l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (4) All [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> The Creative Writing Forum Challenge Thread, The pen is mightier than the sword
DJROC
Posted: Jun 3 2007, 07:09 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 40773

Alright, after trial by fire, we've got some revised guidelines for the CW Challenges. For any newcomers, the CW Challenges are personal writing competitions between forumites. The goal here is to push ourselves to write more often, and friendly competition is a fun way to hold it all together.

These are independent of the Monthly Contests. No points are given, no official winners are declared, and you don't get any prizes for winning.

How to start

Challengers: Got an idea for a great short story? Are you curious about how another forumite would write something similar? Throw down the gauntlet and issue a Personal Duel! In Personal Duels, the issuer challenges a specific forumite by name, and provides a short summary of their idea. This should include what specific elements you want the story to include, along with a word count minimum and maximum. Your "opponent" has a default period of one week to accept or refuse the challenge starting at the time you post.

Your challenge should include the following information-

Personal Duel issued to (other person's name)
Challenge: (A short description of your challenge. This could include specifics on style, themes, characters, or just about anything else you wanted to work on. No more than two specifications at a time please!)
Word Count: (Set your minimum/maximum word counter here. Try and keep it reasonable.)

Accepters: Some little upstart dared to challenge you? Well on guard! Review the terms of the challenge and see if it's something you're up for. If it is, great! Go ahead and accept. As the accepter of a challenge, you are entitled to choose the competition Arbiter. An Arbiter is an impartial overseer of your challenge. Arbiters are active members of the CW board and volunteer to do this. A list of arbiters can be found at the bottom of the Wikipage.

Arbiters: What's this? A spat is brewing between members? It's your job to keep it fair and civilized! As Arbiter you are in charge of setting a due date for the entries. Two weeks after the challenge is accepted is the usual amount time, but if the duelists get their entries in before then, go ahead and post them! You also need to make sure that you have space in your inbox to receive the competition entries.

Be sure to confirm if you're able to be an Arbiter for the duel and, if so, what the due date will be. If not, let the challenge accepter know so they can ask for another one.

During the Writing Period

Duelists: Get writing! Check what due date your Arbiter set and do your best to get your piece finished by then. Due dates include a date and time, usually in GMT but sometimes not, so make sure you check your clock! When you're done, PM your submission to your Arbiter.

Arbiters: Make sure you can respond to PMs if your duelists have any problems or questions.

The Showdown

Arbiters: After receiving both entries, it's your job to make a challenge thread. The thread title should include the names of the duelists and a very short description of what the competition was about. (There are no F-Levels for challenge threads.) In the thread, challenger entries get posted first, with accepter entries following. Double posting has been permitted for these purposes.

Duelists: Check out what the other person wrote! That's half the point of the exercise. You are also required to post a comment/critique on their work. Some people prefer to wait until non-participants offer a critique, but if it's been a week without a response, you should go ahead and post.

Question Section

What if the person I challenged doesn't accept?
If the person you challenged doesn't accept, you can change the duel from a Personal Duel to an Open Duel. First person to accept is the person you'll be squaring off against.

Do I have to issue a challenge as a Personal Duel first?
Not at all! If you don't have a specific person in mind for your challenge, you can go ahead and issue an Open Duel right from the get-go. Just change the line where you would normally put the specific person's name to read "Open Duel".

What if my idea's too cool to be restricted to just two people?
Then you may issue the challenge as an Open Group Duel. That way any number of people can accept your challenge. All the steps are pretty much the same, but the acceptance period extends for the full week to allow as many people to join. The first person to accept will designate an Arbiter, but should wait until the acceptance period is over before doing so.
(This allows potential Arbiters the opportunity to jump in on the fun if they want to.)

I'm not sure what kind of challenge to issue. What are some of the one's people have already done?
Glad you asked! The wiki also has a convenient list of completed challenges.

Oh no! I forgot something important regarding my duel and I'm too lazy to look through the challenge thread! What ever shall I do?
Fear not. The slightly-less-lazy try and compile all relevant information for current challenges on the wiki's challenge record page.

What if I can't make the deadline?
Send your Arbiter a PM and ask them if you can get the deadline extended. They'll clear it with your opponent(s).

I missed the deadline! What happens now?
You'll get strung up on the wiki's wall of shame, the challenge will be considered incomplete, and your opponent's entry will be posted without you.

Can I challenge someone to a poetry duel instead of a short story duel?
You sure can! Try and make sure they're a "known poet" on the board if you're issuing a Personal Duel. Otherwise it's recommended that you issue poetry challenges as Open Duels.

