l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Question for Piro
canadiandrawingboy
Posted: Oct 26 2005, 07:44 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 45934

Im not sure if he comes here or not, but I'll ask this anyway. I'm taking graphic design at college, and I have been reading this comic for a while now. Amazing art skills, every comic just blows my mind on how amazing it's drawn. I've just gotten an ibook for school, and we use g4's at school, and my question is, when you scan your drawings in, what program do you use to touchen up the comic's? Would you use somethin like photoshop or illustrator, or another program
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
Cortana
Posted: Oct 26 2005, 07:53 AM
Quote Post

namada says: :●
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

He uses illustrator to do the word bubbles and text. Photoshop to scan in, I believe.
PMEmail PosterIntegrity Messenger IMICQAOLYahoo
jakedaartist
Posted: Oct 26 2005, 12:39 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 15500

QUOTE (canadiandrawingboy @ Oct 26 2005, 08:44 AM)
Im not sure if he comes here or not, but I'll ask this anyway. I'm taking graphic design at college, and I have been reading this comic for a while now. Amazing art skills, every comic just blows my mind on how amazing it's drawn. I've just gotten an ibook for school, and we use g4's at school, and my question is, when you scan your drawings in, what program do you use to touchen up the comic's? Would you use somethin like photoshop or illustrator, or another program

You can make bubbles in photoshop too, i think you have to use the eliptical selector tool though.
Anyways, use a program that works for you. some people use Flash to do their comic (like alpha shade), while others use photoshop (or GIMP, for us without $$$), and even GraphicsConverter (which is on the mac DL section) could be used, as long as you invest time to learn how to use them, as well as research how you'd like to use them. there are online tutorials everywhere for webcomics.

Also, since you have a mac, i higly recommend ComicLife, excelent program. Does text, bubbles, layout, the works, but can look a tad too digital at times..

This post has been edited by jakedaartist on Oct 26 2005, 12:41 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
Ragathol
Posted: Oct 26 2005, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 14982

Piro won't answer in this forum, but Photoshop is a pretty sure bet, yes.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
canadiandrawingboy
Posted: Oct 28 2005, 02:20 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

i was thinking photoshop and illustrator.

I have the whole creative suite cs2 so I'm good on that part.

and where might I find this ComicLife?
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
wombat74
Posted: Oct 28 2005, 06:22 PM
Quote Post

Marsupial
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 371

QUOTE (canadiandrawingboy @ Oct 29 2005, 06:20 AM)
and where might I find this ComicLife?

www.google.com is a really good place to start looking.
PMEmail Poster
Piro
Posted: Oct 28 2005, 08:43 PM
Quote Post

seraphim fanboy
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Ragathol @ Oct 26 2005, 01:53 PM)
Piro won't answer in this forum, but Photoshop is a pretty sure bet, yes.

who says i wont answer in this forum? tongue.gif

It's nothing special really. Frames are drawn one or two per sheet (8.5 x 11 bright white inkjet paper - i use HP). Scanned into photoshop, cleaned up and adjusted. (I amusing PS 7 right now, havent upgraded to CS yet) I assemble the comics in illustrator just because thats the kind of system i've put together and it works well for me (sizing, cropping, word bubles and text, etc). I then export to a EPS file, and import that into photoshop at 600 dpi, then adjust levels (if nescissary) and resize the image to web size. Upload to the website and post at least 3 or 4 hrs late. Pretty straight forward.

note - i assemble the comics at print size (makes it easier when going to book format). Also, i'm on a mac platform right now, but i used to work on PC versions of Photoshop and Illustrator.

my methods are not the act of someone who knows what they are doing. Its all a extended hack based on my own trial and error methods over the past six years. Find what ways work best for you smile.gif

fredrin
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
jimthegreat1012
Posted: Oct 28 2005, 09:51 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 28015

Admins, Mods, and Fred posting? And all in the same topic? Never thought I'd see that! Did you guys actively decide to start posting more here, or was that some kind of insane coincidence? laugh.gif I've been on this board for about two years I think, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen Fred post....nice to see you, and thanks for hosting such a good art forum. wink.gif

This post has been edited by jimthegreat1012 on Oct 28 2005, 09:52 PM
PMEmail PosterAOL
Piro
Posted: Oct 29 2005, 12:51 AM
Quote Post

seraphim fanboy
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

is it really that big of a deal that i'm poking around at other forums and posting a bit here and there? Sheesh. I'm not a big white elephant, i DO have a hand in keeping these forums running you know (like beating on people for how to prevent a 7 day downtime like we had recently)

fredrin
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Cortana
Posted: Oct 29 2005, 07:14 AM
Quote Post

namada says: :●
Group Icon

Member No.: 10

I should totally change your title to 'big white elephant'
PMEmail PosterIntegrity Messenger IMICQAOLYahoo
canadiandrawingboy
Posted: Oct 29 2005, 07:19 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Thanks Fred

ive been curious as to you you've done it, since I'm a student i got the whole cs2 for like 250, i freaked out when it was that low
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
ANBUluuver
Posted: Oct 29 2005, 11:42 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 46005

lol, i read all that he wrote, and i didn't even get it...X]
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
d4rk_h4mst4
Posted: Oct 29 2005, 03:56 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 40235

Vow, that was, like, HARD!
Regards from Poland, Fred!:)smile.gif
As for the topic, i prefer photoshop.

