l33t hosting - our bandwidth pimps.  these guys r0x0rz
megatokyo - relax, we understand j00 what the hell is going on here?
who are these people?
please buy stuff or kimiko will cry...
rant and rave, tell everyone what you think.
comming soon - MT fan links and other stuff
fredart studios - the process behind the madness

Pages: (4) All 1 [2] 3 4  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Welcome Back Mafia!, Where get togethers get together
L337 m4n
Posted: Dec 6 2016, 06:14 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 53479

Someone who has been around since the early days. Ah how time has flown. In mafia I was a Touhou character, a Gundam pilot, on a ship with Xenomorphs, a Werewolf, and other memorable roles. Some I lasted till the end and others had me wonder who would stab who first. I look forward to seeing the game start anew.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
Alexanzer
Posted: Dec 6 2016, 12:48 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Mafiosi
Member No.: 78060

I'm pretty new around here by comparison to most of you. Stumbled on the mafia games after reading the comic. I enjoyed playing the Yin-Yang mafia quite a bit and running the Sting Remnants game was also quite fun.
PMEmail Poster
GameStar
Posted: Dec 6 2016, 12:57 PM
Quote Post

Local

Group: -Members-
Member No.: 30381

Well I'm not sure if anyone here knows me... or if you did who might remember me. Despite having the least post count I joined way back in 04 prolly earlier than most people. During that time I spent a lot of time here on the RP board before I decided to join the military because of 9-11. Actually I'd registered before then but there was a very long wait before I could get in, and thus the reason why I stopped posting and faded from memory.

About me, I'm a pretty hardcore gamer and avid RPer, as well as one of the friendliest people you would be lucky to know. Also id be really interested to hear what I missed while I was gone, I remember this place to be very very active back before I quite literally lost all my free time. I do want to apologize about forgetting about Megatokyo though, for I have found memories of this place and its surprising to me I could go for so long without thinking about it again even due to my circumstances.

Also since I just thought of it, and apologies for breaking the edit rule, it may be important to state this is very different than I expected it would be and have no experience with these mafia games, which I assume to be more like a game of clue than a traditional RP.

This post has been edited by GameStar on Dec 6 2016, 01:01 PM
PM
Rapierman
Posted: Dec 6 2016, 04:44 PM
Quote Post

Militant Warrior for Intelligence

Member No.: 33370

I'm only a recent addition, but I've had some Mafia experience. Sometimes a winner, sometimes a loser (well, most of the time a loser). I don't do the "mafia tells" thing (ask Wave, he knows).

Outside of that, I've been here since '05, following the MT story. I was once a frequent table-top gamer (RPG & strategy). I've dabbled some in the "MT:tC" before they lit off for parts unknown. If you read way back, you'll see that I've done some essay-like posts ("wall of text", they call it)....and have been surpassed by another in that respect.

.....and, outside of that, I work for Uncle Sam, helping to process tax returns....for however long that might last.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Rollo
Posted: Dec 6 2016, 06:13 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 53579

QUOTE (Rapierman @ Dec 6 2016, 10:44 PM)
.....and, outside of that, I work for Uncle Sam, helping to process tax returns....for however long that might last.

Obligatory...

user posted image

BOO BOOO BOOOO BOOOOO
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Vampirate
Posted: Dec 7 2016, 12:09 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 52375

Day 1 will begin tomorrow.
PMEmail Poster
Vampirate
Posted: Dec 7 2016, 09:09 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 52375

-Insert really cool Narrative here-

Day 1 has arrived and will either end when the time runs out on the clock or there is a lynch.

Player List
01. Rapierman
02. T3h Br0th3r
03. Myxthol
04. L337 m4n
05. Wave Master
06. 6Shooter
07. Dierfire
08. Rollo
09. Gamestar
10. Alexanzer
11. Moridin84

Time left for Day 1 <---time left in the day
PMEmail Poster
Dierfire
Posted: Dec 8 2016, 12:40 AM
Quote Post

Addict

Member No.: 78481

##Vote Wave Master

He is a frightening fellow.
Myxthol
Posted: Dec 8 2016, 01:15 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 19347

But he's so very mellow!
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
Moridin84
Posted: Dec 8 2016, 05:44 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 14034

Because he always tries to pin me down as MAFIA. I'm going to get him first!

