l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (2) All [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Can We Just Close This Fucking Depressing Forum!?
jimthegreat1012
Posted: Jan 10 2016, 01:51 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 28015

Someone, put it out of its misery, please.

This post has been edited by jimthegreat1012 on Jan 10 2016, 02:03 AM
PMEmail PosterAOL
Fujii Yakumo
Posted: Jan 10 2016, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

Local

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 47336

Why, when the lights are coming back on again?

Fred is posting comics again! Yay!
PMEmail Poster
jimthegreat1012
Posted: Jan 10 2016, 02:45 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 28015

Because this art forum is dead, and will be forever. It gets one post a year, if it's lucky.
Everyone moved onto conceptart.org and the like years ago. Megatokyo itself hasn't been relevant in almost ten years. This place will never see new members. This whole site should be trashed.

This post has been edited by jimthegreat1012 on Jan 10 2016, 02:45 PM
PMEmail PosterAOL
Merekat
Posted: Jan 11 2016, 01:55 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

Group: Rogue Mods
Member No.: 55

And yet somehow across the whole of the internet vying for your attention, this forum's existence offends you so deeply you feel compelled to post comments that only serve to make others feel negatively.

Warnings might not be poignant at this time, but if you decide to graffiti the walls, it is wholly preventable.

Post some art of worth and be useful to this place, if only for the respected memory of what it was at one time. If you are longing so much for it to revive, be part of the solution and draw people back.

Edit: For the record, I really miss it, too.

This post has been edited by Merekat on Jan 11 2016, 01:59 PM
PMEmail Poster
Raptor007
Posted: Jan 13 2016, 01:18 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 1412

HEY Merekat!!!
good to see you around, I was showing some drawing buddies of mine this site, lol
Do you have a Facebook for your artwork?

here is mine
https://www.facebook.com/RaptorArtStudios/
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Raptor007
Posted: Jan 13 2016, 01:33 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Sorry Jim..but I have a LOT of really good memories from this place
and it's because of the members, and the help I got from here, that I got better with my artwork
I now help out others on facebook drawing groups the same way that I was help here, with draw overs, and tutorials
My Webpage
Rocko'sModernLife
Posted: Jan 13 2016, 09:26 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 27876

This Forum will be revived with Largo's return.

On the fourth day, at first light. Look to the East.

I drew a cat.
user posted image

This post has been edited by Rocko'sModernLife on Jan 13 2016, 09:26 PM
PMEmail PosterAOL
Raptor007
Posted: Jan 13 2016, 11:43 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Here are some things I did in 2015
oh and all those ties are hand painted (most sold at some anime cons I went to)
and I'm actually going to try and get folks on here from some FB groups I'm in
we'll see what happens smile.gif
enjoy the art!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by Raptor007 on Jan 13 2016, 11:45 PM
Black Kitty
Posted: Jan 14 2016, 01:25 AM
Quote Post

Roundcat McLOLcat

Group: Mafiosi
Member No.: 665

I have been drawing birds. Birds birds birds. Bird's the word.

user posted image
Raptor007
Posted: Jan 14 2016, 01:35 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

I hear ya Black kitty smile.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Mamma Peach
Posted: Jan 14 2016, 09:19 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 76699

I love those ties! (I'm a bird fan too. laugh.gif )

Really I should start drawing again. I've been letting life eclipse my art. And I also happen to be a fairly new member, at least new enough to not have explored these parts of the forum or know some of the older members.
PMUsers Website
Merekat
Posted: Jan 15 2016, 10:34 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

Heh. Heyo guys. Been quite a while, how's it going?

Kitty, dem's some FINE birds. Rocko, love the negative space. Raptor, wow, you've been busy. I really like those ties, makes me wistfully wish they were silk-screened because I'm textile snobbish. ;}

Welcome to the forums, Peach! The people you see here are an olde crewe, and I suspect there's a lot more through ye olde lurking. But yeah, the heyday was something special here. Who knows, maybe we can get some old timers to dust the place off again, I dunno. I know lately I've been checking here and thereish out of nostalgia.

Oddly, I don't have many ready sketches to post. My site has some update imagery, but not the very latest from the old job. What I'm doing now is a lot of work for myself but not ready to show until it's done. If you want to see what I've somewhat done in the last few years, it's here: www.merekatcreations.com . I keep meaning to update it more...

