l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (4) All 1 2 [3] 4  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> The Creative Writing Forum Challenge Thread, The pen is mightier than the sword
Alexanzer
Posted: Jun 8 2014, 06:17 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Mafiosi
Member No.: 78060

Submitting mine now, finally finished it. The writer's block was strong with this one... I'll probably revisit it with a big fat eraser later to fix up the form and word choice, but it is complete for now.
PMEmail Poster
Sky_Paladin
Posted: Jun 9 2014, 03:52 PM
Quote Post

Reliable and trustworthy~

Member No.: 50545

Two entries have been received! The deadline was June 10, so I'll keep them private in case any member wishes to make changes to their submission (or a shock new challenger appears), for the remaining 20 or so hours.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IM
Alexanzer
Posted: Jun 9 2014, 03:53 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Oh, Sky... About the duties of the arbiter -> There is a link in the OP for this thread that has all the info you would want.
PMEmail Poster
Xelfixtheimmortal
Posted: Jun 10 2014, 09:38 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 78120

QUOTE (Sky_Paladin @ Jun 9 2014, 03:52 PM)
Two entries have been received! The deadline was June 10, so I'll keep them private in case any member wishes to make changes to their submission (or a shock new challenger appears), for the remaining 20 or so hours.

Thank you for... arbitering? Whatever. It was great of you to volunteer.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Sky_Paladin
Posted: Jun 13 2014, 05:32 PM
Quote Post

Reliable and trustworthy~

Member No.: 50545

I'm sorry, I went to hospital on my day off and my people poking me for a couple of hours. I'll go back in a few weeks for what is hopefully the second and final round.

OK let's get this done!
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IM
Alexanzer
Posted: Jun 20 2014, 02:41 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Alright, I've been apathetic and lazy long enough. Time to start up the next challenge. I'll make this a short one, and hopefully do another afterwards.

Open Group Challenge #2

This challenge will be to craft an acrostic.

For instance:

Random Splatters
Aimless Wander
Instant Wetness
Now Engulfs

Spells out "RAIN" with the first letter, and has a related poem attached.

Accept the Challenge Date: 6/28/2014
Turn in the Acrostic Date: 7/4/2014

Word Count Limitations: Must be between 5 and 40 words long.

Be efficient, only use words that matter. Topic is free to be chosen by the writer.
PMEmail Poster
Alexanzer
Posted: Jun 28 2014, 11:10 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Ok, the last challenge was a failure at generating interest. I still intend to write the acrostic and I invite anyone else who has some spare time to do the same. No arbiters, I'll just make a thread when it is complete.

The new challenge is to write a short description of a child's summer day (or adventure in one day). The theme I am aiming for is more fantastical and imaginative than an actual summer day would be, but if you feel otherwise inclined, then feel free.

Until more people show up, I think I will leave these as open challenges. Anyone is allowed to join.

Word Limit: Over 500 Words (I am aiming for 1000-1500)

Style: Prose

Genre: Fiction

This post has been edited by Alexanzer on Jun 28 2014, 06:20 PM
PMEmail Poster
S1arburst
Posted: Jun 29 2014, 02:41 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 78100

Sounds interesting. Could I just write a description of an actual day from memory? I don't know any children currently, so anything I made up would be really unconvincing.
PMEmail Poster
Alexanzer
Posted: Jun 29 2014, 08:40 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

You would have to adjust it to be a fiction. But mirroring or using an actual day as a base isn't outside the rules. Glad to see some interest in this one.
PMEmail Poster
S1arburst
Posted: Jun 30 2014, 11:17 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Eh, even if it really sucks, I should be able to write 500 words. It might take a while though. A few more questions.

1.When you said you wanted a "more fantastical and imaginative" day, what are you aiming for? Do you want unicorns walking through the story?

2.Where should I post the story once complete? Just start a new thread in the creative writing forum here?

3. Would you like to throw out a general upper word limit? If an idea really grabs me hard, it's always possible I might write a novel if not restrained tongue.gif (unlikely though)
PMEmail Poster
Alexanzer
Posted: Jun 30 2014, 01:59 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

1. Just not a normal day, cereal, video games, and back to sleep. Make it more exciting, have something of import occur. It's fiction, so go a little crazy. (Honestly, I am not a unicorn fan, so...)

2. Since this challenge has a competitor, I will ask around and get an arbiter. You will pm him the results of your effort.

