l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (6) All 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> [0732] - Circuity : Pushing The Wind, details! I am sure there is a way!
Refugee
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 05:19 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 7641

QUOTE (HatsuharuZ @ Jul 8 2005, 05:51 PM)
Watch out, Kimiko! laugh.gif

That's not Kimiko, that's Memai, a new character. Fred's explicity said that she's not Kimiko.

Also, it's hard to tell inside that harness, but I think Largo's helper is one of the Pirowenches, not Piro. I'm prepared to be shown up on that in the next strip, though.

Technical point: Largo's exactly right: fans do indeed "push wind." Odd phrasing, but he's essentially right.

The real problem, of course, is that to do that, you need to power the turbine somehow. Since the Wind Farm (and how delightful the ambiguity, next to Largo's stated goal) usually turns Wind into Power, if it is to produce Wind, where will the Power come from?

Odd that Memai choose a tower to sit under that has rigging hanging down from it. I know I'd've picked another.

What is that thing Piro-whoever is holding in panel 4? It looks like half of a (very big) power resistor.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
gabeman_12321
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 05:19 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 35902

Yup there was a thread about their similarities so far or something like that... I dunno well Ill be lurking about this comic until the discussion thread starts I guess.
PMEmail PosterYahoo
littlethunder
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 05:25 PM
Quote Post

Don't believe everything you THINK!

Member No.: 33790

QUOTE (Orriens)
Yes, but look at where piro dropped it and its current location, next to the pole. It must be the wind if it allready made that movement (and gravitation). And therefor it won't fall on kimiko's head smile.gif

No, remember that Piro dropped the wrench over the side of the turbine body. It's not next to the pole, it's on Memai's side of the pole. The position is just about right for the wrench to crush Memai's picnic basket.

LittleThunder

This post has been edited by littlethunder on Jul 8 2005, 05:26 PM
PMEmail Poster
Refugee
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 05:27 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

QUOTE (JaSin @ Jul 8 2005, 06:17 PM)
OMG....so far i love it
small question tho, is this omake maybe based in part on Haibane Renmei?

Why, yes, yes it is.

Ray, can we put this in the drinking game? Soon?

And the bit about mistaking Memai for Kimiko?

Oh, and Fred?

Beautiful start. I know you've promised us something dark, but I had to laugh when I saw Largo's hair in the very first frame. And I love the mechanical details of engine and rigging.

This post has been edited by Refugee on Jul 8 2005, 05:30 PM
Orriens
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 05:29 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 32994

QUOTE (littlethunder @ Jul 8 2005, 05:25 PM)
QUOTE (Orriens)
Yes, but look at where piro dropped it and its current location, next to the pole. It must be the wind if it allready made that movement (and gravitation). And therefor it won't fall on kimiko's head smile.gif

No, remember that Piro dropped the wrench over the side of the turbine body. It's not next to the pole, it's on Memai's side of the pole. The position is just about right for the wrench to crush Memai's picnic basket.

Then I can only hope that the wind will get a grip on a fast falling slim piece of heave metal... wacko.gif
PMEmail Poster
Kanji Asutin
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 05:35 PM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 40091

QUOTE (gabeman_12321 @ Jul 8 2005, 05:19 PM)
Yup there was a thread about their similarities so far or something like that... I dunno well Ill be lurking about this comic until the discussion thread starts I guess.

Why would we need a disc thread for an omake?
PMEmail Poster
hikaru99
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 05:45 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 23355

I say jolly, are those two lads... the two British Airmen from Allo' Allo'?

On second thought, maybe they are the messenger couriers from Norikia and Largo is going to mod a Vanship out of the windmill?
PMEmail Poster
RadicalEdward13
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 05:45 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 26034

Kyaaaa..PLEASE let that be bishie Piro!~ wub.gif *fangirls*

This is cool! Like...Haibane continuation! ^.^ Squee!
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
Pop Tatari
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 05:57 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 42715

Curious: is this inspired at all by George R. R. Martin? The dialogue in the first panel contains several lines that are repeated ad infinitum by his characters.
PMEmail Poster
Hyouryu
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 37222

A Largo-ish character with glasses, a male (probably) Piro-ish character with a strong sense of purpose and intent... I'll be hiding in the fallout shelter as the world ends, thank you.
PMEmail Poster
HatsuharuZ
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 06:08 PM
Quote Post

Fruit Baskets~<3

Member No.: 40427

A Largo-ish character with glasses, a male (probably) Piro-ish character with a strong sense of purpose and intent... I'll be hiding in the fallout shelter as the world ends, thank you.

