l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (2) All 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Can We Just Close This Fucking Depressing Forum!?
craft user
Posted: Feb 6 2016, 02:24 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 38402

First I want to say thank you to jimthegreat1012 for saying what I always wanted to say but never did. Ironic how the one post that gets traction is also the one asking for the forums demise.

My Icon was broken, was the violin the one I used before?

Also, I really should never read my old posts. I was like 15 but I sounded like I was 9. I'm still bad at grammar, thank god for spell check!

I really did like this place, everyone was so supportive of my crappy art.There where people just above my art level to keep me striving for more. Met so many great people that I talked to outside of the forum. MissWiggle, Inkmo, Raptor, and so many more that have been lost to time.

Old and Busted: 2005, 2006, 2009
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Ugg this stuff is so gross, but I can appreciate how far I've come.

What have I been up to since then?
Went to art school (yay debt!) Worked at a small animation studio, now I'm doing freelance and trying to make a business out of it!

New-n-hotness:
user posted image
user posted imageuser posted image
Itsa me!
user posted image

You can see more of my profesional work on my site http://www.alexmillerartist.com
And my more frquent updates on my tumblr http://alexmillerartist.tumblr.com/

Its awesome to see where people have gone and where they are headed. I would have never have guessed where I would be today, making the decisions that brought me here, and I think these forums helped me get here.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Ch3353N1nj4
Posted: Feb 8 2016, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

thank you MT:A&D

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 10433

every now and then I still come back here to remember the time of the internet before myspace, facebook, and all the new fangled social media.

Merekat, it is good to see you post again. I just got your PM from last summer as I logged in now, lol.

Here's an oil painting I've been working on recently on my twitch stream:

user posted image

I think it's funny that jim mentioned conceptart.org
anyone who's been there knows it's a shell of it's former 2Ks self.

I met Jason Manley at one point when TAD was happening and he was visiting the Richmond, VA studio, and then a few years ago it turned out he was doing shady shit so John English sued his ass.

These days, it seems that facebook art groups/cliques and artstation are all the rage. there's a new cghub type thing too but i don't know that it will be able to catch up with artstation?
I miss the community of here more than anything else though.
I remember keeping up with DrCloud on deviantART for a while and then I guess life got too busy because I haven't seen new work from him since 2014. It was funny seeing the subtle changes in his art style over time, and how he's toned down certain things compared to the old days, haha.

This post has been edited by Ch3353N1nj4 on Feb 8 2016, 02:44 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Ningen
Posted: Feb 8 2016, 10:18 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 55780

I love this one...
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
E-l337
Posted: Feb 9 2016, 03:34 AM
Quote Post

Father of Death

Member No.: 2719

Here's a fun thought/question: Is there an A&D IRC chat on freenode?

It seems to me that would be a nice way to get instant feedback on WIPs. I have many friends who like to hang out with other artists while they work on pieces these days - having someone to chat to can help them to better focus on their tasks, and drive them to continue working so they can show off their cool things.

And it would be a lot easier to be motivated to post things around here if we know other people are definitely going to be looking.

So, does such a place exist? And if not... maybe we should make one?
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
Nova
Posted: Feb 9 2016, 03:09 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 8688

Slack seems to be a great blend of chat/ individual forums/threads - might be worth making one of those!
craft user
Posted: Feb 10 2016, 01:53 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 38402

That new chat service Discord also has VoIP and text board type stuff you can easily make rooms in.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Monzayer Korzel
  Posted: Mar 31 2016, 11:15 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 142

Well the MTA&D forum might still be going.
but I am going to take my FTP server from 2001 offline and break all the links in my posts. sorry guys.
It's fun to read my posts as a someteen year old.

Recently I have found Iterative Drawing
It really does help build intuition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ufz75UvHs
user posted image

I'll check back in in 2021
PMEmail Poster
Holly Jolly
Posted: May 3 2016, 02:21 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 326

Well this was a fun read as I attempt to not do my homework.

I have been busy trying to get my art teaching license, and I often think of this forum while I write about my teaching philosophy.

This site helped me grow as an artist way more than any class.

My time to draw, and my passion to do so kind of died with this forum, generally speaking.

I have 5 year-old twin girls, and a 3 year-old daughter. I have been married for 11 years. I graduated with a BA in Animation back in 2012. Life has been good, even a bit maddening, and most certainly humbling. Yet it has been over a decade and I still look to a professional future that I enjoy and feel stable in.

Not sure if this forum will ever be what it once was, but I come back and sometimes hope I will find time to draw as much as I once did as I teenager.