It'd be nice to see other lurkers post. Maybe they will. ;}
PMEmail Poster
Homeworld
Posted: Jan 16 2016, 07:02 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 29260

Wow, a thread! Finding this place more than 12 years ago, posting in the party threads, receiving and dishing out critique (however misguided it might've been, reading some of these old posts is agonizingly embarrassing) really helped me decide to abandon my tech support career ambitions, and get more serious about art.

I stumbled in here again because i was sleuthing for some info on FJ; he's always been a big inspiration for me, and i haven't been able to find any updates on his blog for quite some time now; Seeing this thread really annoyed me and threw off my focus, but i'm glad to see that some of the old timers are still checking by occasionally! I've yet to find a successful community with the same kind of vibe as MTAD, so even if it's for posterity, and despite all the image URLs being broken and lack of new members , there's absolutely no reason to "trash" years' worth of history on a whim..
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
Char
Posted: Jan 16 2016, 12:54 PM
Quote Post

♪So I got married♪
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 803

Just wanted to drop a note that, glad that the place is anything but dead~
PMEmail PosterIntegrity Messenger IMICQAOLYahooMSN
Elginive
Posted: Jan 20 2016, 03:55 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 6259

I don't know the last time I posted on this forum. It's been a long time.

But, some times you find yourself reminiscing about the things that have passed; and I found my way here. To my surprise, a post that is relevantly recent. It certainly isn't the place it once was, but for many of us, it was the foundation that started us on a path that could only be for the better. I think those memories are irreplaceable and so crucial. Even if this place isn't "Alive"- it's worth it to leave it here. To a testament for those who came and went. It's a structure that holds the archive of a community come and gone. The shared growth of all those who contributed an excitement for growth and betterment. Encouraging each other to get better.

This forum was known to be critical and to the point. If there were things to improve, you heard it. As a 14 year old who joined this forum and had only ever heard praise "you're such an amazing artist!"- It was a hard learning curve. But it was what I needed. I realized how much I had to learn, and I got serious.

I just wanted to leave my thanks to those who were vital at that stage of my life.

Merekat, Dr. Cloud, Plufim, Shonensan, TheCat, TsuchiTochi, Matsuno... So many more that I can't even remember.

When I first joined MT:
user posted image

A few weeks ago:
user posted image

TsuchiTochi:
user posted image

Matsuno:
user posted image

Shonensan:
user posted image

Plufim:
user posted image

Dr. Cloud

Thank you. MegaTokyo smile.gif

This post has been edited by Elginive on Jan 20 2016, 03:56 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
Nova
Posted: Jan 22 2016, 08:09 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 8688

Whoa, I do my monthly check in and there's a new thread and people!

Since others are posting their first work from here, this was my very first post in the MT forums, and I remember being torn to shreds about how big my noses were (: (not much has changed there). This place was always great for constructive criticism.

user posted image

Here's some stuff from recently (I went on a "I need to get better with traditional media" kick over Christmas):

My first attempts at scratchboard (sorry for blah photo) and pastel:
user posted image

A couple of character concepts for a new webcomic idea that I've since scrapped in favour of something else (I'm putting my first webcomic out to pasture):
user posted image

And I posted these here a couple of summers ago (has it already been that long?), but I like them enough to want to share again...some pieces for a Game of Thrones fanzine:

user posted image
Merekat
Posted: Jan 25 2016, 07:33 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

Heh. I guess more people are just as nostalgic. Welcome back, folks! It's good to see everyone. And all the arts. It's heartwarming to see that so many of you kept going forward with your artwork and improving so much.

I find myself at a loss, funny enough. My art has gone into... interesting directions. And I'm neck-deep in a few big projects that don't have sketches to show. Yet I'd love to see this place get back on its feet, just not sure what I have to contribute art-wise. That feels hypocritical. Hm...

Love seeing the art posts, though. Love seeing what you guys have been up to. Homeworld: FJ's still doin stuff, but it's his choice in postin'. I'm sure it'll come eventually. Char: Hey whatup, my man? ;} Good to see you, too. Elginive: Thank you for the memories. Nova: For the record, I really hope I wasn't one that got on the nose thing. And if I was, I totally regret it now.
PMEmail Poster
Nova
Posted: Jan 26 2016, 04:33 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

It wasn't you (: And besides, it was good (and valid, ha) critique...clearly it didn't scare me away from this fine establishment!