Are those glasses or goggles?
Then I can only hope that the wind will get a grip on a fast falling slim piece of heave metal...

Usually, when a metal object accidently falls, it will hit someone... sad.gif

Yay!!! Post #200! Anyone want it? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by HatsuharuZ on Jul 8 2005, 06:15 PM
PMEmail Poster
Lightice
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 06:10 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 42335

To me it seems that these are without many complications Piro, Largo and Kimiko of the Haibane Renmei universe, at least as far as their personalities go - no idea about their names, yet, ofcoure.

I am quite intigrued, already. I have a feeling that I'll want more, when this omake is over...

One thing, though: the windmills of the Windy Hill weren't that big in the actual series, were they? That one damn big windmill - you could see over the Wall from it.
PMEmail Poster
Alcnolien
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 06:11 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 41057

Wow... awesome! wub.gif
I have no clue what's going on but it's awesome.
PMEmail Poster
Babylon5fan
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 06:13 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 42082

Yep, short stories are very hard - probably why some of my favorite stories are very clever short ones. A couple people asked about "teh funny" - you didn't see where Fred said the somber one won the decision.
Gee, Fred, if you feel like going over 8 pages, I won't mind at all. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Babylon5fan on Jul 8 2005, 06:14 PM
PMEmail Poster
Shadowy Intent
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 06:23 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 39761

I still don't know what's going on, but so far, I like it.

The possibility of Largo's words in the first panel being a Song of Ice and Fire reference is intriguing, but I wouldn't put too much stock in it just yet. The phrase "Winter is Coming" is pretty commonplace, with no special significance unless you're already clued in to its echo of Winterfell. I'll wait for dialogue including the lines "We Do Not Sow" or "Ours is the Fury" before I get too nerded out.
PMEmail Poster
Refugee
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 06:24 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

QUOTE (Hyouryu @ Jul 8 2005, 07:01 PM)
A Largo-ish character with glasses, a male (probably) Piro-ish character with a strong sense of purpose and intent...  I'll be hiding in the fallout shelter as the world ends, thank you.
To say nothing of a Largo with a poetically practical turn of mind. "Push the wind." Beautiful.

QUOTE (Lightice)
One thing, though: the windmills of the Windy Hill weren't that big in the actual series, were they? That one damn big windmill - you could see over the Wall from it.
Yeah, they're pretty tall. And as I recall, in HR they were rather closer to Old Home than the wall. But I'm just not going worry about these small differences between the original anime and Fred's omake. Too easy to get bogged down in nitpicking.

Nitpicking Fred's internal consistency, fair game. But leave HR out of it, except as it illuminates Fred's story.
Pop Tatari
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 06:26 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 42715

QUOTE (Shadowy Intent @ Jul 8 2005, 06:23 PM)
I still don't know what's going on, but so far, I like it.

The possibility of Largo's words in the first panel being a Song of Ice and Fire reference is intriguing, but I wouldn't put too much stock in it just yet. The phrase "Winter is Coming" is pretty commonplace, with no special significance unless you're already clued in to its echo of Winterfell. I'll wait for dialogue including the lines "We Do Not Sow" or "Ours is the Fury" before I get too nerded out.

It's the additional reference to a wall that got me thinking in that direction. In A Song of Ice and Fire, winter descends from north of the Wall. And the fact that "Winter is coming" gets its own bubble means that it's...like...important, right?
PMEmail Poster
faithless_pilgrim
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 06:32 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 25641

I love it, I'd be happy if the comic dropped the previous storline and continued with this, I think the other has maybe lost its initial vitality. Putting aside my hatred of windturbines (you live in Wales for most of your life, you assume a natural aversion, especially if they are built near you) this is a beautiful strip, Piro looks wierd, different. Largo cool as usual.
PMEmail Poster
Ray Kremer
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 06:33 PM
Quote Post

Fanmod #1
Group Icon

Member No.: 3418

Interesting. So this is sorta like Pretty Sammy, with characters from an existing story put somewhere else entirely, with everything different, but some personality elements remain. But if we've got Kimiko as Memai, are Piro and Largo still Piro and Largo? Ah well, I guess I'll go with that for now and I can always fix the transcript later if we find out different.

QUOTE (Refugee @ Jul 8 2005, 06:27 PM)
Ray, can we put this in the drinking game? Soon?