Thanks to those that don't just linger.

This post has been edited by Holly Jolly on May 3 2016, 02:23 AM
cjonii
Posted: May 3 2016, 06:13 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 74558

Don't think i have much of a right to say anything, but whats the harm in an opinion.

I'd say that most forums are dieing, especially with the advent of non-intrusive live chats like discord. That said, I myself am a straggler coming from a closing forum elsewhere on the net. Despite this fact I don't think it is healthy to simply burn tools and toys because we are done using them. It may not ever be its former glory, but people do still post and read, if only to feel included in the story discussions. Maybe it's not your prefered forum, but it wont be anyone's if it gets closed.

I think there is a lot that can be done with a forum that doesn't work elsewhere, mostly due to the pacing of posts. If there is ever a point where a live chat can debate philosophy in a coherent manner involving 3-5 minute monologs from individuals then forums might be pointless. Until then I'd like to see as many survive as possible, as I have seen communities and friends made on technical help and corperate forums more often than in a random chat.
PMEmail Poster
Naru
Posted: Jun 10 2016, 02:33 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 556

I was just visiting by and I know this post is like 4 months old but figured i'll chime in with some stuff!

I do illustrations sometimes but I do graphic design stuff during the day smile.gif I'll be at Anime Expo in LA convention center so say hi if you are around.

I actually just did a 20ft wall that's going to be up at Anime Expo at the Hulu booth!

user posted image

Other than that I do a lot of life drawing these days with some anime stuff.

user posted image

user posted image

and WIP that I'm doing for an artshow i'm participating in.

user posted image

Here's my instagram if you guys wanna see any of my art stuff!
http://bit.ly/1YfxdpI

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
Dannthr
Posted: Jul 4 2016, 02:42 PM
Quote Post

Sound Painter

Member No.: 27625

Congratulations on the Anime Expo-sure!
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Jeffu
Posted: Jul 16 2016, 12:12 AM
Quote Post

stop poking me :(
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33958

Great to see all these old faces. smile.gif

I'm at a weird transition right now actually... did some cool stuff but ultimately things didn't work out and I'll be exploring new opportunities in about a month. Le sigh.

Bittersweet for sure.

My site is mostly current though.

Might be able to share something super interesting in about a month though that I think everyone would find neat. Heh heh.

edit: whaaat I'm a real mod now? :v

This post has been edited by Jeffu on Jul 16 2016, 12:13 AM
PMEmail Poster
Dannthr
Posted: Jul 16 2016, 10:24 PM
Quote Post

Sound Painter

Member No.: 27625

Definitely should've poked more often, Jeffu.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
ONI5
Posted: Oct 27 2016, 04:20 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 5459

This thread still lives......
PMEmail Poster
swisslad
Posted: Dec 4 2016, 06:36 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 23410

Don't know what compelled me to come back here just now.
Probably melancholy.

I've stopped drawing like a printer a few years back because of life but am starting to get back into it only to realize that I am so out of practice, it hurts my eyes.

Anyhoo, good to see some folks are still at it!
PMUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
Ch3353N1nj4
Posted: Jan 11 2017, 05:34 AM
Quote Post

thank you MT:A&D

Member No.: 10433

Looks like Merekat finally finished overhauling her site.

Today, it's my birthday and I'm putting together a collection of my sketchbook drawings from 2014-2016 to put up on Gumroad.

I got fired from my day job last month, the thursday before Christmas. sucks, but tbh I wanted out of that job too.
Nova
Posted: Jan 11 2017, 05:46 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 8688

Happy birthday! Sucks about the job though ): Hopefully the next thing will be even better!
KazenoKibou
Posted: Feb 2 2017, 10:55 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 759

So the link to this forum was still in my bookmark and decided to stop by... Its nice to see folks posting things here again.

I think I was there in the heyday, crazy popular with parties, and people who we looked up to, to comrades that we got better with....

I definitely do not want to go back and read my posts though! Very embarrassing >_<
I think I also need to man up to the fact that, I think I became one of grumpy veterans before I left....

Currently working as a graphic design assistant... Here are some drawings and things I've done.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

It's been so long that I forgot how to post images ^^;

I actually did look back into my older posts... tried to find a pic from my first post but the link is dead and I have no idea what it was (something about "broken angel" and "fox-kun"?), so instead I'll post the first pic that was up on dev art which I'm sure I have posted here as well:

user posted image

Edit: Wow I did not realize until I posted that it's been over 15 years since I joined?! How time flies.

This post has been edited by KazenoKibou on Feb 2 2017, 11:22 AM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) All 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topic