More details can be found on the CW Challenges main wikipage, including tips, guidelines, and a point-by-point outline of what to do.

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Aarin
Posted: Jun 3 2007, 08:37 PM
Quote Post

RAWR!

Group: Mafiosi
Member No.: 52237

Yeah! Looks tight! Really like the voice too.

We'll see about getting the lovely Tonic to sticky-swap these.

Great job, and thanks~!

Open Duel!
Subject: Action scene
Write a fight scene...with action!
Word min: 500 (no max)

Action isn't something I see a lot of here, but it's something I practice at. Think you can do better? Keeping the characters as more than action figures is always the fun part. I don't have anything in mind for mine yet, not even a genre (though I'm leaning towards western!).

This post has been edited by Aarin on Jun 3 2007, 09:34 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Amu
Posted: Jun 4 2007, 02:41 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 31011

Action fighting scene? Freak yeah!
I'll accept.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Aarin
Posted: Jun 4 2007, 01:34 PM
Quote Post

RAWR!

QUOTE (Amu @ Jun 4 2007, 02:41 AM)
Action fighting scene? Freak yeah!
I'll accept.

Awesome! A rematch smile.gif

[live tutorial]

Now you pick an arbiter, and we get 2 weeks to write our thrilling scenes!

[/tutorial]
sky1
Posted: Jun 4 2007, 03:38 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 16621

Mind making this an open group duel? Can't promise I'll have something, but I don't mind living on the wall of shame.
PMEmail Poster
Aarin
Posted: Jun 4 2007, 07:22 PM
Quote Post

RAWR!

QUOTE (sky1 @ Jun 4 2007, 03:38 PM)
Mind making this an open group duel?  Can't promise I'll have something, but I don't mind living on the wall of shame.

Actually, why not?

OPEN GROUP DUEL!

It'll be fun.

Everyone in the pool. It's a fight off!

I guess we have until Sunday for sign-ups.

This post has been edited by Aarin on Jun 4 2007, 08:24 PM
Marrowmeld
Posted: Jun 4 2007, 07:50 PM
Quote Post

Philosopher Koala

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 14390

Sha-weet. Open group duel. Count me in. It's likely enough that I'll have time to participate, but even if I end up missing out... I think I can handle the Wall of Shame. So who's gonna be the arbiter?
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
DJROC
Posted: Jun 4 2007, 09:24 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

QUOTE (DJROC @ Jun 4 2007, 02:09 AM)
What if my idea's too cool to be restricted to just two people?
Then you may issue the challenge as an Open Group Duel. That way any number of people can accept your challenge. All the steps are pretty much the same, but the acceptance period extends for the full week to allow as many people to join. The first person to accept will designate an Arbiter, but should wait until the acceptance period is over before doing so.
(This allows potential Arbiters the opportunity to jump in on the fun if they want to.)

Duelists will have until the evening-morning of June 10-11th to join. An arbiter will be designated by Amu after the acceptance period from remaining arbiters on the list. If, by some random chance, all of our Arbiters join (or are too busy), we'll just have to ask for a new volunteer to step forward to arbitrate.

I think I'll join in on this one too. happy.gif
PMEmail Poster
DJROC
Posted: Jun 11 2007, 09:50 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Alright Amu, challenge period is over and you're up. cool.gif

Available Arbiters:
Aarin (Participating)
Amu (Participating)
Cnayur
Crosis
DJROC (Participating)
DNA.Styx
Last of Fallen (Participating in the sleepless challenge)
MissedTarget (Arbitrating for LoF and Yo_Jimbo!)
PMEmail Poster
Amu
Posted: Jun 11 2007, 11:37 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 31011

Hmmmm. I haven't heard from Cnayur and Crosis for a while.
So DNA, you want the job?
PMEmail PosterMSN
DNA.Styx
Posted: Jun 14 2007, 04:31 PM
Quote Post

KOTOKO says, "Ohayou~"

Member No.: 53474

Done. I really will give out lashings if anyone's late this time.
Aarin
Posted: Jun 14 2007, 04:38 PM
Quote Post

RAWR!

Already working on mine. It'll be a lot of fun!
DJROC
Posted: Jun 14 2007, 04:42 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

QUOTE (DNA.Styx @ Jun 14 2007, 11:31 PM)
Done. I really will give out lashings if anyone's late this time.

