l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Piro crossing into Largo's reality in strip 394, Piro crossing into Largo's reality in strip 394
Speed Racer
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 07:32 AM
Quote Post

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 6037

Someone probably noticed this and commented on it, but I didn't see it in the main thread for 394 and it seems significant enough for its own thread: Piro sees Largo's Cataclysm Division credit card! Doesn't that set a precedent of some sort: Piro's somewhat reality-based world view intersecting with Largo's gaming/violence fantasy world view?

I know it has been pointed out that Piro shows skepticism at the card, but he does appear to see a credit card in Largo's hand with the word Cataclysm on it!
PM
Saotome35
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 07:48 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 12160

I believe ur right about that.........Maybe Piro is tired of trying to fight Largo on a Reality/Fantasy level and has decided to go wit da flow and maybe he just doesn't care..........
PMEmail Poster
ErekLich
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 08:04 AM
Quote Post

Local

Member No.: 12466

Fred has said that the two worlds are going to start intersecting more. (sorry but I don't have time to find the link) What I want to know is how Miho will cope with that. She herself has commented on the difficulty of playing both games at once -- I would imagine it's hard to be the Queen of Zombies and at the same time set Piro off-balance.
PMEmail Poster
O.P.
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 405

I'm not entirely sure that Piro is fully comprehending the truth of the card. He may well suspect that Largo being given an official-looking card with "Cataclysm" on it is just a sign that the authorities have realised what a disruptive guy they have in nice well-ordered Tokyo (no mention in dialogue that Piro really notices anything about the card, I don't think he's looking at Largo at all when Largo holds up the card; he gets the word Cataclysm from Largo's dialogue).

Other than Miho, I'd say the best chance for Largo-Piro crossover would be for Yuki to tell Piro what her father does.

Of course, when she does that, it will begin with "my father is a policeman" followed by Piro freaking out before she gets to the detail.
PMEmail Poster
Speed Racer
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 08:36 AM
Quote Post

In reply to:

Fred has said that the two worlds are going to start intersecting more.

Yes, I was wondering if this was a foreshadowing of a new direction for the next chapter. And I'm eagerly waiting for more revelations about how the "End Games" game world intersects with the rest of the strip, and, of course, about Miho's identity.
PM
Dani
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 09:03 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 10970

Also, I'd like to point out that Piro's world isn't necessarily as reality based as it seems. I know its been discussed before, although I can't find the thread.

Piro's world has entirely too many coincidences to be totally believable - Kimiko pouring coffee on him, not once but twice, is only the most obvious example, but there are more.

I think it can more truthfully be said that Piro and Largo are moving in different genres, with both realities just as "unbelievable." It's a little harder to catch on to the unreality of Piro's world because the unreality of Largo's world is so....dramatic.
PMEmail Poster
CountAlpicola
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 10:00 AM
Quote Post

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 10078

First of all, there is only one reality. It is the same reality for Piro, Largo, Miho, you, and me. What differs is their perceptions of that single objective reality.

You'll notice Largo looks at it as a Credit Card and MTCD Badge while Piro sees it as "a [credit] card with the word 'cataclysm' on it." Piro's perception leaves out everything about the MTCD which doesn't fit into his consciousness. Yet, we know that Ins. Sonoda and the MTCD are as real as Piro and Largo themselves. Again, perceptions not reality.

Proposed addition to the Drinking Game:
- Take a drink every time someone says or implies Piro and Largo live in different worlds.
(they don't, they just perceive the same world differently)
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
AncestralHamster
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 8984

In reply to:

Also, I'd like to point out that Piro's world isn't necessarily as reality based as it seems. I know its been discussed before, although I can't find the thread.

I've got it. I'm no Psieye, so I don't know where all the bodies are buried, but I do know where a fair number of them lie. [354] Martians, actually
In reply to:

I think it can more truthfully be said that Piro and Largo are moving in different genres, with both realities just as "unbelievable."

Agreed. A minor clarification, though. Megatoyko has a single shared physical reality. Piro and Largo have different perceptions of that reality. Fred has even said so in interviews. [Quoted here] So Megatoyko reality encompasses elements of both dating sims and FPS games, and Piro and Largo only percieve the elements that appeal to them or they consider relevant.

Miho, however, can see things from either boy's POV. [382] separate games Of all the characters for whom we've a POV comic for, she is the one who has the widest perspective on Megatoyko reality.

CountAlpicola:
In reply to:

Proposed addition to the Drinking Game:
- Take a drink every time someone says or implies Piro and Largo live in different worlds.
(they don't, they just perceive the same world differently)

I second the motion!
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
brite_pink_happy
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 10:59 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 5905

>Piro sees Largo's Cataclysm Division credit card! Doesn't that set a precedent of some sort

Piro is probably thinking "Oh great. Someone gave him a joke credit card. I really don't want to deal with this now."

As far as the two world views interacting, that may be much farther in the future. Right now, both Piro and Largo are being more solidly confirmed in their own separate realities-- Piro is interacting with real girls, and Largo is interacting with real monsters. Which should intensify the drama when the two world views -do- begin to merge.

PMEmail Poster
Speed Racer
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 11:45 AM
Quote Post

Thanks for catching me up with the latest understanding of how their differing worldviews operate. I still see this as a new development, though (which apparently is Fred's intention).
PM
O.P.
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 07:52 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 405

I didn't really ever notice anyone suggesting that they were in different physical realities. That would clearly be ridiculous. At least when I say different realities, it's just short for "different perceptions of reality". All this was explained in the original strip where Fred gave us this theme anyway, after all, with Largo and Piro focussing on different things in the same streetscape, it's not like it's any great realization

If you want a vaguely perceptive statement to give this post a point, I'll point out that Largo DOES see approximately all of what is physically there, he just only cares about certain bits of it most of the time. The trick of "Piro's reality" is that Piro and those associated with him always fail to actually be looking in the right direction to see Rent-A-Zilla or Giant Turtles Flying Through The Air, so their perception of reality is incomplete.

Miho is seeing everything (a la Largo), I'm pretty sure. BUT she has more of a Piro-verse perception of it all, which is to say she's capable of rational expression and focussing on human interaction rather than the weird things that she knows will get cleaned up within hours anyway.

I'm more interested in where Yuki's perception is (since as far as I know we've never seen her in a position where she'd demonstrate if she's got Piro-verse blindness too- does she tune out her father's "stupid turtle" type remarks?) But then, I never got the fuss about Darkly Cute even before she got a name
PMEmail Poster
Saotome35
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 09:02 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 12160

Actually in a way there are 2 different realities in motion Piro's and Largo's. Intersecting them could mean trouble but then again it might just end up with them just being casual around each other as usual. As for the card on a different standard, maybe Piro just doesn't care even though the word Cataclsym is written on it........
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options   Reply to this topicStart new topic