l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (3) All 1 [2] 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Forget Piro gettin storylines outta the forums..., Forget Piro gettin storylines outta the forums...
Nightwalker AK
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 01:52 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 541

This is good Telliamed! I'm gonna have to expand on it now...
PMEmail Poster
Sara
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 08:11 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 7074

Oh wow! Piro Himself hath posted here! *Marks this thread as religious ground and begins her prayers.*

...Anyhoo. Fred already said it. happy.gif He takes feedback from what he reads here, and lets it effect how he takes the story in a very indirect manner (This is Fred. He's about as indirect as downtown Orlando--and it's easy as hell to get lost in downtown Orlando, trust me). He's had MT thought out for a very long time, but, of course, there are factors that may effect the comic in smaller ways. He may take longer portraying a certain thing, or discover something that he originally didn't think of that must be expressed.

Oh... the l33tn3ss... I am not worthy...
PMEmail Poster
Psieye
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 08:21 AM
Quote Post

Speculator & Lore Hunter

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 5841

Take a drink when...
... Some newbie makes an intro post on the lines of: "Help! I don't understand what's going on!"
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
thrash
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 08:45 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 650

In reply to:

So what would you do if you were finalising the next strip when someone suddenly posts a speculation that fits almost perfectly.

Guys, this is exactly why I try very hard not to get too specific when I speculate on the future of the strip. You would be flatly appalled at the number of no-talent jerks who sue someone famous for stealing "their" idea, when it was probably stolen by Homer in the first place.

Such suits don't have to be legally plausible or even make sense at all, to cost a lot of money and time to fight. That's why most writers/publishers/producers/etc. won't even look at an unsolicited manuscript or story idea -- if it doesn't come from a reputable agent (who won't abuse their interest), it goes in the trash unread.

We all know what Mr. Gallagher's finances must look like in general terms: anyone want to guess what would happen to him if he got caught up in a copyright battle? You may well know you're not that kind of jerk, but for him it's a crap-shoot. I therefore humbly suggest that we confine ourselves to dissecting what has already happened, and leave the future of the strip comfortably vague.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Quinn
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 09:27 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 356

In reply to:

Latency may have been borrowed

Nani? Or did you mean that I borrowed her from elsewhere?

- _Quinn
PM
ViolentChemistry
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 10:00 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 7565

Hey, that sounds like a fun one. Although, not as fun as the Grand Theft Auto drinking game I wrote a while back. Heh, when I drive, everyone's toasted.
PMEmail Poster
Psieye
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 10:39 AM
Quote Post

Speculator & Lore Hunter

I'd never sue Fred if something like that did happen (as if that's likely at all). I certainly wouldn't want others to do it for me either. Copyright is good when you are trying to defend against plagarism, but there's the problem of people being able to come up with similar ideas independantly. The extraction of Aluminium from Bauxite using Cryolite is one example.

Most of our future-speculations are vague. If one of our detailed speculations, e.g. some of my 'scripts', happened to match what Fred was thinking, it just means we came up with similar ideas independantly - Fred likely to have thought it up first as he's planned MT. I trust in the intelligence of the detailed speculators.
Nightwalker AK
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 10:41 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Well, keep in mind I said that before Piro posted, and, I dunno, this DPD just struck me as odd. The pic fits, based on how much of Latency I remember, and look at her shirt.

Just coincidence I guess.
PMEmail Poster
Quinn
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 11:54 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 356

Oooh... I'd forgotten about the DPD, but I'd asuumed it was Piroko with a shirt talking about the Great Enemy of gamers -- since, IIRC, Latency (the Doll) bore a "startling but not copyright-infringing resemblance to Rally Vincent." Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

- _Quinn
PM
Ray Kremer
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 12:25 PM
Quote Post

Fanmod #1
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3418

Brilliant!

Take a drink when...
...somebody asks what baka means.
...somebody asks for l33t to be explained.
...somebody writes an entire sentence in advanced l33t.
...somebody asks what happened to a character who simply isn't a part of the currently running scenes.
Psieye
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Speculator & Lore Hunter

...Somebody asks whether Miho is evil or not
...Somebody asks when a certain character is going to make an appearance.
...Some newbie declares it's his/her first post - regardless of whether the post is intelligent or n00bish.
SUSPECT
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 12:35 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 7864

Sw337, I declared I was nu. That meas I get to take a drink. Eggnog and Rye time , tho I don't think drinking at work will go over very well with my boss....lest he's drunk of course

SUSPECT
PMEmail Poster
1337 b4k4
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 01:57 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 6435

In reply to:

You would be flatly appalled at the number of no-talent jerks who sue someone famous for stealing "their" idea, when it was probably stolen by Homer in the first place

I think if some loser had the balls (or lack there of) to sue Piro for "stealing" his idea, that there might be a slight mass gathering of MT fans. And when the gathering had dispersed, the loser would not be there anymore. (Think pirahnas! [sp?])
PMEmail Poster
Psieye
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 02:40 PM
Quote Post

Speculator & Lore Hunter

Reminds me of our fanatical attitude towards MT Hentai. If someone was discovered publishing MT Hentai on the net, his atoms would be scattered across the solar system from our black-hot flames.