##Vote Alexanzer
PMEmail PosterMSN
Wave Master
Posted: Dec 8 2016, 12:13 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Member No.: 41507

I am a fabulous fellow!

Unless, I'm mistaken, we are still missing Brother. I tried to jump right not voting before because I didn't want the game to stall on Day 1, but it seems like that won't be necessary. Going to make an unvote command just to be clear that the previous vote doesn't count.

##unvote
PM
Rollo
Posted: Dec 8 2016, 04:10 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

Wheel of Insanity, turn turn turn,
Who is the person that we must burn?

And the wheel stops on...

##Vote L337 m4n

There's a shot in the dark, with a Sony Killtrunk.

Dierfire
Posted: Dec 9 2016, 02:03 AM
Quote Post

Addict

It's too quiet...

I say that, of the players who have posted thus far, Myxthol is most likely to be Town (joking tone of response to my vote implies a degree of nonchalance that is less likely to come from a Mafia player because playing Mafia is stressful).

I could perhaps persuade myself to think similar things about Wave Master as well, but I know from experience that Wave Master can play cool as Mafia.

I'm probably going to mov my vote to someone who hasn't posted yet, but I'll wait a bit longer to see who else shows up.
Wave Master
Posted: Dec 10 2016, 02:16 AM
Quote Post

l33t One

I get the feeling we're not going to get a hammer on Day 1, but I'm not bothered by that from a narrative perspective, even though I suspect this is not the right type of game to be no-lynching.

Going to vote for Brother right now to see if he shows up. Generally speaking I want to point out that unless the game is detective or kill heavy for the town, successful lynches are necessary so more discussion and voting (or at least just more voting) will be necessary in the future.

##vote T3h Br0th3r
PM
Moridin84
Posted: Dec 10 2016, 10:41 AM
Quote Post

Senior l33t One

Member No.: 14034

Come on guys, what did you even sign up if you are not going make posts?

I get why other Mafia games have rules that insist that everyone must vote at least once per DAY.
PMEmail PosterMSN
GameStar
Posted: Dec 10 2016, 01:02 PM
Quote Post

Local

*yawns and wakes up* Woot my freetime has come! WEEEEEEEEEEE~!

So since Wave mentioned it, I mean its Day 1. Is it normal to kill someone day 1? What are you supposed to do this early, ask "Whoever is Mafia raise your hand"? Of course this is the first time Ive done one of these, so I could be doing it wrong. I mean Id expect theres more town people than there are mafia people or the game would be too easy for mafia right? And thus encouraging random lynching your more likely to lynch a towny this early. But since you have more experience with this maybe youd already know that... and you did already try voting for me even though you unvoted.

I wasn't going to, but I'll do as you suggested and vote.

##Vote Wave Master

Mafia member confirmed! Tried to get us to kill ourselves! *plays X-files background music*

PM
Dierfire
Posted: Dec 10 2016, 09:02 PM
Quote Post

Addict

I'm going to say that we should be voting for someone who hasn't posted yet.

##Vote T3h Br0th3r
GameStar
Posted: Dec 10 2016, 10:55 PM
Quote Post

Local

Well he still has time to vote. Or are you saying he's waiting to see who has the most votes before posting?
PM
L337 m4n
Posted: Dec 11 2016, 12:15 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Member No.: 53479

I say we vote based on random chance.