This post has been edited by d4rk_h4mst4 on Oct 29 2005, 04:00 PM
PMEmail Poster
Ragathol
Posted: Oct 29 2005, 03:58 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 14982

Heh. Actually, I've never seen Fred post in arts either, that's why I said that.

Well.... see there smile.gif

It does sound a bit cumbersome, but whatever suits you best. Hey, at least you're just 3-4 hours late, and not days or weeks like me... ninjanatsD.gif
Slagent
Posted: Oct 30 2005, 04:57 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 37790

im not fred, but, as to the origional topic, realizing that im not fred or anything, but from a tools perspective: i personally find that for just black and white stuff, draw/scan/paintshoppro9 works jus fine. (and is somewhat cheaper than ps)

id imagine that you might want to use ps for coloring however (or gimp) as paint shop doesnt actually have that intuative of a coloring system.
PMEmail Poster
General Chaos
Posted: Oct 30 2005, 06:19 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 11961

Ragathol: Piro posted one of his posters here before it went to print about a year ago.

Got so many of the most well written crits I've ever read on this forum. I suppose we wanted the best we could buy. Or maybe we just wanted to beat up his work. XD
Cless
Posted: Oct 30 2005, 06:37 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 43

Knowing that Photoshop is costly [to some students' pocket at least laugh.gif], I'm somewhat partial to the PSP9 response along with Slagent above. The only reason I'm leaning towards the 'cheaper-software' is to save more for a higher-end tablet though. But our priorities may differ, so hey, if you already went and spend the $250 on CS, congratulations.

Sorry if that sounded as 'un-productive' input, I actually had an off-topic question that (many of) you folks can probably answer - what is the origin of that wicked animation taking place in Piro's avatar? laugh.gif I suppose to solve the mystery on my own may be more exciting but... tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster
SnoozerX
Posted: Nov 7 2005, 01:07 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 14941

Students get huge discounts on Software! You can get some programs for under $100. Many are offered for 30-70% off. Some schools have discount programs as well, so ask around.

I'd shop around a bit, but here's a good place to start.

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/

CB
Alpha Shade

This post has been edited by SnoozerX on Nov 7 2005, 01:09 AM
PMEmail Poster
odette
Posted: Nov 7 2005, 07:54 PM
Quote Post

Draw from life!

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 15063

Dear fredrin:

Wow, so nice to see you here! Knowing us (and you), this will go down in forum lore as That Time Piro Posted in A&D. We'd love to see more of you, though.

Love, odette.

(PS: I've heard great things about InDesign. You might want to play around with it)

This post has been edited by odette on Nov 7 2005, 07:55 PM
PMEmail Poster
mikec1998
Posted: Nov 7 2005, 10:20 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 46199

@ piro, cs is a a pain i've got both 7 & cs. i stopped using cs after about the fourth time it crashed on me. 7 is much more stable & i really didn't notice too many things to brag about for cs. the only thing i've found is that certain brushes will only work for cs, but then again i prefer making my own brushes so it hasn't been a problem.
PMEmail Poster
patty cakes
Posted: Nov 8 2005, 06:16 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 45118

well good thing i found this, its always confused me, it still does, though i can figure it out now ^ ^

piro's always got cool gifs sad.gif makes me jealous and yeah cs crashed shitloads for me too so irritating
PMEmail PosterMSN
Yum_yum_oden
Posted: Nov 8 2005, 06:35 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 38484

*fake australian accent* G'day mates! Yum_yum here, in the A&D forums! Here we see many different species of artist, but some of those artist rarley show their face in... CRIKEY!!! It's the great white elephant (or Piro if you want to be scientific..)!! Truely is a remarkable day for us!!!
Nya ha ha.. just poking fun! XD I too have never seen the great white elephant post..
But I highly doubt I need to say what to use now, but I'll say it anyway,: use photoshop... ^ 3^
patty cakes
Posted: Nov 9 2005, 03:53 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 45118

damn steve irwin got to you too? i thought it'd be pretty impossible for one aussie to make em all look like wankers, but he did it...with flying colours

nothing to say on the topic tho tongue.gif
PMEmail PosterMSN
Yum_yum_oden
Posted: Nov 9 2005, 02:52 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 38484

yesh, curse that steve... *shakes head* lol biggrin.gif
..... CRIKEY! nya ha ha
jakedaartist
Posted: Nov 9 2005, 05:55 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 15500

side note to the guy who asked about ComicLife:
you can find it here: http://plasq.com/
But, like i said before, it costs a bit to use it, and the trial version has a thingy that is on the page you make, plus you can only use comiclife on a MAC system.
If you have a mac system, the lowest requirements are about 800mhz processor (G3 or higher) and at least 256mb or ram.

Also, I've seen fred post here a few times, but i've been around here for awhile. usually it was during the feedback bit he had up for his poster of "fear the cute ones", but it wasnt like he glued himself here. of course, one thing that i havent seen is fred every really replying to a post more than once. so this is a bit....rare i'd say...
Oh well, maybe he's just had some more spare time then usual. : P

~Teh Jake
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options   Reply to this topicStart new topic