cortana has been active while I've been here (last post is in July). I wouldn't count on him to be around in time for us to get started though. I'll just skim through the rules and check if there is something specific stated.

Edit to Add My Findings:"Do not use copyrighted material in your works.
No, that doesn't mean using brand names like Coke or Nintendo. Those would be trademarks. The copyrighting would include things such as, but not limited to characters, worlds, plots, et cetera. So, you know what that means: straight-out fanfiction is prohibited."

I think that means we are gonna have to go with option number two.

As for arbiter-ship, I'll ask Sky again first. Other then that, I can only think of a couple people that might help out.

@S1arburst, It is a good thing. Also, I am indeed married to Lynn. We had been dating for some time before we got into the MT forums.

This post has been edited by Alexanzer on Sep 13 2014, 11:00 AM
PMEmail Poster
Ningen
Posted: Sep 13 2014, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 55780

5 main characters in 1000 words? I think I'll pass, sorry.
PMEmail Poster
S1arburst
Posted: Sep 13 2014, 05:20 PM
Quote Post

Addict

I'll pass as well.
PMEmail Poster
Xelfixtheimmortal
Posted: Sep 18 2014, 09:06 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Alex: Thanks for looking that up. You're awesome, as always. Sucks that we can't do a fanfic though. I think Sky is a pretty good arbiter, so that'd be awesome.

Ningen: That's fine. If you want you can ask alex to be arbiter, if not that's fine.

Prissywings: You joining?

Edit: Oh, sorry. Just saw that. XP

This post has been edited by Xelfixtheimmortal on Sep 18 2014, 09:06 AM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (4) [All] 1 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topic