l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (5) All 1 2 [3] 4 5  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> [346] DPD: Broken Miho, [346] DPD: Broken Miho
NyteBlade
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 07:54 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 8291

that link gave me a page with nothing but this line of text on it.. "go to www.animecubed.com for this image. Don't support the site you just came from - they steal."
PMEmail Poster
D3X
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 08:15 AM
Quote Post

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 5729

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

I think there are a few truly valid points here, and so what if Fred (the "artist") is drawing on other sources of manga for his inspiration, if this is the result, I applaud it and demand more!

For a bit of history, check out FredArt.com for his back catalogue. The early Ruri works (gotta love RuriLinux) are fantastic, and also "inspired" by Martian Successor Nadesico if my memory serves, proof that Fred can't be put down for manifesting ideas from other manga in his works.
PMEmail Poster
vespira
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 08:27 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 4458

Woah. Trippage factor just jumped through the roof and the level above.

VNV Nation's "Dark Angel" was playing as this loaded. Piro, were you perchance listening to it when you did this? It just fits.

Two Words: KICK ASS.

it is good to be a Mihoist.

Mmm.... Goffik Goodness!!!!

Piro.. you ARE my hero.

I was listening to Darkangel last night about 4 hours before seeing this. When i saw it, I was playing Helium Vola's "Selig". THAT is a sweeet track. Side project of Deine Lakaien's Ernst Horne.

Again, props to Piro.

One word summary of this strip....
Boooooioiooioiiioiiioiiiiinnnnnngggg
PMEmail Poster
NyteBlade
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 08:28 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 8291

i didnt wake up on the wrong side of the bed.. hard to do that when you stay up all night playing games =) but no.. i just get so annoyed at forum monkeys making stupid predictions on every little thing they see drawn.. oh look shes sitting down! that must mean she has some sort of fear of heights originating from when she was abused by her drunken father as a child! belive it or not somebody really did say that in one of the comics i used to read...
PMEmail Poster
TGF
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 08:38 AM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 6758

This is how Miho will look in a few comics time, after the 1337 one finishes her. Good foreshadowing Piro!
PMEmail Poster
D3X
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 08:39 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 5729

Of course!! That explains why Kimiko is always sitting! And when she's not she wears "implants" so her view of the floor is obscured!

You genius!
PMEmail Poster
Piro
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

seraphim fanboy
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

ah, but that's part of the fun for people. I like reading people's speculations, not because I like to see if people are right or not, but its a real good indication that my drawings are getting thru to people on different levels. Sometimes, i draw something and no one reacts - thats kinda dissapointing, it means i missed, that i didnt get into the image what i thought i was.

A lot of people don't spend time speculating, and thats fine. Speculation is a single path, often you have to fill in blanks with your own perceptions that may or may not be correct, and its not unusual for something to be accepted as fact that never really WAS fact, only implied. but of course, causing that kind of confusion among readers is part of the fun, and also part of the message, when thats your goal.

Just for the record, there are a lot of things that influence this image. 'wings' are a common theme in anime, and all other sorts of art, and the symbolism can be taken at so many levels. I'm actually working on a rant where i talk about influences and thought paths, because this picture is a good example of one. The idea for this actually came from being influenced by two current anime shows, Haibane Renmei and Saikano (there is a illustration of Chise in particular that inspired the wing idea, tho the pose is much more 'broken doll' ish) Also, i have a lot of random reference material, including some copies of 'Gothic & Lolita' that helps with costuming ideas, to get the right idea across.

I know that an auctioned image could go for quite a bit more money that i am really comfortable with taking (the last one i did went for $1700+) and while this is great, i'm racked with guilt over the poor quality of the one that sold for that much. I wanted this image to not only be potent, but well drawn and detailed as well, so it will be at least somewhat worth whatever amount is bid on it.

Also, Merekat (who rendered the Pirogoeth image) is pretty much batting me around with a big mallet to let her render it, and I'm probably going to let her - so sometime in a month or so we should have a pretty kick-ass rendered image of this.