Same here. If someone ever sues Piro for such an insignificant thing and causes so much trouble, that person will not have a corpse after we're done. Of course, some will flock to defend and comfort Fred whilst others do the counter-attacking. I seem to remember one incident in Fred's rants where one negative, non-constructive email upset his mood so much that he changed the topic of his rant - leading to hundreds of emails comforting him.
peropero
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 07:07 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 2916

hey when piro shut down the forums for awhile, it seemed that everyone kinda grew kinder and more generous....they obviously don't want that to happen again...

now if piro would shut down the forum AND the comic, many things might happen.....

for all we know, those who go to the forums might consist on less than half of those who actually read MT and like it...
PMEmail Poster
Nightwalker AK
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 08:04 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Which, if I recall, was in the wake of STLs rather abrupt departure. Dark times on this forum. Dark times indeed.

This is one of the things I love about MegaTokyo, and it's fans. Not only do we like the comic, but we genuinely care for the characters. Something happens to them, or to the artist, and we suddenly have a standing army of ten-thousand ready to deal with any threat, anywhere.

I think the integrity of the staff of this place has a lot to do with that. Take a look at the EN/ES boards if you want that oft-mentioned "lawless internet."

Oh, and the other reason we'll never see MT hentai is because we all know that Fred doesn't really run this comic: we all know that the MT girls control him, not the other way around.
PMEmail Poster
thrash
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 09:32 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Ladies and Gentlemen:

With all due respect to the power of the MT community, this is not a problem that can be wished away in a blizzard of email messages. Forget the revenge fantasies: if one misanthropic bastard chooses to take Mr. Gallagher to court over something he printed it will take valuable time and resources for him to fight it, no matter how bogus and unfounded the suit.

Mr. Gallagher is extremely open with his fans, and equally careful about his copyrights and trademarks. I have no doubt he knows exactly what he's doing. I am pointing out for the benefit of everyone who doesn't do this for a living that:

(1) it's not fair to ask him anything specific about an idea you bring up, because if he acknowledges you he's leaving himself open for a nuisance suit.

(2) it's better to discourage detailed speculation about future strips altogether, to avoid putting him in the position of having to decide whether his script looks too much like your idea or not.

Of course the overwhelming majority of MT fans are decent, respectful people who would never dream of doing anything so pointless and petty. Look at the problem from Mr. Gallagher's side, though: it only takes one bad apple. All I'm suggesting is that we police ourselves, so as not to burden him unnecessarily.

Respectfully,

Christopher Thrash
<thrash@io.com>
thrash
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 09:41 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

In reply to:

for all we know, those who go to the forums might consist on less than half of those who actually read MT and like it...

Less than 10%, probably. The figure I recall is 200,000 readers per day, when there are only 15,000 registered forum-goers (only a fraction of whom post regularly).
Nightwalker AK
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 10:17 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Yeah, what was the info on the Forums? 15000 users, about 1000 active, about 100 highly active? Something like that.

I agree with your words, but remember, even a flood of emails can be damaging, and we will stand with MT. Anyone remember that picture Piro auctioned off? That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.
PMEmail Poster
thrash
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 11:55 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

In reply to:

I agree with your words, but remember, even a flood of emails can be damaging, and we will stand with MT. Anyone remember that picture Piro auctioned off? That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Oh, I have no doubt at all that the fan base would be immensely supportive. I don't suppose, though, that the sort of person we're talking about would give a wet slap about negative attention -- might get off on it, in fact. It would not be one of the regulars in any case: probably a tourist who made one obvious or lucky guess. It's not all that likely to happen, either.

But time spent talking to lawyers and making depositions would be time away from drawing Megatokyo; mental energy spent deciding what is too close to risk claims of plagiarism is energy wasted (let alone if he should change a strip because of it). Let's just not put Mr. Gallagher in the position of having to make those decisions if we can avoid it, shall we? It seems to me a simple courtesy.
Nightwalker AK
Posted: Dec 3 2002, 11:59 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Wise words, agreed.

Have we hijacked this thread long enough?
PMEmail Poster
Psieye
Posted: Dec 4 2002, 02:19 AM
Quote Post

Speculator & Lore Hunter

*sigh* such is reality. I wouldn't want to shoot down a great story idea just because I thought and posted it. Very well, I shall do my best to constrain myself from writing giant scripts. If I do write such a script, it will have to be a long-term speculation - such that Fred's flexible plans can bend around it if need be.

Would you say that my 'Speculation for [xxx]' lists are vague enough to still continue? After all, Fred wants some speculation on the future to gauge our thoughts and reactions.
Ray Kremer
Posted: Dec 5 2002, 02:31 AM
Quote Post

Fanmod #1
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3418

Take a drink when...
...Somebody starts a thread about MegaTokyo should be turned into anime.
...Two drinks when somebody says they should make some MT merchandise when said merchandise has already been announced as upcoming.
DaManRando
Posted: Dec 5 2002, 02:57 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 3421

Well, I must say that when I was posting this, I was hoping for both of the Replies that our good author put on here... well, more Praying valiantly for the first, hopin for the second. And also let me say thank you for the response, straight from the proverbial horses mouth if you will.
PMEmail PosterAOL
thrash
Posted: Dec 5 2002, 05:28 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Post deleted by thrash
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) All 1 [2] 3  Reply to this topicStart new topic