EDIT: Just went back in my posts (note to self, there's a reason you repressed your days as a 12 year old on the Internet, hoo boy), and I guess it wasn't the very first post here, just the first I remember....probably because I remind myself of it every time I draw a face.

Man, I really really miss the heyday of this place. I didn't just learn how to receive critique, I learned how to give it, too, which IMHO is a much harder skill to learn. There were always artists I looked up to and those who were improving alongside me, and it was never so big that I didn't recognize the people posting. :'(

This post has been edited by Nova on Jan 26 2016, 04:43 PM
Merekat
Posted: Jan 26 2016, 05:04 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

Yeah, true dat. A lot of folks improved quite fast, this place was crazy awesome and helpful and I really liked how many people stepped up to the plate to offer useful critique. Even if some of the critiques were a little on rails more than I personally liked, it was still a big boon to have people supporting. I always wondered if the other art forums out there were less forgiving of hobbyists (frequently anime hobbyists at that) and that's why we got the wanderers. That's why I stuck around for so long... didn't think it was fair they got that treatment elsewhere. Everyone deserves a chance to improve their craft.
PMEmail Poster
Nova
Posted: Jan 26 2016, 05:18 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

QUOTE (Merekat @ Jan 26 2016, 06:04 PM)
Yeah, true dat. A lot of folks improved quite fast, this place was crazy awesome and helpful and I really liked how many people stepped up to the plate to offer useful critique. Even if some of the critiques were a little on rails more than I personally liked, it was still a big boon to have people supporting. I always wondered if the other art forums out there were less forgiving of hobbyists (frequently anime hobbyists at that) and that's why we got the wanderers. That's why I stuck around for so long... didn't think it was fair they got that treatment elsewhere. Everyone deserves a chance to improve their craft.

I'm still a bit wary of sites like ConceptArt...back then it was this holy pedestal of incredible painters and artists to me, and I've never felt enough like a "real artist" to join a site like that, even in the years since (silly, I know, but first impressions die hard). You're totally right in that this was one of the few places that embraced but pushed people just starting to draw, and it's interesting to me that I haven't found another place quite like it. Twitter and Tumblr don't really have the forum architecture that lends itself to a give and take critique and subsequent improvement.
Merekat
Posted: Jan 26 2016, 07:29 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

Well, I think the key is you have to have someone draw a line in the sand and post the pool rules for forums. But yes, perhaps the way forums existed isn't what the internet does nowadays. I'm trying to figure out the new media stuff. It moves strangely...
PMEmail Poster
Mamma Peach
Posted: Jan 27 2016, 08:48 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 76699

... and more and more impersonally. I think we try to make it imitate life, but it still remains an ephemeral dream.

I just found out yesterday (again) how that with a single click everything you spent months (or even years) building can vanish in an instant, but then someone somewhere might actually have a copy saved (and did). Then you wonder if it's worth the effort to reconstruct it...

I always think that in time, maybe a generation or two, we'll get the hang of this and stable internet communities will arise, but then I remember that it's built on technology and technology constantly changes. So, no, we will never have something stable. It will always keep changing, vanishing, and appearing, like the ephemeral dream that it is. We just have fun while it lasts (and keep back up copies of what you want to hang on to).
PMUsers Website
Merekat
Posted: Jan 31 2016, 09:20 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One
Group Icon

Heh. Well, while we're waxing philosophical I can totally relate to the 'weirding ways' of the internet making you feel like you popped sideways into another dimension. I've been trying to poke my head back up and look around after what feels like ages.

Sorry to hear you had such a scare with your project, but I'm happy to hear you had a backup that saved the day. Triple that and keep it safe!

So what's everyone trying to work on nowadays?
PMEmail Poster
Nova
Posted: Feb 1 2016, 03:14 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Finally finished up the PhD and started a real job, and as such I'm trying to spin up another comic project since my last one kinda got strangled by school u_u
Gorion
Posted: Feb 3 2016, 10:40 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 547

Wow, it's been forever since I've been in here, and I come to find this thread. I just went "Wow, someone's having a bad day."

Then I saw that it kind of started people talking and sharing some art.

So that's cool, I was never too much of a participant in this part of the forum. I mostly just RPed in some of the other parts.

And to answer the question "What have I been up to?" Mostly a podcast and drawing art.

Here's some of the fan art I've done recently for RWBY.

user posted image

user posted image

If you want to see more, you can find it over on my DA or Tumblr.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) All [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topic