What else? I'm considering doing a series of these - MT girls with wings... each girl would have a different representation that comes from who they are. It's an intriquing idea, and i'm probably going to scribble on that all week.

piro
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Mic Turner
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 09:09 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 8297

Hmmmm...
Miho has broken wings...
Piro said he was influenced by Haibane Renmei...
Maybe influenced by episode 7?
A truly great work...
PMEmail Poster
tabyk
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 09:14 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Having just sat down and read it a couple days ago (first 4 volumes anyhow), when I first saw that image, instead of Armitage III, I was thinking the wings more reminded me of Clover. *sigh* Either way... I have this horrid feeling in my gut that I'm going to be involved in at least the initial round of bidding.
Mosh
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 09:29 AM
Quote Post

Ultimate l33t One

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 7942

this is one of my favorite DPD pieces of art. i really love the way piro drew the wings. simply exelant work. i truely wish i could draw that good.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Piro
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 09:36 AM
Quote Post

seraphim fanboy
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Oh, i forgot to add - the image is a lot wider than this (her entire wingspan is in the original). I have to stitch it together in photoshop to get the whole pic. Sometime this morning i'll post it on fredart in its full width - it honestly looks far more dramatic as an entire image, rather than cropped like this.

piro
Frank
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 09:55 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 1576

Fallen Angels implies a fall from grace, or of something that was once full of life, now dead. "Broken Miho" evokes that kind of feeling in me. Like what a couple people said, I like to take DPD's and other such pieces of this type as not really being a part of the story. Rather, they're more meant to be expressions of feeling on the part of the artist and of the character he or she draws. As such, when it comes to pieces like this, I tend to ramble on what the piece strikes in me rather than how it might or might not advance the plotline.

It's kind of funny how Miho talks about "empty shells" of people when in this, there is a mechanical quality to her that implies "emptiness". The idea of a toy, full of life and vigor when working, and dead when broken, is a parallel to Miho that is both disturbing and resonating at the same time.

The image, to me, is made all the more interesting considering the time of the year. One recalls the feeling of getting new toys for Christmas while the old ones from previous years sit in closets and under beds, either abandoned or not working - broken.
LFP6
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 10:13 AM
Quote Post

The Healer King!

Member No.: 6777

I'll admit, I was looking for the next episode of the Super Moe-Moe Ball duel....

BUT its 'curve balls' like this that make MT the Wifty thing that it is .

Domo, Piro-san.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
Blackeagle
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 10:36 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 871

In reply to:

What else? I'm considering doing a series of these - MT girls with wings... each girl would have a different representation that comes from who they are. It's an intriquing idea, and i'm probably going to scribble on that all week.

Sweet! Megatokyo girls with wings!

I knew it, everyone wants to be like Boo!

Maybe Piro could include a picture of Seraphim w/o wings (since we've seen plenty of her with them).
PMEmail Poster
thrash
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 11:05 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 650

In reply to:

Maybe Piro could include a picture of Seraphim w/o wings (since we've seen plenty of her with them).

Seraphim-without-wings shows up pretty frequently in the omake already, since she's the avatar of the real Seraphim.

Also, just for reference, we've already seen one version of winged Nanasawa-san in "but my wings are only small wings."

What a fascinating concept, though. How many kinds of wings are there, for so many different girls?

Seraphim has her handy compact-sized angel's wings.
We'll soon see Tohya-san's broken steampunk mechanical wings in all their hubris.
Hayasaka-san's wings must be terrible and beautiful, all at once.
Yuki-chan's wings are delicate and fragile-looking, but strong.
Nanasawa-san's I want just to wait and see: no preconceptions.
Ping-chan's are the hardest to visualize -- what kind of wings would a more-3D-than-most-human-girls android need, or want? High-tech mechanical would be a cop-out, the one thing I wouldn't expect.
vespira
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 12:37 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 4458

oh god yes! I think fredart will be experiencing a nice bandwidth spike once you post the full image.