##vote Alexanzer
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
GameStar
Posted: Dec 11 2016, 12:23 AM
Quote Post

Local

Random chance means there probably wont be a lynching at all then since it'd be harder to get enough votes to lynch someone successfully, which undermines the vote. Even though my vote was also kind of random... I didnt roll dice though.
PM
Rapierman
Posted: Dec 11 2016, 09:43 AM
Quote Post

Militant Warrior for Intelligence

Member No.: 33370

I'm going with experience today:

##vote Wave Master
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Wave Master
Posted: Dec 11 2016, 01:35 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

So, for those of you who don't have experience playing Mafia or Werewolves, I'll just go over some basic things. Firstly, the original game concept is really meant to be played in person, and relies heavily on interpersonal cues (eye movement, facial expression, body language, tone of voice). When played online the game turns into something else entirely.

In a normal game (normal meaning a game that's generally town vs mafia and not factional), you can generally divide games into two categories. There are simple games, where the town players for the most part don't have abilities and the mafia have limited and simple abilities, and complex games, where most town players have abilities and the mafia players have varied and complex abilities to counter this.

In complex games the town can expect that it has a fair number of players with abilities that are investigative in nature. It can also sometimes expect it has some town players with the ability to kill. In this kind of situation, the town would usually want to be less aggressive with the lynch in the early phase of the game, since it can expect information to gradually accumulate as town players use their investigative night actions. Being hesitant on lynching reduces the chances of mistakenly lynching these players before they can learn anything useful, and then around midgame these players can start to reveal themselves and supply information, which is subject to assessment for trust.

In simple games the town cannot rely on investigative action results. There may be only one town player with an investigative action, or maybe even none. And even if there is one, there is a significant chance that any one player might die before gathering enough info to decide to reveal. If no investigative results are likely to be forthcoming in the future, then any passed lynch is just a missed chance to get lucky and kill a mafia, since future lynches are not any more likely to be successful than current lynches.

At the moment, I see no reason not to believe we are in a simple game.
PM
Wave Master
Posted: Dec 11 2016, 01:40 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

So, for those of you who don't have experience playing Mafia or Werewolves, I'll just go over some basic things. Firstly, the original game concept is really meant to be played in person, and relies heavily on interpersonal cues (eye movement, facial expression, body language, tone of voice). When played online the game turns into something else entirely.

In a normal game (normal meaning a game that's generally town vs mafia and not factional), you can generally divide games into two categories. There are simple games, where the town players for the most part don't have abilities and the mafia have limited and simple abilities, and complex games, where most town players have abilities and the mafia players have varied and complex abilities to counter this.

In complex games the town can expect that it has a fair number of players with abilities that are investigative in nature. It can also sometimes expect it has some town players with the ability to kill. In this kind of situation, the town would usually want to be less aggressive with the lynch in the early phase of the game, since it can expect information to gradually accumulate as town players use their investigative night actions. Being hesitant on lynching reduces the chances of mistakenly lynching these players before they can learn anything useful, and then around midgame these players can start to reveal themselves and supply information, which is subject to assessment for trust.

In simple games the town cannot rely on investigative action results. There may be only one town player with an investigative action, or maybe even none. And even if there is one, there is a significant chance that any one player might die before gathering enough info to decide to reveal. If no investigative results are likely to be forthcoming in the future, then any passed lynch is just a missed chance to get lucky and kill a mafia, since future lynches are not any more likely to be successful than current lynches.

PM
Rollo
Posted: Dec 11 2016, 05:28 PM
Quote Post

l33t One

QUOTE (Wave Master @ Dec 11 2016, 07:40 PM)

And given that right off the bat we know nothing about who does what, firing random shots and seeing what lands is as good a tactic as any.

Dierfire
Posted: Dec 11 2016, 11:03 PM
Quote Post

Addict

QUOTE (GameStar @ Dec 10 2016, 11:55 PM)
Well he still has time to vote. Or are you saying he's waiting to see who has the most votes before posting?

I'm saying that I don't find many of the players who are posting currently to be particularly suspicious, so I'm voting for one who hasn't posted (not all of the inactive players can be Mafia, but the density of Mafia players there might be slightly larger, and as an added bonus the Town players in there will be the ones not helping me read them).
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (4) All 1 [2] 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topic