3. I'm not one to curb creativity, but lets out an upper limit at three thousand. No need to get too out of line here wink.gif
PMEmail Poster
S1arburst
Posted: Jul 5 2014, 01:31 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Okay, I'm done :) I tossed four or five ideas before I got one that would work.
PMEmail Poster
Alexanzer
Posted: Jul 5 2014, 03:47 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Okay, I'll have mine done by tomorrow night. It is probably unnecessary to go through the standard formalities as long as it's just the two people and I didn't formally challenge you specifically. If it's alright, I will just make a thread with my submission, and then you will post yours in response?

I'm open to better/different ideas, it just doesn't seem worth it to track down someone to do it for us.
PMEmail Poster
S1arburst
Posted: Jul 6 2014, 11:54 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Sure, sounds fine! I think this is the first time I've written anything with dialog, so I'll probably spend a little more time checking it before actually posting. If I'm working, I may not see your post right away, but I'll post mine within a day or two.
PMEmail Poster
Alexanzer
Posted: Jul 7 2014, 12:54 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Well, I was gonna have it done last night... Then my temporary crown fell out during lunch... dry.gif I'm finishing it up now. Probably post it in a few hours. (I also need to check it for errors.)
PMEmail Poster
S1arburst
Posted: Jul 7 2014, 02:10 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Ouch! Sorry to hear that :/
PMEmail Poster
S1arburst
Posted: Jul 20 2014, 09:27 PM
Quote Post

Addict

*pokes Alexanzer*
PMEmail Poster
Ningen
Posted: Aug 11 2014, 12:41 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 55780

A bit late, but I have an acrostic - where are replies to be posted?
PMEmail Poster
Alexanzer
Posted: Sep 6 2014, 09:54 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Well, explanations and apologies aside, I will be posting the threads for both the short stories and the acrostics today, expect them both to be up within 4 hours of this post with my own contributions included.

As for the lateness, I may have been getting married and moving into a house with no internet, and more recently working up the nerve to actually get this stuff done. Hope you guys still have what you wrote for the challenges and didn't throw it away to spite me. I look forward to reading them.
PMEmail Poster
Xelfixtheimmortal
Posted: Sep 10 2014, 01:33 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Personal duel issued to Alexanzer, S1arburst (Prissywings), and Ningen
Challenge: Short story, but it must be a fanfic. (If allowable by forum rules, if not you must have at least five original main characters.)
Word count: At least 1000 words.
Deadline: January 1, 2015
Have fun!
Alexanzer
Posted: Sep 10 2014, 06:19 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Challenge Accepted

Has anyone seen a moderator from this forum be active recently? Someone should send a message and ask about the fanfic thing.
PMEmail Poster
Xelfixtheimmortal
Posted: Sep 11 2014, 08:42 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Not sure if there is one anymore, this thread may have just been abandoned. Is there a mod for another thread that could be used in this case?

Also, should we use a common fanfic? We should at least make sure the arbiter knows all the different materials before we use them. In fact, we could just let the arbiter decide. Either that, a vote, or let me decide.

Speaking of arbiters, you get to choose who to use, so have fun w/ that.
S1arburst
Posted: Sep 12 2014, 12:14 PM
Quote Post

Addict

QUOTE (Alexanzer @ Sep 6 2014, 08:54 AM)
As for the lateness, I may have been getting married and moving into a house with no internet, and more recently working up the nerve to actually get this stuff done. Hope you guys still have what you wrote for the challenges and didn't throw it away to spite me. I look forward to reading them.

Congratulations on getting married! I've been married myself for close to 2 years now. It is a good thing :) Be nice to her. It's not Lynn, is it?
PMEmail Poster
Alexanzer
Posted: Sep 13 2014, 10:53 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Cortana has been active while I've been here (last post is in July). I wouldn't count on him to be around in time for us to get started though. I'll just skim through the rules and check if there is something specific stated.

Edit to Add My Findings:"Do not use copyrighted material in your works.
No, that doesn't mean using brand names like Coke or Nintendo. Those would be trademarks. The copyrighting would include things such as, but not limited to characters, worlds, plots, et cetera. So, you know what that means: straight-out fanfiction is prohibited."

I think that means we are gonna have to go with option number two.

As for arbiter-ship, I'll ask Sky again first. Other then that, I can only think of a couple people that might help out.

@S1arburst, It is a good thing. Also, I am indeed married to Lynn. We had been dating for some time before we got into the MT forums.

This post has been edited by Alexanzer on Sep 13 2014, 11:00 AM
PMEmail Poster
Ningen
Posted: Sep 13 2014, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 55780

5 main characters in 1000 words? I think I'll pass, sorry.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (4) All 1 2 [3] 4  Reply to this topicStart new topic