l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Computer Builds & Part Reviews, Does this CPU make me look fat?
TheStupidOne
Posted: Apr 14 2009, 03:22 AM
Quote Post

♫ <3 Satori~ ♪
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32218

Alright, to try to make things a bit more useful, instead of the old megathread where people just post random parts and go "LOL IS THIS GOOD", instead I want to compile recommendations for X part and put them into categories, for low-end, mid-range, and high-end respectively.

I will try to keep the category posts updated as much as possible, but please be aware some of the things linked to may no longer be manufactured or easily found.

If you're looking for recommendations and opinions on a build you're looking into, please feel free to open a thread for it. This thread is meant to help those who have no clue what to look for or what they may need when looking to build a PC.

Asking for a recommendation
----------
Please please please check the relevant category posts BEFORE posting. If what you're looking for is not there, then please post the following information.

Part Type:
Preferred Manufacturer:
Price Range (in dollars):

Try to describe in detail what you're looking to use it for. After your recommendation is filled, I will merge the recommendation into the relevant posts.

Posting a recommendation
----------
Please try to post recommendations in the following format, to make it easier for me to compile together.

Part Type:
Manufacturer/Model:
Price (as of posting):
Link to product:
Link to any reviews:

Try to link to a Newegg or manufacturer's product page, preferrably Newegg (even if it's cheaper somewhere else). Check sites like TechReport or Anandtech or HardOCP and see if a review has been made for it, and link to it please.

You don't have to be responding to someone asking for a recommendation, but it's helpful if you link to it if you are.

This post has been edited by TheStupidOne on Apr 17 2009, 02:31 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQAOLYahooMSN
TheStupidOne
Quote Post

♫ <3 Satori~ ♪
Group Icon

Low End Category
----------

Video Cards
Manufacturer: AMD
Model: Radeon 4830HD
Reviews: TechReport
Comments: Probably one of the best mid-range cards ever made, and sub $100 price sure doesn't hurt. Perfect for upgrading off of a crappy integrated chipset on a budget.

Manufacturer: Nvidia
Model: Geforce 9500GT
Reviews: Guru3D
Comments: Hardly a strong gamer, but hands down the best card for HTPC with it's pixel perfect and jitter free 24p playback (for Bluray viewing) over HDMI. Only downside is the lack of an onboard encoder for 7.1 audio over HDMI, but it does support passthrough of 5.1 from motherboards with SPDIF headers (most boards <2yrs old)

This post has been edited by TheStupidOne on Apr 17 2009, 02:08 AM
TheStupidOne
Quote Post

♫ <3 Satori~ ♪
Group Icon

Reserved for Mid-Range Category

This post has been edited by TheStupidOne on Apr 14 2009, 03:23 AM
TheStupidOne
Posted: Apr 14 2009, 03:23 AM
Quote Post

♫ <3 Satori~ ♪
Group Icon

Reserved for High-End Category

This post has been edited by TheStupidOne on Apr 14 2009, 03:23 AM
Kuroyume
Posted: Jan 11 2010, 09:54 AM
Quote Post

Local

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 3134

Part Type: GPU
Manufacturer/Model: ATI Radeon 4670
Price (as of posting): 70-80 dollars, depending on the manufacturer
Link to product: Sapphire 4670 at Newegg
Link to any reviews: Hardware Guru
Legit Reviews
Elite Bastards
AnandTech
Comments: this is an impressive little card for it's price. I've been able to play pretty much anything i've thrown at it at a 1680x1050 resolution with everything maxed out and either 2x or 4x AA (including MW2). Since it's a very mature card, most manufacturers offer custom cooling and connectivity. Just make sure you get the DDR3 version of the card and not the DDR2.

This post has been edited by Kuroyume on Jan 11 2010, 09:59 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
sarkeizen
Posted: Feb 5 2013, 09:54 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 567

Part Type: Hard Drive
Manufacturer/Model: Western Digital Red 2TB (WD20EFRX)
Price (as of posting):$117 CDN (on special at NCIX)
Link to product:NCIX
Link to any reviews:AnandTech

Originally when I populated my 10 drive array. I had a choice between the Seagate Baracuda 1.5TB (ST31500341AS) drives or WD Green 1.5 TB (WD15EARS). I had some experience with both as I managed two much larger arrays at work. One stocked with WD and the other Seagate. I chose the Seagates. What I didn't know is the failure rates on these appear to be much higher. Over three years I've averaged a replacement every 10 months.

The reason I turned down the WD Greens was because in most benchmarks I ran they performed worse.

I'm taking a pretty heterogeneous strategy on my RAID right now. When I need to replace a device I buy whatever 7200 rpm drive is available. Recently events caused me to pick up a WD Red. While I didn't do extensive benchmarks I will say that when comparing to the existing Seagates it seems to perform just as well.

I'm not sure if this is simply because it's way less aggressive at parking it's heads or spinning down the drive or the alleged "NAS optimizations". The extended warranty is nice but I disagree that's all that useful in NAS devices. Anyone who replaces a failed drive with a refurb isn't doing anything critical. If they had a warranty where I could exchange the drive for a new one (even over a shorter time period) that would be good. Even better if I could simply walk into a computer store and do it right there.

This post has been edited by sarkeizen on Feb 5 2013, 11:42 AM
PMEmail PosterMSN
GOT-LISP-P
Posted: Sep 3 2013, 08:25 PM
Quote Post

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 41175

Hardware Recommendation Request

Part Type: 8+ port managed GbE switch with LACP support
Preferred Manufacturer: HP ProCurve, Cisco, and Netgear, in that order.
Price Range (in dollars): US$350-$850

I'm shopping for a gigabit switch with LACP-compatible link aggregation to connect two or three dual-NIC video workstations to a large NAS appliance which also supports link aggregation. I need aggregated GbE links because I'm working with uncompressed 10 bit HD video, requiring transfer rates in the neighborhood of 140-160 megaBYTEs per second, and a single GbE link handles less than 125 MB/second.

Thank you!
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
sarkeizen
Posted: Jan 21 2014, 03:09 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 567

QUOTE (GOT-LISP-P @ Sep 3 2013, 10:25 PM)
I need aggregated GbE links because I'm working with uncompressed 10 bit HD video, requiring transfer rates in the neighborhood of 140-160 megaBYTEs per second, and a single GbE link handles less than 125 MB/second.

Those are pretty modest requirements these days.

I would probably just troll cragslist for old 12/24/48 port equipment.

I bought a Cisco/Linksys SRW2048 for $50 on ebay that had been in a car accident. It's aggregate switching bandwidth is allegedly 96Gb/s and it has pretty crappy firmware. However I was easily able to push 250MB/s over it.
PMEmail PosterMSN
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options   Reply to this topicStart new topic