I could see this being printed on one of those nice cloth wall hangings. I'm thinking about doing one on my own. Wall hangings printed on good fabric kick ass when you illuminate a room with black lights like I do. I've got a project for this weekend.

Oh, and BTW Piro.. i think you can safely say that this image, if auctioned, will catch a LOT more than $1700. There are some really psychotic CoM members out there. I should know. happy.gif

PMEmail Poster
Mic Turner
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 12:52 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 8297

Ping-chan's are the hardest to visualize -- what kind of wings would a more-3D-than-most-human-girls android need, or want? High-tech mechanical would be a cop-out, the one thing I wouldn't expect.

Hmmmm... wings of light?
PMEmail Poster
Caduceuskun
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 02:13 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 5191

In reply to:

First thing i did notice was probably due to recently replaying American McGee's Alice. The Jabberwork in that game has wings just like that drawn here. Other people have mentioned an anime as the possible source of the wings, possible Alice/the anime borrowed off one another?

He's right; even if there was no inspiration from it, the Jabberwock's wings in Alice are very similar to Miho's wings here. I'd imagine Alice and Miho would get along well...
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Raine_Weather
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 02:22 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 3027

For some reason, when I looked at those wings the first thing thst came to my mind was burnt
I'm really not sure why, after studying it I realized they were mechanical, but for the first few seconds they seemed like crisped, burnt wings...
PMEmail Poster
Ph34rmonger
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 03:49 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 4886

When I saw the wings, I had a powerful image of, shattered hopes, and broken glass. It is terrible, but lovely.
Amazing, Fred, as per usual. I think you have exceeded yourself, and you will do so again I am sure.
I want to bid on the picture, if not to buy it than to drive the price up so Fred gets more mad cash. Come to think of it, I'm going to preorder a book now. Every little bit helps, no?

(side note: I am enraged. My computer is on the fritz and refuses to show the picture below Miho's hairline. I had to use my mother's computer to see the whole thing. Grrr...I was so angry this morning. I had to wait till school was over to see the whole piece of art.)
PMEmail Poster
Tanetris
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 03:55 PM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 137

I'd like to say that this is a perfect example of just what I was saying in this thread..
PMAOL
Sorwen
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 04:13 PM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 6859

I posted this else where, but IMHO she represents a fallen angel of the cyber world.
PMUsers Website
collapser
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 05:22 PM
Quote Post

Tourist

Member No.: 8337

sheesh, haven't you people seen
any thing?

great miho pic in any event.
PMEmail Poster
Psieye
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 06:07 PM
Quote Post

Speculator & Lore Hunter

Member No.: 5841

I'm trying to think of how many different wings there are:
> Angel
> Demon
> Birds (e.g. Eagle, Sparrow, etc)
> Insect
> Faery/Butterfly
> Dragon/Lizard
> Simple, toy-ish mechanical {like what Miho has today}
> High tech mechanical (e.g. aeroplane wings)
> Sci-fi tech mechanical
> Elemental (e.g. wings of fire, wings of ice, wings of light)
> Gargoyle/stone

Also, it's possible that a pair of wings don't have to match - like Urd's Angel in OMG - one white wing, one black wing to mirror her half-goddess, half-demon blood.

And the girls could have many pairs of wings instead of one pair, like a bee or a fly or a high-level mythical creature.

So many choices... Can't think who to match up with what...

Oh and what about the minor female characters? Mami and Asako immediately come to mind. Then Megumi, Meimi, GTL class female student group, Nurse Sugawara, Sayuri-san (from Sight, was there for Kimiko's audition) come to mind too. Too much speculation can be fun!
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
chloe
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 09:38 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 2251

looks like to me that it is a Lain and Clover combination
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (5) All 1 2 [3] 4 5  Reply to this topicStart new topic