Not a bad idea. How to put it...
Take a drink when somebody asks for confirmation of what something in the comic is referencing when it's already been mentioned in the discussion thread for that strip.

(This'll cover us for people who discover references in strips from a long time ago too, because forum searchs for old MDTs are easy to do.)
Osaka Boy
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 06:33 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 36838

While I understand some people seeing George RR Martin references in the dialogue I got something else out of it. My first impression from the clothes and dialogue, especially Piro's, gave me more a sense of a Mad Max type civilization breakdown kind of atmosphere.

Which ever it is (and it's probably some thing else entirely) this has a nice dark start to it.
PMEmail Poster
Kobayashi
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 06:37 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 30087

Hey, Piro-kun ^^
It's nice to know it's still June where you are, it's not as hot as it is in July, is it? ^^
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
shadowrider
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 42717

QUOTE (HatsuharuZ @ Jul 8 2005, 08:08 PM)
Are those glasses or goggles?

I was under the impression that they were safety goggles from the way they hung around largo's neck in panel 3. In panel 5 though the way they are drawn does make them look like glasses. wacko.gif

Yay!!! Post #200! Anyone want it? laugh.gif
-HatsuharuZ
>snag< I'll take it if you don't mind. wink.gif

[Edit]Typos, and a stupid one at that[/Edit]

This post has been edited by shadowrider on Jul 8 2005, 06:45 PM
PM
xenoandroid
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 07:12 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 14752

QUOTE (Kanji Asutin @ Jul 8 2005, 06:35 PM)
Why would we need a disc thread for an omake?

Because people here like to overanalyze everything. Seriously, Fred could draw a curved line on a piece of paper and upload it as part of Megatokyo and I bet people would still analyze it for several pages in the forum. Personally I find the concept of the page by page DISC kind of ridiculous because novel projects should be analyzed as a whole, in fact I believe it was created out of some member(s)' superiority complex. If something comes up on a specific page that sparks discussion than it makes more sense to start a thread for that specific topic, which is how every other comic forum I'm a member of does it. The new thread for each update model just lends itself to initial reaction/spammy posts.

QUOTE (Orriens @ Jul 8 2005, 06:29 PM)
Then I can only hope that the wind will get a grip on a fast falling slim piece of heave metal... wacko.gif

You want the wind to make sure the wrench hits such a tragic looking character on the head? I guess if Fred decides to use anime-physics/laws of life and death it could suddenly change this from a somber to a comical bonus(1) or it could be that he's starting the story off with a tragic accident (such as how it was done in kimi ga nozomu eien).

Anyway, my spatial intuition and knowledge of falling objects in physics says that the wrench should technically fall to the girls left front if there were no interference from the wind. This is because objects continue to move in the direction they were accelerated in at a constant speed (meaning it should hit the ground further away from the windmill than it was when it fell off). Also judging by the scale of the windmill in comparison to the humans would say that at worst the girl would have a leg injury even if the wrench didn't have any horizontal velocity. But the last panel makes it look like the wrench (if that little speck is the wrench) is actually going to land behind the picnic basket...so...yeah...I really don't want to see bloody-death-by-flying-wrench.

1. omake means bonus.

This post has been edited by xenoandroid on Jul 8 2005, 07:14 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IMICQAOLYahooMSN
Tane
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 07:16 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 42450

Judging from the angle of the windmill tower, the speck that is the wrench and Kimiko/Memai, it appears that the wrench will either A ) hit her wing (ouch...) or B ) demolish the picknick basket. I hope it's B for her sake, but if it's A we have an excelent way for Kimiko/Memai and Piro/? to meet.

Oh, yeah, this is my first post isn't it...

[edit- for spelling/typos]

This post has been edited by Tane on Jul 8 2005, 07:25 PM
PMEmail Poster
Chun
Posted: Jul 8 2005, 07:25 PM
Quote Post

ZA 副部長、Hibi Manaka~

Member No.: 23939

QUOTE (Vexx @ Jul 8 2005, 03:18 PM)
... lets hope it hits her lunchbox and ruins her picnic...

Vexx, that's something to HOPE for? tongue.gif

Same models, but different personalities. Kinda like Tsubasa. Good feel of ambience here, and the Largo and Piro counterparts are well structured. You've captured the ambience well. Take your time on this one Fred.

I think the wrench was these just to get him to look down. It won't hit her, give its angle.

~Chun
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (6) All 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topic