I'm assuming we have until the 25th at some specified time?
PMEmail Poster
Marrowmeld
Posted: Jun 14 2007, 08:47 PM
Quote Post

Philosopher Koala

Member No.: 14390

QUOTE (DJROC @ Jun 14 2007, 05:42 PM)
I'm assuming we have until the 25th at some specified time?

I'm working under the same assumption. Verification?

By the way, I'm finding this to actually be really hard. I think I've had about 4 or 5 different story ideas by now, each one being "the story." Hooray! happy.gif
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
DNA.Styx
Posted: Jun 14 2007, 09:45 PM
Quote Post

KOTOKO says, "Ohayou~"

Member No.: 53474

25th of June, 9:00 PM Pacific Time. (That's 8 hours ahead of GMT, by the way.)
The Humble Grasshopper
Posted: Jul 4 2007, 10:25 AM
Quote Post

KOTOKO says, "Ohayou~"

Member No.: 49114

I've always been relatively interested in the good ol' contests, but until very recently, I haven't had the time for them and subsequently ran away screaming. Now that I have the time, I'd like to let ya'll know that I would, if asked of me, happily arbitrate something for ya in the future.
PMEmail Poster
Aarin
Posted: Jul 7 2007, 02:54 PM
Quote Post

RAWR!

I don't see why not, THG, you'd be perfect.

I guess I'll validate your volunteer~nomination and ask for a second yay to inagurate you as an Arby. If there's a nay, we'll talk it out.

PS - Everyone, I apologize for my non-crit/delay of the fight challenge. I'll post it sunday or monday, as I've had a laundry list of issues keeping me from doing anything but basic online stufs (like 3 posts a day).
DJROC
Posted: Jul 7 2007, 04:32 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Via supreme executive power (read: I edited the wiki page) THG has been added to the list of official Arbiters.

Shiny. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
Cnayur
Posted: Jul 23 2007, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 48598

QUOTE (Amu @ Jun 11 2007, 11:37 PM)
Hmmmm. I haven't heard from Cnayur and Crosis for a while.

True, and apologies. I have been uber-busy. I've checked the wiki just now and at least it looks like I didn't miss any invitation to be arbiter. Phew.

I should be around regularly again from now on. Good luck for everybody in their ongoing challenges.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQAOLYahooMSN
Teh_Az
Posted: Aug 27 2007, 08:00 AM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 55157

Any body up for a Kamen rider type challenge? I just wanted to see how the writers here could go with the tonkatsu genre.
PMEmail Poster
Cnayur
Posted: Oct 6 2007, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 48598

QUOTE (Teh_Az @ Aug 27 2007, 08:00 AM)
Any body up for a Kamen rider type challenge? I just wanted to see how the writers here could go with the tonkatsu genre.

If you're serious about having this challenge, you might want to set it up proper.

By that I mean that you should define the terms of your challenge. Is it to be a Duel, an Open Duel or an Open Group, for example?

Also you might want to elaborate on the rules. Maybe define the tokatsu genre. Not everybody necessarily knows what tokatsu is. I wouldn't know without looking it up.

If you do all that you're far more likely to get a response.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQAOLYahooMSN
fullmetalbunny99
  Posted: Feb 23 2008, 12:33 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 63311

This is off the topic, I know, but I'm desperate. Does anyone have any idea why I "don't have permission to start a new topic"? I'm a member, with a password and everythin', so what the heck? I checked the help screen, but I didn't find what I needed.

If anyone thinks they might know, go ahead and e-mail me. Thanx.
PMEmail Poster
Roisin-chan
Posted: Feb 29 2008, 06:43 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 63220

Does anyone have any idea why I "don't have permission to start a new topic"? I'm a member, with a password and everythin', so what the heck? I checked the help screen, but I didn't find what I needed.

Hey fullmetal i have the same problem right now... we need to post at least 10 posts so we can add a topic.....

I hope that helps... just find something to post on til you've hit 10 and you'll be okay... on another note, I can't wait til I can start a posting because I want to open a new duel but I have to wait...... mrrrh
PMEmail Poster
DJROC
Posted: Feb 29 2008, 07:26 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

I can't wait til I can start a posting because I want to open a new duel but I have to wait...... mrrrh

Duels should be issued and accepted in this thread. The Duel Arbiter will organize the creation of a thread when the deadline has been reached.

Challenge away.

This post has been edited by DJROC on Feb 29 2008, 07:27 PM
PMEmail Poster
Kenogeth321
Posted: Mar 26 2008, 01:00 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 63767

what does it mean to PM? It says to PM your story to the Arbiter once your done.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (4) All [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topic